Handling in High Winds

Has anybody else noticed how absolutely awesome the FJ-09 handles in high wind/cross wind conditions? I ride the So. Cal canyons near Palm Springs a lot and this morning it was blowing like crazy.    Truly gusty, nasty wind conditions (drizzling too, but that's another story) with major gusts every time I came around a bend.  And the FJ-09?  Rock steady.  I've had other tall, narrow bikes and they were much more susceptible to crosswinds and I'd often have to slow down to a crawl to just stay on the road.  Sure, it's no short, fat Hayabusa (ugh) but considering it's weight and design this puppy holds the road in most every condition.  Lovin' it! 

• Premium Member
To a point.

@johan and I encountered some really strong cross winds in Belgium which has a lot of high motorway viaducts over the river valleys in the Ardennes. With a topbox fitted my bike was being pushed quite hard and I had a silly lean angle just to keep going straight!

These were extreme conditions but the light weight and high leverage of the top box is not a good combination.

In everyday riding it's okay and the torque of the engine helps as it is easy to use the throttle to compensate when the wind tries to push you offline.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Don't get too over confident. I was in high winds on a mountain road and had to slow down a bit to stay in control. Peaks and valleys can channel winds in local areas and make the wind speed very high, very unexpectedly.

• Premium Member
I've experienced some very strong/gusting crosswinds on some northern AB secondary Hwys.
I was literally forced to ride the shoulder @ 70-80kmph (speed limit was 90) as each gust would put me right back on the center line.

And I know I must have looked odd to passers by with my FJs lean angle going straight. After an hour of that, boy did my neck hurt...

I took a 2015 FJ-09 out for a test ride last week. The winds were 25mph steady and gusting 30-35. I rode down the interstate at 75 with a 100% crosswind with no problems. I couldn't have been more impressed with the way it handled. A calm day is a rarity here in the plains of South Dakota. Anyone who's ever ridden across the state on their way to the Sturgis rally know what I'm talking about.
BTW, I pick up my new Red FJ-09 next Saturday.

• Premium Member
I find my Fj09 very planted. Hasn't felt unstable at all. I think having a loaded bike with a loaded topbox will need some amount of compensation in riding. Just like riding two up as well. Have to be aware of weight differences no matter what kind of bike you ride. it's physics...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I had some real strong cross winds today and was going down the highway around 85-90mph when it came out of nowhere. The bike definitely handled the wind well, but I slowed down to around 70 until the wind died down. The front end felt like it was giving me a shake when the wind hit. I'd like to do full luggage, so I imagine the bike will handle the wind very differently..more like a sail boat (hopefully not)

How susceptible a bike is to cross winds is directly related to how tightly the rider is gripping the bars. The Tracer's design means you naturally maintain quite a light grip and that really improves its response compared to many other bikes. However, being blown around tends to make a rider feel a bit nervous and nervous riders tend to grip more tightly, which makes the bike more sensitive to the wind instead of less. If you are unlucky enough to be caught out in adverse conditions, make a conscious effort to relax your arms and hands and you will find it much easier to keep the bike going where you want it to.

• Premium Member
How susceptible a bike is to cross winds is directly related to how tightly the rider is gripping the bars. The Tracer's design means you naturally maintain quite a light grip and that really improves its response compared to many other bikes. However, being blown around tends to make a rider feel a bit nervous and nervous riders tend to grip more tightly, which makes the bike more sensitive to the wind instead of less. If you are unlucky enough to be caught out in adverse conditions, make a conscious effort to relax your arms and hands and you will find it much easier to keep the bike going where you want it to.

This will also contribute to the steering wobble people experience. Go over a bump with a too tight grip and you may initiate a steering input. Crude suspension does not help in this respect
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived