side-stand ...

The rubber-topped FZ6 rider pegs I’ve fitted give a bit more comfort and room than the OE items, but they protrude outwards quite a bit more and restrict easy access to the ball-ended side-stand lowering ‘stem’.

Has anyone seen an aftermarket fitment or other approach that might fix this without major re-engineering? It’s by no means a major issue, but would be handy.

Thanks in advance…

[em]Wordsmith[/em][em]
[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/Cbp5RL7r.jpg[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
will one of the "big foot" plates do the job? There are 2 varieties, ones to add length to the side stand so the bike is more upright (common mod on adventure bikes) or the larger surface area to stop the stand sinking in soft ground. I suppose there is a 3rd type that combines both. Plenty on Ebay or you could cobble up something out of an old squeezy bottle and some sticky back plastic to paraphrase Valerie Singleton.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
The rubber-topped FZ6 rider pegs I’ve fitted give a bit more comfort and room than the OE items, but they protrude outwards quite a bit more and restrict easy access to the ball-ended side-stand lowering ‘stem’. 
Has anyone seen an aftermarket fitment or other approach that might fix this without major re-engineering? It’s by no means a major issue, but would be handy.

Thanks in advance…

[em]Wordsmith[/em][em]
[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/Cbp5RL7r.jpg[/em]

The first thing I did when I bought my FJ was to take it over to my machinist and had him lengthen the sidestand about 1 3/4"-2" and weld a larger foot on. In stock form, I had trouble getting my right leg over the saddle, and the stock "gripper" seat didn't help. Now, I step up on the peg and over the saddle easily. At 70, I'm not as limber as I once was, so the "hurdle" mount wasn't good for me either. Finding the sidestand tab is easy now, not so much so before.  

4539222.jpg  

The first thing I did when I bought my FJ was to take it over to my machinist and had him lengthen the sidestand about 1 3/4"-2" and weld a larger foot on. In stock form, I had trouble getting my right leg over the saddle, and the stock "gripper" seat didn't help. Now, I step up on the peg and over the saddle easily. At 70, I'm not as limber as I once was, so the "hurdle" mount wasn't good for me either. Finding the sidestand tab is easy now, not so much so before.  

Thanks, pep.   That's seems the obvious and neatest approach - issue is getting someone to do it for me!   I'll have to ask around in the eventual absence of some kind-of slip-on extender. Thanks for the other idea, Wessie - that may work too.
Appreciate the pic and advice...
[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I was really having difficulty with my size 12 boots finding the side stand. I finally did the deed. I cut off the ball end, welded it to a piece of 5/16 rod. Then welded in place of the original. This is a great modification. Now my side stand is super easy to find without looking. Do it!johnFJ09Kickstand_zpsqwkvt2wn.jpgFJ09Kickstand2_zpsjoocqwbp.jpg

• Premium Member

Thanks, pep.   That's seems the obvious and neatest approach - issue is getting someone to do it for me!   I'll have to ask around in the eventual absence of some kind-of slip-on extender. Thanks for the other idea, Wessie - that may work too.
Appreciate the pic and advice...
[em]W[/em]

I think Wessie mentioned this is a favorite mod for the Adventure Riders, and it was for me also in that life. Ask some of those riders about a good machinist to do the work. An, your dealers folks might know of someone. Ask questions, make new friends! 

If intending to weld-on another length of material, can I take it that the OE side-stand is weldable mild steel?
[em]W[/em]

• 2 weeks later...
Been thinking about this, would a simple tight rubber hose ( like some coolant hose ) stuck on the end of the existing peg work?  I don't have that much of an issue getting the stand down ( I too have the FZ6 pegs ) but a short lengthening would help.

Been thinking about this, would a simple tight rubber hose ( like some coolant hose ) stuck on the end of the existing peg work?  I don't have that much of an issue getting the stand down ( I too have the FZ6 pegs ) but a short lengthening would help.
A [em]short[/em] lengthening? [em] Hmmm!   [/em]But it (rubber hose) may well work so long as it was not too bendy.   And if the appearance didn't bother you... 

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
I was really having difficulty with my size 12 boots finding the side stand. I finally did the deed. I cut off the ball end, welded it to a piece of 5/16 rod. Then welded in place of the original. This is a great modification. Now my side stand is super easy to find without looking. Do it!johnFJ09Kickstand_zpsqwkvt2wn.jpgFJ09Kickstand2_zpsjoocqwbp.jpg
Not meaning to hijack the thread but I see you have an alternative shift lever.  I ordered what appears to be the identical item but when installed it impinge on the side stand spring because it is not "kinked" outward a bit to clear the spring.  It appears you added I fitted it spacer between the inboard side of the shift lever and foot peg bracket.  Did your shift lever come with the spacer or where did you get it (and if you made it please provide the dimensions and material specifications), and did the lever also come with a longer bolt to accommodate the thickness of the spacer or did you obtain it (and if so, from where, material type, diameter, head type and length)? 
I recall removing the foot peg mounting bolt was a super PITA die to the close lateral adjacency of the exhaust boom-box restricting clearance to tighten the bolt.  I'd think the longer bolt required to maintain thread purchase within the foot peg femail threads would be even more difficult to install without first removing the foot peg bracket.

Thanks 20170518_215618.jpg20170518_215625.jpg20170518_220500.jpg20170518_223335.jpg

My shift lever is adjusted about 3/4 of an inch or more higher than stock position from the factory. It's not even close to the spring. No spacer provided or used. TIP: Where the shift linkage attaches to the lever, use a longer bolt with a nylock nut on the outside used as a jam nut. If you look closely at my picture you can see the jam nut. First time out, I loctited the bolt provided and within 1000 miles it worked loose. I now have over 10,000 trouble-free miles since I changed the bolt and added the jam nut.
john

• Premium Member
I double checked where I have my shift lever set, and I like it a bit lower than even OEM (which I now have no idea where it was originally), so the AM lever impinges on the side stand spring for me. If you review my above photos, the OEM lever is "kinked" outward to clear the side stand spring. Obviously the Chinese manufacturer made a one-size-fits-all lever that does not work on the FJ-09 unless you adjust it up significantly higher than the OEM position; they refunded me my cost as a result. I have lower handlebars than stock and raised the forks in the triples a bit too, so I lean forward more than most and thus my toes are angled down more too.

Thanks for the response, and again, sorry to be hijacking this thread.

Archived