Why you should have your suspension adjusted......

• Premium Member
After about 1500 miles, I was not terribly happy with the suspension on my brand new 2015 FJ-09. I started looking around for someone who A) I could trust, and B) knew enough to help me figure out how to set up my suspension for me, not some average rider imagined by Yamaha. I got kind of frustrated, and since I'm here in Seattle, I called 2WheelDyno to ask for a recommendation. Turns out, Nels now shares shop space with Optimum Performance Rider Training, who specialize in track configuration, training, as well as overall motorcycle maintenance.

They agreed to help, and walked me through why the ride felt so bad, and helped me understand a lot more about suspension than I ever thought possible. After riding with the new settings for 5 minutes, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Much better handling, and way more fun. And after 150 miles, I can't believe I didn't do this right off the showroom floor.

I guess my take away is if you aren't completely satisfied with your ride, this may be a good place to start, it certainly changed my view on what is possible with this bike.

After riding with the new settings for 5 minutes, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Much better handling, and way more fun. And after 150 miles, I can't believe I didn't do this right off the showroom floor. 

David - would you care to share with us your new settings and also your fully-kitted weight? Thank you in advance...
[em]Wordsmith[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

After riding with the new settings for 5 minutes, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Much better handling, and way more fun. And after 150 miles, I can't believe I didn't do this right off the showroom floor. 

David - would you care to share with us your new settings and also your fully-kitted weight? Thank you in advance...
[em]Wordsmith[/em]

Agreed...

• Premium Member
There is a section of video that you can watch on You Tube from,"A Twist of the Wrist II" that explains how to set up your suspension. It's very informative as well as the rest of the Video. There's even a abridged version that edits out the two bad acting young riders featured through out the video.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

After watching the linked Kieth Code video I set to my suspension. I had already set compression damping F&R one click softer than standard and run 3# less air pressure 33/39 which helped but still felt somewhat harsh.

I weigh 185 in street clothes but donned a jacket and helmet when taking measurements, no luggage though. Code suggests 25-30% for track or 30-35% sag with rider for street riding. Yamaha specs show rear has 130mm travel and front 137mm, so times 33% front should have around 45mm rider sag and rear 43mm. I ended up backing the shock preload one notch, from 3rd from softest, to second and still only have 36.5mm rider sag which is 28%. Backing each front preload 3 revolutions now reveals exactly 8 lines exposed and it measures 42mm sag or 31%. Hopefully it is now closer to correct and a little softer, I'll find out tomorrow.

It'd be interesting if people here would post where they have their suspension set for solo riding minimal luggage along with their weight.

After watching the linked Kieth Code video I set to my suspension. I had already set compression damping F&R one click softer than standard and run 3# less air pressure 33/39 which helped but still felt somewhat harsh.  
I weigh 185 in street clothes but donned a jacket and helmet when taking measurements, no luggage though. Code suggests 25-30% for track or 30-35% sag with rider for street riding. Yamaha specs show rear has 130mm travel and front 137mm, so times 33% front should have around 45mm rider sag and rear 43mm. I ended up backing the shock preload one notch, from 3rd from softest, to second and still only have 36.5mm rider sag which is 28%. Backing each front preload 3 revolutions now reveals exactly 8 lines exposed and it measures 42mm sag or 31%. Hopefully it is now closer to correct and a little softer, I'll find out tomorrow.

It'd be interesting if people here would post where they have their suspension set for solo riding minimal luggage along with their weight.
My current setting are as follows: Settings April 20th 2016

[em]Front Rebound[/em] – left untouched as factory setting.
[em]Front Preload[/em] – 18mm from top of nut.

[em]Rear Rebound[/em] – 1½ turns from fully in.
[em]Rear Preload[/em] – on second softest ‘click’ setting.
77yo.   Fully-kitted - 85kg (= 187 pounds).
Without any luggage, these settings offer a reasonable but worthwhile improvement in ride quality, I have found.  
BUT - a greater and quite unexpected improvement was noted last week when fitting two hard panniers (total weight empty = 10kg) plus a very light load of overnight stuff, adding another 4kg at most.   Total therefore = 14kg.   The difference was quite marked, and very pleasing.   In future I may put a couple of 2kg bags of sugar into the panniers and leave them fitted all the time!
[em]Wordsmith
[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks Wordsmith. I'm not sure I understand your front preload setting but we're about the same weight and use the same rear preload. I know I had mine at 3 up solo and even 4 up with luggage and camping gear which was simply too much.
I just came back from a ride which intentionally included a lot of patched asphalt and I can say it is much improved, basically changed from harsh to just firm. I'm really liking this bike.

IMG_2310_zpsvx6nddz4.jpg

Thanks Wordsmith. I'm not sure I understand your front preload setting IMG_2310_zpsvx6nddz4.jpg
No diss, milo - but I'm not sure what's not to understand!  Page 4-33 of the Owner's Manual shows a drawing of the measurement 'distance A" - that's what I referred to.   On my bike it shows 7 engraved lines - seems pretty close to yours. http://i.imgur.com/ajqtIut.jpg

Archived