High Idle that Doesn't Go Away...

My f@#&ing engine just seized. Well so much for yamaha reliability...
Okay, we need more details. 
First, are you okay? Were you riding when it happened?

Secondly, what year bike, how many miles, bought new or used?
Looking forward to hearing what happened with this one.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Sorry for delay I was on the freeway doing 90. Heard a re as really loud bearing failure in the top left side of the head. Dealer says it's from the cam chain tensioner melting. I was able to get to the shoulder as soon as I pulled in the clutch it seized. I actually coasted like a a quarter mile to the next gas station. Dealer wants 1400 labor + parts... I'm thinking it's time to upgrade to the tracer 900gt:)

Sorry for delay I was on the freeway doing 90. Heard a re as really loud bearing failure in the top left side of the head. Dealer says it's from the cam chain tensioner melting. I was able to get to the shoulder as soon as I pulled in the clutch it seized. I actually coasted like a a quarter mile to the next gas station. Dealer wants 1400 labor + parts... I'm thinking it's time to upgrade to the tracer 900gt:)

OEM cam chain tensioner??

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

OEM cam chain tensioner??

sitting on the bike, the CCT is on the right side down by top motor mount...left side has the water pump/starter...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Still need some details.... what year bike, and how many miles? How long have you owned it? 
Did it have the cam chain recall performed?

For the right price, I might be interested in buying your FJ in 'as is' condition. I could do an engine swap pretty easily in my garage this winter. My biggest challenge would be getting it from CA to MO.

It's 2016. Already traded her in for a tracer 900gt. Bike had almost 40k on it. Out of warranty. It had the recall done on it. I ride 65 miles a day to work and back, I'd rather have peace of mind, and cruise control. Lol. I appreciate everyone who's tried to help. Hopefully the new bike is as reliable as all my other Yammys have been. Ill keep posting hopefully with fun pictures and stories!?
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 days with the new bike. Im so glad I traded up, what a better riding experience, all kinds of nice! Seat is way more cushy. Factory brakes are spongy though I had hh pads on the old fj and they had a much needed strong initial bite. Probably the best part is that quickshifter, should be standard on all bikes!

• 4 months later...

well, had this happen to me this morning. 40 degrees, 2015 with 15K miles. i've only had the bike for 6 months. this is the first time its happened. At first I thought it was because I just installed HeliBars barback risers, but then I remembered after I installed it I ran it and did the bars lock to lock with no problems. Anyway, once I got to work, turned off, then on it went away.

I'm fine with it as long as I know to just turn it off and on.

• 5 months later...

I have it sometimes. Even when thr engine is in proper operation temperature.

when speeding down and pulling the clutch it happens. It stays up in high revs.

than i give a full throtgle and it in normal revs again.

there is a servomotor what opens your throttle body valves. When you have a cold start and speeding up and down.

It can get stuck .

Domeone else with similar problems?

how was it solved?

greeeetzzz

Harm

3 hours ago, Mt09harrumpie said:

I have it sometimes. Even when thr engine is in proper operation temperature.

when speeding down and pulling the clutch it happens. It stays up in high revs.

than i give a full throtgle and it in normal revs again.

there is a servomotor what opens your throttle body valves. When you have a cold start and speeding up and down.

It can get stuck .

Domeone else with similar problems?

how was it solved?

greeeetzzz

Harm

Make sure you have 3-5mm of freeplay in your throttle tube when rotated gently before it pulls the cables. It sounds like it isn’t “snapping” closed accurately every time.

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Mt09harrumpie said:

It can get stuck .

It should never get stuck.  If you are riding and pull in the clutch and the revs stay high rpm then something is dangerously wrong.  Personally, I wouldn't ride it until I got that fixed.

If you put your bike up on a stand and freely turn the wheel side to side, your idle shouldn't change at all and when you open and close the throttle the rpms should smoothly rise and smoothly drop to idle again, no hesitation, no hanging at high idle.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 7 months later...

I was really hoping there was a resolution to this... I too have the 2500rpm high-idle-hang that happens at random. 

If I cycle the key, it fixes it. If I wait it out, it usually fixes itself after a minute or two.