carefull out there

• Premium Member
That was scary just watching it, can't imagine what he/she thought seeing that car come around the corner.......

• Premium Member
probably a British, Irish, Australian or Japanese tourist just pulled out of a layby. We have it all of the time in the UK. Lots of keep left signs by airports and sea ports.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

The location is shown as California on May 9. I've seen similar things during over 40 years of riding here. I usually vent rather loudly in my helmet just to let some of the tension go, and wait for my pulse to go down a bit. You jut hope that at some time it will be a police vehicle on this side.
The scary thing here is also the gravel that has fallen onto the inside of the curve that might cause you to go off your usual inside line to avoid it.

I was on my favorite twisty road this weekend, on a nice left hand curve ( speed limit 45mph ) when an older gentleman hit the curve coming the other way at about 70 in his Cadillac.  Talk about pucker factor, good thing I saw him coming and hung to the outside of the curve.  He was about a foot over the center line because he obviously did not know the road. 

I love street bikes but enjoy breathing unassisted more and smartphones are what caused me to sell my FZ-09 and buy a KTM dirtbike.
I'm sure with dirtbike you mean true off road riding, not dirt roads.
Canada lost a great motorcycling enthusiast last weekend, Rob Harris, the founder and editor of Canada Moto Guide. He was ADV riding, and while on a dirt road collided head on with an oncoming truck. I don't know all the details, but Rob was an experienced very good rider. I only know he was cresting a hill.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
R.I.P. Rob Harris...

One thing about the FJ09 is its extremely responsive to being flicked about. We can use that as a big plus but with rider distraction or in attention it can get you in a bad place fast. As Jim Morrison of,"The Doors" once sang,"Keep your eyes on the road your hands upon the wheel!"
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Dirt roads are dangerous. As riders we often start having fun sliding the rear wheel around corners. And people in trucks stop paying attention or going way too fast. I ride trails and preferably single track mountain trails, when the snow melts up high. I'm sorry to hear about Rob Harris. It's a very dangerous passion that we all share, riding these two wheeled beasts.

A friend of mine is in the hospital in ICU right now, was riding his KTM on a trail and was hit by a Polaris razor going way to fast on a trail he shouldn't have been on. It can happen anywhere at anytime.

I love street bikes but enjoy breathing unassisted more and smartphones are what caused me to sell my FZ-09 and buy a KTM dirtbike.
And it's not just smartphones, but they sure are a big part of it - 
Each day in the United States, over 8 people are killed and 1,161 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.1

Distracted driving activities include things like using a cell phone, texting, and eating. Using in-vehicle technologies (such as navigation systems) can also be sources of distraction. While any of these distractions can endanger the driver and others, texting while driving is especially dangerous because it combines all three types of distraction - Visual: taking your eyes off the road; Manual: taking your hands off the wheel; and Cognitive: taking your mind off of driving.

1. National Center for Statistics and Analysis, Distracted Driving: 2013 Data, in Traffic Safety Research Notes. DOT HS 812 132. April 2015, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Washington, D.C.

On the California freeways you see it a lot - typically they get in the left lane so there is less to worry about to their left, then you'll see them jerk the steering wheel as they look up from the phone once in a while - just plain scary!

Archived