Reflective Rim Tape

• Premium Member
how can you get it off - when (not if) I screw it up?
It's applied with water/baby shampoo mixture. So it is pretty easy to move into position. Once you're happy, you squeegee it with your finger to remove air bubbles. If you decide you don't like it later you can peel it off and wash any residue off with soap and water.
Thanks, that sounds easy enough - I think I may try this.....

• Premium Member
how can you get it off - when (not if) I screw it up?
It's applied with water/baby shampoo mixture. So it is pretty easy to move into position. Once you're happy, you squeegee it with your finger to remove air bubbles. If you decide you don't like it later you can peel it off and wash any residue off with soap and water.

Hmmmm.. I don't know if you're using a different brand but the instructions on mine recommended to apply the tape dry after cleaning the rim. I used one thumb against the rim as a guide and just worked slowly around as I previously described. I was able to do small lift and relocate adjustments when necessary as I applied the tape. I'll see if I can recheck the instructions (and the brand of my tape) and let you know.

*Edit* - What I used was "customTAYLOR33 Red High Intensity Grade Reflective Safety Rim Tape, 17"" (I bought from Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6188EM?psc=1  and available in several other colors).  Instructions are for dry installation.  Check out the review section and you'll see other's experiences installing.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Premium Member
OK, so I tried again.

It's OK. I'm just gonna leave the front wheel black. 'Cause I can.  8-)

FJ_09_R1_zpsp61d8ohh.jpg
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Yeah things went a lot smoother today on the installation, for no good reason at all. Maybe my hands were a bit steadier? Or maybe I successfully buried by OCDishness long enough to properly finish? Who knows. But it turned out pretty well. Not perfect, but good enough to ride on.

It's a bit of a nod to my friend Bruce. Back in the SV days my friend had done a GSXR front end swap onto his SV, and the front wheel that came with his Gixxer parts was blue. We used to razz on him about the one blue, one black wheel but he didn't give a flip. I always thought it kinda cool, and different, so what the hell. You won't find any other FJ's out there like mine.  ;)

Added bonus: Low reflectivity front makes it harder for the po-po to notice wheelies.  P-)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Hmmmm.. I don't know if you're using a different brand but the instructions on mine recommended to apply the tape dry after cleaning the rim. I used one thumb against the rim as a guide and just worked slowly around as I previously described. I was able to do small lift and relocate adjustments when necessary as I applied the tape. I'll see if I can recheck the instructions (and the brand of my tape) and let you know. 
*Edit* - What I used was "customTAYLOR33 Red High Intensity Grade Reflective Safety Rim Tape, 17"" (I bought from Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6188EM?psc=1  and available in several other colors).  Instructions are for dry installation.  Check out the review section and you'll see other's experiences installing.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

We do have different products and I should have checked that before posting. I chose the "wet" install product by this ebay seller "cgd_graphics" because its more forgiving when applying it and I can loose patients pretty quick. When I applied my strips I worked in a clockwise fashion, overlapping the next strip by about 5mm so the wind didn't lift the edges as I drove. 

• Premium Member

We do have different products and I should have checked that before posting. I chose the "wet" install product by this ebay seller "cgd_graphics" because its more forgiving when applying it and I can loose patients pretty quick. When I applied my strips I worked in a clockwise fashion, overlapping the next strip by about 5mm so the wind didn't lift the edges as I drove. 
I'm glad it worked out for you!  I also made sure that the overlap direction went with the rotation of the tires.  I didn't like the vision of the ends lifting and peeling back at speed.  :^)   

Rim tape installed and I love it, wish I could post pictures without using one of the two picture deposit apps, but I cannot, unless I'm just retarded and have not paid attention. I highly recommend this rim tape, highly reflective and even in day light makes the bike look better.

• Premium Member

I also made use of the extra pieces they include.  I took the two curved pieces, attempted to straighten them, and applied them to the trailing edge of the side fairings. Straight decals would work best but It'll do for now.  A few dots and stars were included on the sheet so I took the four dots and put them rear facing on my bar ends and passenger pegs.  This really lights things up from the rear

4545779.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
Thanks for posting on this topic - a friend driving behind me at night said that I was pretty hard to see, too.

I have the same model (black/grey) and am wondering which colour would be best. Am waxing between the yellow, orange, and white.
How does the yellow match with the forks? Do you think a dim orange might match better?

Thanks.

Archived