RPM's too High!!

hal26

on the highway....I want to go one tooth larger on the front sprocket. I have done this on several bikes in the past. Anyone here done this? Would like to know of a sprocket that is a direct replacement (perfect fit) and also if any extreme difficulty involved in doing this to my FJ. Thanks!!

Here is a 17T: http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/media/Yamaha%20Catalog%202015.pdf
A 17T will not work with the stock chain length.
Here is a JT 43T rear on EBay for under $35: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JT-Steel-Rear-Sprocket-525-43T-fits-Yamaha-FZ-07-2015-/311600399402?hash=item488cd4c42a:g:j2EAAOSw-tNXH6D7&vxp=mtr FZ 07, FZ 09 and FJ 09 rear sprockets are interchangeable.
I run this set-up on my FJ 09. It's great, lowers rpm at freeway speeds about 300 rpm. With the 43T you can now fit the 17T, but I haven't tried it.

I'm used to bigger bikes that are just loafing at high speed. I only have 100 miles on this bike and I'm thinking that 4200 RPM at 60 is ridiculous,even for a little bike like this. What will it be turning at a steady 80 mph? Waaaay too busy and buzzy for me......

Is what you are saying is that I will not be able to slide the rear wheel forward enough to compensate for only ONE tooth larger on the countershaft sprocket without going a little smaller on the rear? I have done this on many bikes and never had a problem. Please don't get me wrong-I REALLY appreciate all the help that you guys have offered and I do not want to have it all apart and find out that the chain is super tight and that  I MUST have a smaller rear sprocket to make it work. I find that I can almost start off in second without lugging it and take many sharp city street corners in third-it is waaaaay to short gearing for me.

With the stock chain, you cannot add 1 tooth on the countershaft (17T). The wheel will not adjust far enough forward. Sorry. But if you go with the 43T rear, you will gain plenty of adjustment room to cover the 17T. You don't want to over gear the bike and make it a dog. Deadstiff and I have tried the 43T and are very happy with the results.john

I'm used to bigger bikes that are just loafing at high speed. I only have 100 miles on this bike and I'm thinking that 4200 RPM at 60 is ridiculous,even for a little bike like this. What will it be turning at a steady 80 mph? Waaaay too busy and buzzy for me......
Motor is much smoother at 80 than 60.  I think taller gearing would be worse for me. 
Forget loafing, this motor is not good at that like other bikes but revs happily

I have a 17 tooth sprocket on my FJ. Wait until you have 3-4 thousand miles and the chain will stretch enough to install. You will have to remove the rear axel to get enough slack to slide the sprocket on the countershaft. Use blue Loctite on the nut. The bike will handle this gearing with no problem. This is where I bough the sprocket. Order the FZ-09 sprocket.
Drive Systems USA
www.drivesystemsusa.com

Hey jsp...are you running 17t-43t combo?...if so how has it changed the ride, is the biggest difference at freeway speeds?
No, just the 43T. I've put about 600 miles on the 43T set-up and I'm very pleased especially in the 65- 85 mph area. Not too sure if the 17/43 set-up will be twisty friendly. john 

Thanks to all of you for chiming in on this.....Backslider:thanks for the link-I might be the guinea (?) pig to try the front/rear tall combination. My BMW R1150RT and Road King are slow revving scooters and my maniacal riding days are far behind me. I just wanted something small to zip around the 'hood! I am such a geezer that I have been riding in rain mode to get rid of that nervous/edgy throttle response!

Archived