another ~800cc triple sports-tourer

• Premium Member
...You should be able to hear and sense where the motor is and not need the tach....
That is true... but it is a learned sense. There's a bit of a new machine caution i suspect, especially when moving from a bike with a different character. It'd be nice to have an old school analog tachometer, but the FJ's has good progress resolution and works pretty well IMO.... it's the "now you see it...now you don't" fuel gauge that i find to be a design misfire. Don't really know how the MV fuel gauge works, but a sliding bar design looks nice.
The FJ fuel gauge is a weird thing.  This is the first bike I have had with a fuel gauge, so was disappointed that at 50% it shows half empty, but will show full at 55%.  Oh well, I just keep an eye on things when the first big bar disappears.Cheers. 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

The FJ fuel gauge is a weird thing.  This is the first bike I have had with a fuel gauge, so was disappointed that at 50% it shows half empty, but will show full at 55%.  Oh well, I just keep an eye on things when the first big bar disappears.Cheers.

I suspect that the logic is that there should be little concern if the tank is at least half full, you still have over a half a tank left after all.  And you can make a pretty good educated guess if you really feel a need, based on miles and milage.  Then, when it gets below a half, the data becomes more pertinent and is reported in smaller increments, with a warning near empty. Quite logical and useful to me.

• Premium Member
I suspect that the logic is that there should be little concern if the tank is at least half full, you still have over a half a tank left after all.  And you can make a pretty good educated guess if you really feel a need, based on miles and milage.  Then, when it gets below a half, the data becomes more pertinent and is reported in smaller increments, with a warning near empty. Quite logical and useful to me.

As an Engineer, I don't like gauges that are so inaccurate.  2+ gallons and 4 gallons should not read the same.  But, never having had a gas gauge before I have just learned that if a long empty stretch is coming - gas up.Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member

As an Engineer, I don't like gauges that are so inaccurate.  2+ gallons and 4 gallons should not read the same.  But, never having had a gas gauge before I have just learned that if a long empty stretch is coming - gas up.Cheers
I don't even trust the fuel gauge in my cars and trucks... I know about what mpg they are getting so I know when they are low by the trip meter.
Same for the first bike with a fuel gauge I've ever had...
Really though on a bike trip.
Ride to breakfast, fuel the body and bike, ride 100-150 miles. Water more coffee, butt break? may as well get fuel. Repeat as necessary or desired.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I don't even trust the fuel gauge in my cars and trucks... I know about what mpg they are getting so I know when they are low by the trip meter.
Same for the first bike with a fuel gauge I've ever had...
Ride to breakfast, fuel the body and bike, ride 100-150 miles. Water more coffee, butt break? may as well get fuel. Repeat as necessary or desired.....

Just a reminder regarding buying a relatively small amount of fuel at 3 octane single hose pumps, from http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122944043385810527
"According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel. So when you pump a couple gallons of 93-octane premium after the previous customer pumped 87-octane regular, your fuel load would be diluted (not to mention overpriced).

This is more important to motorcyclists because bikes have smaller fuel tanks and a lower tolerance for low-octane gas compared with most cars. I have found that high-performance motorcycles designed to burn premium fuel run poorly on regular. They generally do not have the complex engine-control systems that allow cars to run on fuels of varying octane ratings.

I don't think diluting your premium fuel with a little regular will harm your motorcycle, especially if you always select the highest octane rating available. However, next time you're filling up you may want to get in line behind the driver with the highest-performance car in the station."

• Premium Member
Pumps in the UK have not had a fuel selector on a hose for decades, ever since we introduced unleaded in the 1980s. Each pump will have 2 or more hoses, each dispensing one fuel. Typically 3 hoses. 1 diesel, 1 regular unleaded 95 RON and another super uneladed 97-100 RON.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I don't even trust the fuel gauge in my cars and trucks... I know about what mpg they are getting so I know when they are low by the trip meter. Same for the first bike with a fuel gauge I've ever had...

Just a reminder regarding buying a relatively small amount of fuel at 3 octane single hose pumps, from http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122944043385810527
"According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel. So when you pump a couple gallons of 93-octane premium after the previous customer pumped 87-octane regular, your fuel load would be diluted (not to mention overpriced).

This is more important to motorcyclists because bikes have smaller fuel tanks and a lower tolerance for low-octane gas compared with most cars. I have found that high-performance motorcycles designed to burn premium fuel run poorly on regular. They generally do not have the complex engine-control systems that allow cars to run on fuels of varying octane ratings.

I don't think diluting your premium fuel with a little regular will harm your motorcycle, especially if you always select the highest octane rating available. However, next time you're filling up you may want to get in line behind the driver with the highest-performance car in the station."

You guys worry to much.. People are trying to modify these things to run in the dirt and people are worried about 1/3 of a gallon of 87 octane mixed with 2.5 gallons of 92 octane. It will never be a problem.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Pumps in the UK have not had a fuel selector on a hose for decades, ever since we introduced unleaded in the 1980s. Each pump will have 2 or more hoses, each dispensing one fuel. Typically 3 hoses. 1 diesel, 1 regular unleaded 95 RON and another super uneladed 97-100 RON.

Same here in Australia.
Separate hoses, 95, 98 and diesel.
And our fuel comes in litres !

• Premium Member

You guys worry to much.. People are trying to modify these things to run in the dirt and people are worried about 1/3 of a gallon of 87 octane mixed with 2.5 gallons of 92 octane. It will never be a problem.....

It's a bit like a GP surgery in here, where majority is the worried well rather than those with a real problem...

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...

Archived