Reflective Rim Tape

• Premium Member
After a coworker commented on how difficult I was to see on my early morning commute I decided to increase my visibility.  I purchased reflective rim tape from Customtaylor33.  It took about 60 minutes to install and I'm extremely happy with it.  Cant wait to get out on the road and try it out.

4531269.jpg

4531271.jpg

4531270.jpg

4531272.jpg

• Premium Member
I just ordered some, it will be here friday, that looks great and I am happy with what I am seeing. Look forward to install, any suggestions? I read in reviews that it went on pretty easily.
Better brush up on your swearing and cursing.  
I suck at striping. Badly. On my SV it took nearly 2 hours to do and looked like a blind monkey put them on.

YMMV... 
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
I just ordered some, it will be here friday, that looks great and I am happy with what I am seeing. Look forward to install, any suggestions? I read in reviews that it went on pretty easily.
The install was pretty simple; clean, peel, stick.  The hardest part was deciding between blue and yellow.  I'm fairly OCD when it comes to things being straight, or round in this matter, so It took longer than it probably should have.  The second to last photo I posted is driving me crazy as I type.  I was under the impression it was one piece per side but its actually about six arcs per rim side.  That works out well since its extremely sticky when peeled off the backing.  Once its stuck, its stuck.  More than six inches of exposed tape would have ended up stuck to everything in sight.  You overlap each peace by about 3mm.  They provided two extra arcs and a few stars and circles for good measure.

The second to last photo I posted is driving me crazy as I type. 
So I can see myself being the same way, tape will be here Friday, I will spend ALL night and part of the next morning making sure it is as straight (round, lined up, whatever) as possible.  I can see why the photo would make you crazy, it would do the same to me and probably will. Why blue?  It seems that with the front forks gold you would have automatically went gold, kinda what I am doing.  I am also looking into shorty gold levers as well, any input on that?  

Better brush up on your swearing and cursing.  
I suck at striping. Badly. On my SV it took nearly 2 hours to do and looked like a blind monkey put them on.

YMMV... 
My grandpa was a sailor so the swearing and cursing is up to par, sounds like I will be needing it.  

• Premium Member
NO way I could install that - it would be halfway up the sidewall, and stuck all over my face!

The addition of the reflective wheel tape looks great! When I ordered mine, I asked for some extra straight pieces to line some body panels.

For those who question their ability, I really encourage you to give a go. It's a cheap reversible mod that makes you more visible and is surprising simple.

• Premium Member
NO way I could install that - it would be halfway up the sidewall, and stuck all over my face!

It's actually not as bad as you think. Clean the rims with alcohol. Only peel about an inch and a half of the backing off and, as you work your way around the rim, peel off just enough backing to stay ahead of your progress. Overlap about a quarter inch at the ends. Slow but steady and it will be easier than you think. I was very happy with the results, and have had many comments regarding how much more visibility the rim tape provides at night.

• Premium Member
My previous bike was race blue, half my gear still is as well.  Its just so pretty.  I went with yellow since it would probably be more visible, and tie in with the forks. 

I did this in red on my FZ1, and need to get some for the FJ09. It really makes the bike pop out at night to side traffic, and that can save your life.

One thing I did not have, but would like is inner rim stripes with slashes or hashes.
They spin and can be seen from behind and at slight angles from behind and oncoming. This allows any vehicle who pulls up at night to pull out into traffic, to get another possible "flashing" or moving item to catch their attention, and STOP them from pulling out into your moving bike.

Same with left turning traffic, perhaps even more dangerous to bikes, day or night, the headlights reflecting on the moving round and round wheels, with wide tape along the rim between the bead and the spokes really is eye catching, and if done right, could save your life, while looking cool.

how can you get it off - when (not if) I screw it up?

It's applied with water/baby shampoo mixture. So it is pretty easy to move into position. Once you're happy, you squeegee it with your finger to remove air bubbles. If you decide you don't like it later you can peel it off and wash any residue off with soap and water.

Archived