Radiator Protectors

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
Fitted my Evotech rad guard last week.
I must pop around and have a look ;) , I'm thinking I'll be heading this route too - maybe can show you how to post pics (mind you I haven't done it from a mobile) 

Roger to all above - put the RG Racing guard on mine.  New spacers and bolt for right side of radiator (left as you look at it from the front) Foam padding between guard and radiator, and a zip tie around lower radiator mount. 1/2 hour (even with my bear paws) and the right side panel comes off to access the bolt - unless you have long handle allen wrenches.  Worth every penny when it intercepts road debris.  
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I bought mine here http://www.ebay.com/itm/121379328980?item=121379328980&viewitem=&vxp=mtr Took about 10 days delivery. $56.80 +$15.00 shipping. Same thing as RevZilla just cheaper. Probably where revZilla buys them from.
If you look now, it's free shipping. 
They will even engrave whatever design you want instead of MT-09.  I had mine engraved "Yamaha FJ-09".

I hope mine gets here in 10 days!  (It has shipped.)

Did it fit?  I am ready to buy, but want to make sure it fits allright....will be nice if you can post a pic...

• Premium Member
I like the Evotech , which was $$$ though, because it's a formed one piece that wraps around the sides and uses oem bolts and fastening points, comes with foam, is aluminum powder coated, no zip ties and is extremely light.

• Supporting Member
+2. The Evotech components are nicely made & finished, and fit perfectly. They’re more expensive than some of the off-brands, but still very reasonable for the quality you get.

I got the Yamaha GYTR guard as a Christmas present this year. I like the FJ-09 logo painted on it and the installation was super easy. No removing body panels just simply zip tied to the radiator and sits on adhesive foam cushions. It's not quite as nice as the Evotech guard i had on my Tiger 1050 but it should do the trick. The radiators on these FJ-09's sure are out in the wind and wide open to catch rocks and debris. I also installed a Pyramid fenda extenda to complete the protection. If Spring ever arrives here in central NY i would love to take it for a ride!

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

FWIW, and it's likely that YMMV - but some of the so-called protectors are made from quite unsubstantial/ fragile aluminium mesh that might be perfectly OK if used to make tea-strainers, but would hardly stand-up to errant rocks projected towards the rad at 100kph+.

Having said that, I know of only one such a happening, when the oil-cooler rad on a Ducati was violated.  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived