High Idle that Doesn't Go Away...

Here's one I don't think I've seen here before.  For the second time in about a month, when I re-started my bike today after about an hour lunch break in the middle of my afternoon ride, the idle raced up to about 2,700 RPM and wouldn't settle down.     Blipped the throttle a couple of times, still wouldn't drop to its normal 1,100 rpm idle. Rode it anyway thinking with a little riding it would drop back down.  20 minutes and two stop signs later it was still idling at 2,700 RPM.  Stopped and turned it off for a couple of minutes, restarted and it was back to normal.  I have no idea what caused this or if anybody else has had this experience.  But anything that makes me think the throttle might have a mind of its own is a little disconcerting.  Is the next step an engine that won't drop below 5,000 RPM??

• Premium Member
It's happened to me once, maybe twice.

In my last life, as a tech in a Xerox factory in the UK I have some experience of this type of oddity. I put the casue down to a confused electron or two. As with your home PC, washing machine etc, the ECU on the Yamaha will not boot up correctly on occasion. Something interrupts the loading of the operating system from ROM to RAM, a sensor does not send the right reading, an alien dematerialised nearby etc etc. As with your home PC, turning it off and back on again fixes it.

It's not something to get anxious about, all electronics do it, even military spec. stuff.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

The same thing, high idle, happened to mine first thing in the morning about 2 weeks ago.
It was like having the choke stuck on. I rode it around the block and blipped the revs a few times and the high idle speed did not change.
I turned it off, removed the key, waited a few moments, and it was back to normal with the next start.
Hasn't happened since.

Yeah, no sorry. Throttle clean isn't going to fix this issue.

It's happened to me a couple times too. Most of the time if I don't allow the bike to "boot up" as Wessie mentioned.

My theory is its related to the YCC-T system. When key is powered on, the throttle plates go to full open, full closed, and then settle to a "starting" position. My guess is that the "starting position" bleeds in a little bit too much air, leading to the high idle. Shutting the bike off and on causes a new "starting position" to be "learned" by the ECU and the throttle plates - resulting in normal operation.

Just a theory.....

Skip
  • Thumbsup 1

My bike has had this problem since it was nearly new. Mine runs at 2200 to 2400 rpm when it occurs.  I now have 27000 miles and it still does it every 500 or so miles.  I have turned the ignition off and restarted a few times when it has happened without curing the problem.  It normally lasts for 5 minutes to 15 minutes and then goes back to normal operation.  I've not been able to figure a pattern to it.  I consider it a safety issue and have tried to get Yamaha to figure it out and fix it but because the dealer was unable to observe it happening, Yamaha said there was nothing they could do.  I thought I was the only one!

• 3 months later...
This looks like it's becoming a common problem as it  happens to me just about every other morning going to work. The bike idles at about 2500 rpm until I turn the key off and on. I can do it now while rolling with a quick switch off-on and it never happens at any other time (on my ride home or during the day) .

I'm having a similar issue. Noticed it about two weeks ago. When I get off the freeway on my commute, it'll idle around 2.5k rpm at that stop light. I'll rev it once or twice and seems to settle, definitely haven't had it happen at the next stop light one city block away.

Bike has 32,000 miles now without a valve adjustment. I may have this issue checked out when I bring it in for the adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...
My ECU was flashed by 2 wheel dynoworks. This problem sprouted up way afterwards, so I assume the flash is not a factor. Could it be related to a throttle position sensor going bad? It's so strange, it occurs maybe a few times a week. I can feel it on the freeway when I let off the gas, the bike doesn't de-accelerate as quickly. When I get to a red light, I can try to stall the bike and it'll go from 2500 rpm down to 1200 or so, where it should be.

• 2 years later...