Helimot gloves

rustyshackles

• Premium Member
Actually this isn't a review of the gloves (yet), as I purchased them just 2 days ago. I want to chime in about my buying experience.  

The business is literally a mom & pop store in Fremont, CA.  They used to make leather riding suits but now it's just gloves.  They've been around 29 years but I was treated by Helmut, one of the owners, as if I was the first customer in the door.

He spent considerable time asking me about my riding, taking hand measurements, and showing me the back room manufacturing operation.  It is clear that Helmut is both expert in and passionate about his trade.  He is also a keen judge of human nature, with a stature reminiscent of Howard Stern.

I learned about the properties of glove materials, the correct way to put on and take off gloves, the science behind hangovers, and a bit about what it takes to run a small business.  It was a true pleasure.  

I bought the Hi-5 gloves and can't wait to begin riding in them.  Another thing that sets Helimot apart from other manufacturers is that gloves can be returned for fine tuning of sizing if necessary.  They are expensive but the materials are clearly first rate.

If you're in the San Francisco area make time to visit Helimot.  It is like stepping back to a bygone era when pride in product and customer service trumped everything.  Businesses like these are disappearing one by one.

Earlier in the day I had visited RKA Luggage in Windsor, CA, a husband & wife motorcycle luggage maker, where I was also treated like family.  It was a great day, and my only regret was that my bike was back home in TX!

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member
Nice to hear it's still possible to get good service like this these days. I've been waiting on gloves from a large company in Duluth since Christmas and just gave up and cancelled.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Thanks for the write up. Also, thanks for the heads up on the place in Windsor. I used to live just south of there in Santa Rosa.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Also, you learned about the science behind hangovers??? Ha! Please tell me more. As I understand it, hangovers are the product of dehydration, lack of restful and effective sleep, and inflammation on various components of your body. I'd love to know if I have this right. :)

Archived