National Cyle Windscreen Size Question

vinnie

Anyone close to my height have experience with the medium option?
Yep, I'm 6'3" and the medium option is crap. I assume it would be even worse for you.

Thank you for your reply - that sucks I was hoping the medium one would at least be decent. It's sometimes a burden to be this tall!!! I'm wondering if some of the short ones would actually spread out the wind and reduce the wind vibration.

• 2 weeks later...
I got about 250 miles using the National cycle tall windscreen. It is smaller than I expected from what people described. Nonetheless, it's significantly better than stock, but I can't say I'm 100% satisfied. Ive been playing with the low-high adjustment, but the wind catches the top of my helmet and causes a shake or buffet of my helmet still at 70mph or high. If I lean in more, it's completely gone, but it's not that comfy to stay leaned in. I was surprised that this was an issue. I also have the seat in the lowest position.

Not sure if there's anything I can do to help deflect the wind over my helmet an inch or so. I saw a clamp-on end deflector that someone posted in a different thread, but I don't know anything about those and if they will help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Update: I changed to the tall Touring screen and for me it is a huge improvement over the medium Sport Touring screen. The noisy, vibrating air is now a couple of inches above my helmet at 70-80mph. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam, so longer torso.

Since I already had the bracket amd hardware I was able to order just the large plastic screen directly from National Cycle for $160. After installation my wife proclaimed, "Oh my god that's ugly." I think she exaggerates, it doesn't look too bad. But who am I to judge style? I wear a grey Aerostich.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have about 2500 miles on my tall V-Stream shield, including 1000 miles in 24 hours this weekend. I'm 6'3" with a long torso, 33" inseam.

I am more pleased with this screen the more I use it. I still look over the screen, not through it, which is good because I hate having to peer through a bug plastered screen. I still get a few bugs on my helmet faceshield, but far fewer than before.

Airflow isn't silent, but it's far better than stock. If I forget my earplugs it's not the end of the world.

The cockpit is now relatively calm. I can easily flip open my modular helmet at up to highway speeds to take a sip of coffee or water.

HnLWfac.jpg

• 1 month later...
This thread has been extremely helpful. I was torn between the Sport (N20317) and the Tall (N20318). I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I ended up going with the Sport. I took a 30 minute ride today and it was such an improvement over stock. The wind hits the very top of my helmet, which is nice because the Bell Star has vents right there. I could really feel the breeze coming through the vents today.

I live in Texas, and the summers are brutal. So I didn't want to cut out all of the wind. It seems for my size, the Sport was the perfect fit.

Again, thanks for all that have contributed.

view?usp=sharingSince there's the issue with magnification on to the LCD display, I used some spare radiant barrier material (looks just like a windshield heat cover) and made a cover that I can easily pop on when I park outside.

I initially glued the corners together with Krazy glue, but I figure the heat will beat that down.  So I solved that issue in a very generally accepted methodology:  duct tape.  I suppose version 2 could have stitching with some outdoor friendly thread...but I'll use this and see how it goes.

view?usp=sharingPic

I'm 5.11 and I have the sport touring screen (middle size) and I use it in the lowest setting and I'm happy with it. I ride with my visor up most of the time. The stock screen seems to take high speeds a little more stable though. I always throw my jacket over my display to protect it from the sun, and park looking at the sun.

• 5 weeks later...
I am 5' 10" and installed the short dark tinted V-stream today. Build quality was impressive. Install was a breeze. No flapping at speeds up to 60 mph (stock would vibrate some for me at those speeds). I was only able to go for a short ride but initial impressions are slightly diminished wind noise. Might make more progress here playing with the height adjustment. However, buffeting was gone (my major concern).

Will need more miles for a full eval, but liking the improvement so far.

I have ridden probably over 8k miles with the Tall windscreen now. It was a major improvement to the stock windshield, but as I said earlier, it would be better for me if it was just a couple inches higher. When I duck my head down just slightly (not comfortably for long distances), I can get no wind buffeting/noise. Nonetheless, it's okay for a 2k mile weekend like I did this past weekend. I often ride with my visor up now because of it. The wind catches the top of my helmet still, but livable

I ride with a Parabellum tall windscreen which is 26".  I'm almost 6'1", I look well over the windscreen as compared to through it.  It has completely eliminated the noise and turbulence yet does allow air to reach my arms.  Heat is not an issue.  I can't imagine a better screen for tall riders.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Archived