Video of test ride with oem windscreen removed

Guest captrob73

Guest captrob73
I read a few posts about the oem windscreen causing wind noise, so I removed it and took a ride. What a difference, it was like riding a different bike. Check out the video. Also I couldn't resist riding by a Donald Trump Rally.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ytVoBW8Y7A]

Let us know how you do when on a long/multi day trip, when it may be raining and cold. Always interested in simple changes that make the ride nicer. As easy as it is to take the windshield off, this may be the way to go on day rides when the temps are above 65. Thanks for posting your video and comments.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Let us know how you do when on a long/multi day trip, when it may be raining and cold. Always interested in simple changes that make the ride nicer. As easy as it is to take the windshield off, this may be the way to go on day rides when the temps are above 65. Thanks for posting your video and comments.

I used to ride my naked sv650 down into the low 40's and rain all the time. Granted I was miserable, but I can be a stubborn sob lol. It's all personal preference how much discomfort you can take.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

Guest captrob73
Hopefully I get a long ride in this coming weekend, if so I'll definitely post a update.

• Premium Member
I went the opposite route for my needs. I installed the biggest touring screen from National Cycle. I'm 5'9, and have the adjustment in the lowest position. Direct wind seems to be just over the top of my helmet and just to my outer shoulder area. So there is a huge calm cockpit area for basically my whole body. So if wind noise and buffeting is the issue, this shield cures all that. 
I really enjoyed those 2nd & 3rd gear wheelies in your video. Nice to know I'm not the only member with questionable driving habbits. Within my 1st hundred miles of ownership I discovered that a slight hard upshift to 2nd gear around 40 mph, followed by a third gear shift in the air puts the tyre back on the ground slightly past the 100 mph mark. That's about 1/8 mile at 10 oclock, around 5 seconds with over 65 pmh gain in speed. OMG, I'm going to really love this bike.

Guest captrob73
I went the opposite route for my needs. I installed the biggest touring screen from National Cycle. I'm 5'9, and have the adjustment in the lowest position. Direct wind seems to be just over the top of my helmet and just to my outer shoulder area. So there is a huge calm cockpit area for basically my whole body. So if wind noise and buffeting is the issue, this shield cures all that.  I really enjoyed those 2nd & 3rd gear wheelies in your video. Nice to know I'm not the only member with questionable driving habbits. Within my 1st hundred miles of ownership I discovered that a slight hard upshift to 2nd gear around 40 mph, followed by a third gear shift in the air puts the tyre back on the ground slightly past the 100 mph mark. That's about 1/8 mile at 10 oclock, around 5 seconds with over 65 pmh gain in speed. OMG, I'm going to really love this bike.
I can't resist riding like a hooligan on this bike. When I first got the bike I didn't know you had to turn off the traction control for it to wheelie, I though something was wrong. LOL

Guest captrob73
I took on the OEM screen off my way home today. What a total POS. It just needs to go in the trash. I'm riding no shield until my big comes in. Clean air.......... Thanks for the idea.
Having owned many Yamaha motorcycles and watercraft I'm shocked they would allow the POS windscreen on the bike. Also if you really take a good look at the windscreen it doesn't even look good. at least IMO
I've decided to hold off purchasing a aftermarket screen, I'm just gonna make a cover for the mounting holes and see how I like it long term.

I'm tempted to cut down the stocker, paint the back side to make it opaque, and have it just slightly higher than the gauges, and cut to style like the stock one, but smaller.

Flyscreen from crap I suppose?

I have a Givi touring for the winter/cooler months.

I noticed on my other bikes, that deleting the mirrors was a good way to reduce turbulence too. (But they were mounted on the fairing.)

Bar end mirrors just work better for me period. (I'm a big dude, so like to see more than my elbows and arms.)

Might remove the stock hand guards, but I also am looking at ways to make them work better, and with some paint, look better too? If they are going to be there, they should match the bike in my view, or be high viz with lights to make the bike look wider to what's in front of you.

Archived