Can the xsr900 slip and assist clutch be used on the FJ?

fattraxx

I saw a video that showed the new slip and assist clutch from a new FJR1300 being installed Into and older model FJR. Looked like a straigh forward install. Got me thinking about a similar scenario for the FJ-09. I have sat on a XSR in the showroom and the clutch pull was much easier than on the FJ. Just curious if anyone's looked into this or had access to parts catalogs for both to see what's needed and if it's doable.

OP is right, the new FJR and XSR900 have the slipper AND assist clutch. I'm pretty jealous they got it.

I'd be willing to bet you could swap in the parts. Though I wonder all said and done, if a yoyodyne slipper would be less expensive.

Here are the two parts fiches. Looks like There are some big differences.

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=8327680&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2016&fveh=292207

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=8226698&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2016&fveh=289964

I did not compare all the parts but it looks like the clutch basket/primary gear is the same, and it's the inner hub and spring carrier that are the major parts that are different. Many of the clutch plates on the XSR are the same as the FJ, just fewer of them. The actuator in the case looks the same.

Of course the various small parts that are different may add up.

I wonder if the XSR's clutch cable has the bad bend in it, and if not, if it'll fit the FJ.

If this cost like $300 I'd do it.

• 5 weeks later...
yes it can be done. a lot of the clutch parts are shared between the fj and xsr. if you want to lessen the cost, perform the conversion on a low mileage clutch. cost, around $500 (parts only), yes a new cover is part of the cost. imho, on an fj, I can see it, on an fz09, for sure this would be a great mod.

I emailed Motorcyclist Magazine about installing an XSR900 clutch into the FJ-09. Last email I got from them is that they are going to try it on their FZ-09 and let me know how it goes. Possibly as soon as next week. The FJ-09 and FZ-09 clutches are the same, so if it works on the FZ, it will work on the FJ.

I have been working on the parts list myself and I've compiled the list of parts needed. My calculation is around $300 for parts. I will report back with part numbers and details as soon as I hear back from Motorcyclist Magazine. 

Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
With 2WDW ECU reflash and G2 throttle tamer, I do not feel the need for slipper clutch with aggressive street riding. So I am wondering why you want it and if simple changes in set up may help.

There are leverage gizmos that can be added to the clutch cable, but I do not know what fits FJ O9.  Since this kind of gizmo reduces force by increasing distance, you do have to make sure there is enough travel available to move the clutch pack the full distance needed.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4223/i/moose-racing-easy-pull-clutch-system?year=2009&make=Kawasaki&model=KX250F&colorid=262&SITEID=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+Product+Level+Ads+-+Google+Shopping+Campaign&P_ID=3052909189&adpos=1o1&creative=93111299573&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMGn8sCy-s0CFYIBaQod1AQAJA

With 2WDW ECU reflash and G2 throttle tamer, I do not feel the need for slipper clutch with aggressive street riding. So I am wondering why you want it and if simple changes in set up may help.  
There are leverage gizmos that can be added to the clutch cable, but I do not know what fits FJ O9.  Since this kind of gizmo reduces force by increasing distance, you do have to make sure there is enough travel available to move the clutch pack the full distance needed.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4223/i/moose-racing-easy-pull-clutch-system?year=2009&make=Kawasaki&model=KX250F&colorid=262&SITEID=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+Product+Level+Ads+-+Google+Shopping+Campaign&P_ID=3052909189&adpos=1o1&creative=93111299573&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMGn8sCy-s0CFYIBaQod1AQAJA

That might help with the assist part, but the part that we are all most interested in is the slipper clutch.  Slipper clutches are awesome at the track.  Are they needed on the road? I don't think so, but they're just fun to have, like quickshifters on the road.