Windscreen for 6'6" rider

trespasser

Hi! I'm having a hard time picking the best windscreen for my height.  Any help would be appretiated. (I have a red FJ09 and live in Norway.)

I have narrowed it down to these:

Madstad 24" - Good reviews, not the best looks, expensive
Parabellum 26" + flyscreen
Puig Touring + Puig spoiler
V-stream tall touring

Any other combo/screen?

P.S I have no problem putting the Puig spoiler on any of these screens.

Thanks in advance

• Premium Member
why not try the spoiler on the original screen as a first step?

I wish I had tried that before buying the Powerbronze screen. Now using the Powerbronze with a Puig spoiler. I'm a short arse compared to you.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Hi! I'm having a hard time picking the best windscreen for my height.  Any help would be appretiated. (I have a red FJ09 and live in Norway.) 
I have narrowed it down to these:

Madstad 24" - Good reviews, not the best looks, expensive
Parabellum 26" + flyscreen
Puig Touring + Puig spoiler
V-stream tall touring

Any other combo/screen?

P.S I have no problem putting the Puig spoiler on any of these screens.

Thanks in advance

Have you seen pics of members bikes that had a Madstad? I just don't get it with folks criticizing the looks.  I have the dark 22" and it looks great. I am 6' 4" with a 32" inseam, and it keeps  the wind off of me just fine. There is no "still air" pocket, but the air that hits you is enough to cool you in the summertime, and keep you warm in the wintertime. And there is no need to add a spoiler. Just my opinion, but they look....tacky. Get the right tool to do the job once. Rant over....Kirk out  

At 5' 11" to 6', my National Cycle Tall Windscreen isn't tall enough for me to get total wind protection. I still get air buffeting on my helmet at speeds 40mph+, but it's much better than stock.

I am 6' 3". I took the stock windshield off and that seems to be smooth out air flow pretty well. I never ride in the rain or cold, so weather protection is not an issue for me. I tried another commonly known windshield and it did not work at all. I have no idea how other tall guys say it works for them. I won't mention the specific brand, because there is no universal agreement on what is a good windshield for tall riders.

• 1 month later...
Dang nice custom made screen.

I have the PUIG, and it's much better than the stock one. I'm 6'2" officially, but my torso is longer than most folks who are 6'6", so headroom and screens have always been an adventure for me.

My kids say I'm more like 6'4", but why would the Dr. lie? LOL

Anyway, I've always like Enduro and Dirt bike measurements for motorcycles, and have often gone to taller screens, no screens or dropped foot pegs too for more leg room. When you can flat foot a KTM 990 Adventure with the taller comfort seat, it's time to stop growing taller. LOL

My thought on this is get the widest, tallest screen you can , often relocating how it's angled can help too, depending on the bike. Or go with no screen, or a small fly screen that protects the gauges and your GPS/Radar Detector/Phone etc. I ride with a magnetic tank bag, so a small screen would be good to protect that as well.

The stock screen was HORRIBLE air noise at the high setting. It was less at the low setting. The PUIG is better at both, but I ride with it on the high setting.

This summer, soon, I plan on making a fly screen out of the stocker, using the PUIG mount, and flipping the stock screen upside down, adding new holes, and shaping it wider and shorter to just cover the gauges/bag/stuff, while smoothing air flow around the fairing/lights.

I'm also really tempted to take off the stock hand guards, and put on KTM ones, since I really like the way they look, could use the narrow width, and am going to bar end mirrors too. (That often cuts down on noise and buffeting on my arms too in the past bikes.)

Plus, I'm a tall and wide dude, so bar end mirrors allow me to see more than my elbows and love handles. LOL
I have a black ProTaper bar I'd like to replace the silver one with, paint the upper and risers black like the FZ09 has, and "de-silver" the entire set of controls eventually.

Ok, so here is some feedback from a 6'03" guy, hell bent on finding a good solution that works, and doesn't look like a barn-door on an otherwise, great looking motorcycle.

I have ridden with the stock, the short Givi and the Powerbronze tall windscreen - in all 3 heights.

Stock: Not very good in any position and doesn't even look that good. Advice: cut it down, paint the backside black and use as a shortie, flyscreen.

Powerbronze tall: Looks pretty good for a 4in taller screen. Good tint, but at the stock angle- puts the wind blast RIGHT at the helmet. (FYI- this is the bad)

Givi Short: Looks great and is an improvement over stock. Added some angle and it helped- more on that, but it still wasn't much more quiet over stock. It was, but not an Earth-shattering difference.

So really what I found out was that the stock windshield is not really good for much, and if you want light buffeting, you can go with a super tall shield or increase the windshield angle. Note, if you do either of these, I HIGHLY recommend replacing the stock, plastic ws screws with metal ones- lightly torqued of course- as these thread into a brass fitting. I lengthened the upper bolts for the ws mount, and added a 1/2 spacer (not the ws plastic bolts, but to the ws mount). This makes the ws more upright and should direct the wind up and over my fat head. I took photos, but they are really hard to see what the heck I did. I'll try again in some sun. And I am running the Givi Short screen and I'll see if my ghetto engineering holds any water.

I made my own shorty screen and it blocks no air really but I sit in clean air quite nicely. No buffeting at all. I also removed the stock hand guards as this helps immensely with the buffeting.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I'm only 6', but I have tiny legs so I'm all torso. I've tried it with stock, Calsci short, givi short, and windshield removed. The givi short was the quietest for me, next followed by the calsci, and then of course the stock. Even as quiet as the givi short was, there is still noise that creeeps in around 40mph and up. No windshield was even quieter, but you get a good blast of air.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

I'm only 6', but I have tiny legs so I'm all torso. I've tried it with stock, Calsci short, givi short, and windshield removed. The givi short was the quietest for me, next followed by the calsci, and then of course the stock. Even as quiet as the givi short was, there is still noise that creeeps in around 40mph and up. No windshield was even quieter, but you get a good blast of air.
I have the Give D2122S with an MCR deflector and that works great up to ~60mph.  Then the wind noise picks up quickly, although it doesn't generate the buffeting of the stock.  I've ridden with no screen and it still gets noisy at speed.  It seems like it must have something to do with the fairing itself. BTW, I'm 6' and 33" inseam.  Works best at highest setting.  Leave MCR deflector "loose" so I can change the pivot on the fly.  Works nice to get more breeze when it's warmer.

• 2 months later...

Archived