Bluetooth For Helmets

grayhawkglen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a Scala G9 for a few years with mixed results. When Cardo Scala told me they no longer support those (after 4yrs) and when it failed to connect to my wife's communicator - that was the last straw. Upgraded to the SENA 20S, dual pack and never looked back - been pretty happy with the SENA system thus far! Been using them for about a year now.

• 5 weeks later...
I use the UClear 100 - was considering Sena, but I'm like you and don't really want to talk to other riders, but want the ability to if needed. At half the cost of many of the Sena kits, and a simple installation, I'm pretty happy with how it's worked so far.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dmizer
Also the Sena 5 does do GPS and music at the same time - it fades the music while the GPS instructions are delivered.

The SMH-5 does not have this capability.

I presume you are using your phone to both listen to music and GPS directions. This means your phone is reducing the music volume while delivering GPS directions, not the Sena SMH-5. The same as if you had stuck ear buds in.

If you have separate devices for GPS and music, you cannot listen to both at the same time with the SMH-5. You can both listen to music and GPS directions at the same time even with separate devices if you have the 20S because the 20S has two bluetooth modules and audio mixing capability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
So far l'm liking the 20s. Today I got my first," low battery" voice warning. In less than two minutes it gave me a 2nd. Warning and shut off. I went about three days at 4 hrs a day without charge because I wanted to see how far it would go. I'm going to get a better modular helmet though because mine has too much wind noise. The 20s speakers sound good. I really like the Sena app on my I-phone. Very handy.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Also the Sena 5 does do GPS and music at the same time - it fades the music while the GPS instructions are delivered.
The SMH-5 does not have this capability. 
I presume you are using your phone to both listen to music and GPS directions. This means your phone is reducing the music volume while delivering GPS directions, not the Sena SMH-5. The same as if you had stuck ear buds in.

If you have separate devices for GPS and music, you cannot listen to both at the same time with the SMH-5. You can both listen to music and GPS directions at the same time even with separate devices if you have the 20S because the 20S has two bluetooth modules and audio mixing capability.
You can't listen to both at exactly the same time, but you definitely can have both a phone and a separate GPS paired at the same time.  When the GPS gives instructions, it will just temporarily cut off the music.  
I had a SMH-5 and this year upgraded to an "invisible" 10u (for my Shoei Neotec).  I freaking love not having a big control module mounted on the helmet.  Only downside is that charging is a slight pain in the butt since I have to keep the whole helmet next to the charger and can't just pull the little module to charge it.

Guest dmizer
You can't listen to both at exactly the same time, but you definitely can have both a phone and a separate GPS paired at the same time.  When the GPS gives instructions, it will just temporarily cut off the music.

Yes, I am aware of this. But hornetmike indicated that you could indeed listen to both at exactly the same time, which is not true on any of the SMH series units, and as far as I'm aware is only possible on the 20S.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the Sena SMH-5 and have been very happy with it. Plenty of volume in a moderately noisy helmet, excellent range, and excellent call quality even at interstate speeds. I would buy this again if I had to, Amazon.com had the two-pack pair for ~$190 USD when I purchased. Product support is great too, the manufacturer continues to push updated firmware and provide support for the devices when most other tech manufacturers are retiring devices and considering them "legacy".

I wanted bluetooth in my helmet just for GPS and music. I just bought some speakers and wired them into my helmet and bought an HTC bluetooth stereoclip (https://www.amazon.ca/HTC-Bluetooth-Streaming-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B00CAYAIL0)....It's about an inch long and tucks in above the cheek pad and you can't notice it's there.

Speakers and bluetooth for under $100 and works like a charm.

I use Uclear HBC 100 plus, I have been pretty happy with it. Good for driver to passenger communication; have never use with other riders. Music through my phone works well, volume is pretty good considering I wear ear plugs while riding. Phone calls are a little hard to hear. I don't have any experience with other brands. Price very competitive compared to other units.

Take my opinion with the caveat that one of the main reasons I have been riding for nearly 40 years is to get away from all the other voices that want to occupy space in my head. So, I didn't want to spend a lot of dough on the communications aspect of the thing, mainly wanting it for GPS pairing and when I want to listen to tunes, which is only typically on long slab rides. Last year I bought the Sena SMH10R and have been very happy with it.

I don't make calls on the bike. I can take cell phone calls if I want, people can't believe I'm on the motorcycle when they talk to me. The battery life has been way beyond what is advertised. For example, I hung the helmet up at one point for nearly a month, forgetting to turn the unit off. When I picked up the helmet it was still on standby and operating.

Sound quality is adequate or better, and I always wear 32db foam earplugs. If I was going to do it again, I'd probably spend the extra bucks for the SMH10 or the 10S.

BTW, revzilla.com has a couple of them right now at 25% off.

Thanks to all who replied. I wound up with the Sena 10R. Very happy with it!
Good to hear!  
I had mine for a couple of years until one day where I was in the pouring rain for over 8 hours. (minus lunch stop)
was not a fun day and cost me my sena.   Considering when I got home I was so wet from the rain that the shower felt dry, it was not surprising that my sena fried.

Anyway upgrade to 20S and the included speakers are even better, much faster connect to BT devices.
and love being able to remove the main unit to recharge vs having the helmet sit on my desk to charge.

Guest dmizer
Thanks to all who replied. I wound up with the Sena 10R. Very happy with it!
Good to hear!  
I had mine for a couple of years until one day where I was in the pouring rain for over 8 hours. (minus lunch stop)
was not a fun day and cost me my sena.   Considering when I got home I was so wet from the rain that the shower felt dry, it was not surprising that my sena fried.

Anyway upgrade to 20S and the included speakers are even better, much faster connect to BT devices.
and love being able to remove the main unit to recharge vs having the helmet sit on my desk to charge.

wess88 purchased the new 10R, not the older SMH-10R.

As an aside, my SMH-10 was rendered inert by rain about 2 years ago, but I was able to revive it by removing the innards from the housing and sticking them in rice. My two-up riding partner is still using it.

The 20S is way better though.

Archived