FJ09 not starting.

Guest brian

Guest brian
Hello, 

FJ09 owner of 9 months here. 

I've ridden my bike a few times this year here in Colorado, but today I went to start it to warm it up to do an oil change and I can't get it started. 

So, I have power, not a problem. 
I have fuel, I can smell it coming out the exhaust, I hear it priming and I do give it a few seconds to prime before trying to start it. 
I have checked all the fuses, everything's fine on that front. 

It appears that I have no spark, or there's another issue. 
I've seen some other posts regarding fj's not starting, but those appeared to be battery-related and that's not the case here. 

Before I have to rip an almost-new bike with 4K on it apart to chase problems, any suggestions from those more veteraned than myself? 

• Premium Member
hold the throttle wide open and press the starter - it will start eventually - happens on the Tracer/FJ and other Yamahas. Only had it once on my Tracer but a few times on the Super Tenere.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest brian
hold the throttle wide open and press the starter - it will start eventually - happens on the Tracer/FJ and other Yamahas. Only had it once on my Tracer but a few times on the Super Tenere.

And we have a winner. Is there another term for this by chance? A nickname maybe? I searched a good bit for any information regarding this and came up empty. Thank you for helping me where searching couldn't.

• Premium Member
it is universally known as "hard start" - there are threads here and loads of them on http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ and FZ09 forums. I think Triumph bikes have had similar problems and I have had it on my current & last cars (Citroen & Seat). No idea of the root cause but the fault is quite generic to fuel injection systems and seems to happen if you start the engine and stop it before everything has warmed up properly e.g. to move a vehicle from the garage to the drive to wash it. I don't see the problem very often.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest brian
Feeling kind of dumb that I didn't stumble across that, but admittedly I focused on no spark, as that's what I thought it was. 

I appreciate your knowledge here and hopefully with different terms associated with it others may stumble upon this thread as well. 

Thanks again for knowledge-sharing, if you ever find yourself in Denver, Co. IOU some beers. 

Quick story: The very first time I went to the Yamaha dealer to see the new FJ-09 more than a year ago I was talking to the salesman and he said "Let me start it for you, it has a great sound." He pushed the button and it wouldn't start. Right there on the sales floor! He said something like "that's weird," and I'll have to admit that it made me think twice about a bike that wouldn't even start at the dealership. Anyway, 12,500 miles later on my own FJ-09 it too fails to start once in a great while. When it does that, I've found that holding the throttle only about 1/4 open accomplishes the same thing that Wessie is talking about, but thanks to my friends here on the forum I've learned to think of it as just part of the bike's quirky charm. (As long as it does, finally, start!)

I had this happen to me last weekend. only 2000k on the clock and I couldn't get it started and was like "WTF" is wrong with my new bike. I am glad it is nothing and is a commonish thing. So glad I found this forum.  
Thanks

Man at 2000k that bike is far from new. :P

THIS! Stale fuel in the throttle bodies fuel rail I put it down to, not so much a issue on recirculating fuel rails but the yamahas I have owned have all done it occasionally.
Especially after sitting with today's rubbish fuels.

Archived