Can the xsr900 slip and assist clutch be used on the FJ?

fattraxx

I might be doing this as well. It's also worth noting that Yamaha uses this same 'assist and slipper' clutch design in the new R1 for anyone doubting the robustness of it.  
Another variable to this is the xsr900 clutch cover. It has a rubber element fixed to the inside that appears to be for vibration damping purposes.

I'll probably forgo this part of the modification and see if it vibrates too much or had any other issues.

http://www.geocities.jp/motohiko01/MT-09/XSR-clutch-cover/xsr900-clutch_cover.htm

So I just took in the parts list someone else had on the forum (Thank You) and SouthBay Motorsports in Chula Vista, CA, specifically Mike Gieke and Mechanic Nick LNU ordered the parts for about $300 bucks and install was 1.5 hrs = $503 slipper clutch on my FJ09. First ride was short but no disappointments at all, worked well, clutch pull lighter and shifting is absolutely less notchy. It can be done, it is just finding a dealer willing to actually help you out and Southbay Motorsports rocks! BTW the rubber "absorbers" were the hardest part to get. Luckily, many parts are actually the same part number as the slipper on the YZF 450 quad!  

I might be doing this as well. It's also worth noting that Yamaha uses this same 'assist and slipper' clutch design in the new R1 for anyone doubting the robustness of it.  
Another variable to this is the xsr900 clutch cover. It has a rubber element fixed to the inside that appears to be for vibration damping purposes.

I'll probably forgo this part of the modification and see if it vibrates too much or had any other issues.

http://www.geocities.jp/motohiko01/MT-09/XSR-clutch-cover/xsr900-clutch_cover.htm

So I just took in the parts list someone else had on the forum (Thank You) and SouthBay Motorsports in Chula Vista, CA, specifically Mike Gieke and Mechanic Nick LNU ordered the parts for about $300 bucks and install was 1.5 hrs = $503 slipper clutch on my FJ09. First ride was short but no disappointments at all, worked well, clutch pull lighter and shifting is absolutely less notchy. It can be done, it is just finding a dealer willing to actually help you out and Southbay Motorsports rocks! BTW the rubber "absorbers" were the hardest part to get. Luckily, many parts are actually the same part number as the slipper on the YZF 450 quad!  
Excellent, thanks for being the guinea pig!  :) I'm in North County SD so a trip there wouldn't be too far to go.

Just curious, does it go into first with the same hard clunk?  That's one of my pet peeves is how harsh the engagement is for first.

SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

• 4 weeks later...
I took the parts list to Mike at Southbay Motorsports in Chula Vista, CA. Parts about $300 and labor only $200. It is the best $500 you can spend on an FJ09 shy of the ohlins suspension upgrades at about $1,800. Since I bought my bike used in 2015, I am a happy camper! 

• 2 weeks later...
I took the parts list to Mike at Southbay Motorsports in Chula Vista, CA. Parts about $300 and labor only $200. It is the best $500 you can spend on an FJ09 shy of the ohlins suspension upgrades at about $1,800. Since I bought my bike used in 2015, I am a happy camper! 
Curious how many miles your bike has and was your clutch ever noisy an if so did the slipper install solve it? 
In the past 1500 miles (now at about 11k or so mine has started sounding quite gravely/coarse, so much so that I can feel it in the frame and footpegs at light load.  Trying to figure out if its the clutch basket or CCT.

SoCal

The 'clunk' is an artifact of motorcycle transmissions in general. I doubt the revised clutch will make any difference.
Hey Matt, yes I understand its the nature of engaging the gears but some bikes make a modest snick while this bike goes in with the loudest clunk I can recall. 
SoCal

I have followed this thread for a bit and come to the conclusion my FJ-09 needs no slipper/assist clutch but I will admit I did plan on doing this mod over winter...The reasons I decided not to are it's butter smooth over my FZ-07 after learning not to shift it like my FZ-07 and its now even smoother thanks to my QS and auto-blipper!! ? upgrades to the ECU...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I have followed this thread for a bit and come to the conclusion my FJ-09 needs no slipper/assist clutch but I will admit I did plan on doing this mod over winter...The reasons I decided not to are it's butter smooth over my FZ-07 after learning not to shift it like my FZ-07 and its now even smoother thanks to my QS and auto-blipper!! ? upgrades to the ECU...
Yeah, honestly my FJ-09 shifts so smoothly OOTB, I can't imagine gaining $300 - $400 worth of value from this swap. But then again, I'm not on the front straight of VIR banging down through the gears going into turn one. Then....I might want it.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
I prefer the deceleration resistance afforded by the FJ-09 clutch system and do not think I'd like the free-wheeling effect a slipper pack will provide. I'm used to big sporting 90 degree V-Twins and with only a 1 pound lightened flywheel my VTR1000F will put you on your nose if you are not careful letting out the clutch and matching wheel speed to engine revs. The FJ-09 with its 3 little cylinders can take quite a bit of over rev and wheel speed differential under decel without squeaking the rear doughnut or braking traction, and I have never noticed the traction control kicking in (is it that smooth?). Now I would love reduced lever effort but not for the trade off. I've read a Bolt clutch actuating arm will fit right up and reduce lever pull but at the expense of I believe less lever travel; i.e., a narrower actuation window (range). Anyone try this?

I would not call my FJ-09s shifting anywhere close to "butter smooth", it's a bit notchy and was quite reluctant to go into neutral at a stop. I've gotten used to shifting the beasty and learned to keep the clutch lever adjusted as tight as possible with the bars to the left (when the cable is at it's tightest). Before I started adjusting all but the minimum amount of slack out of the clutch cable, and when it had under say 4,000 miles, getting it to go into neutral at a stop was neigh impossible and very frustrating, even trying to snick it in when rolling to a stop was like rolling craps. Now it's much, much better with over 9,000 miles since new last July, and I have gotten the hang of when and how to shift my FJ-09 but it's no where near as slick shifting as say my 1997 VTR1000F, and it has 106,000+ miles on it's clock.

Yeah, honestly my FJ-09 shifts so smoothly OOTB, I can't imagine gaining $300 - $400 worth of value from this swap. But then again, I'm not on the front straight of VIR banging down through the gears going into turn one. Then....I might want it.

This kit I got from Woolich Racing is very close in price for just buying a QS, so it's worth the tiny extra cost to have auto-blipper and launch control ?( which I may use a few times) I mainly use the QS since I spoiled myself using one on my FZ-07... I'm not trying to derail the thread or anything or start a debate...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
This kit I got from Woolich Racing is very close in price for just buying a QS, so it's worth the tiny extra cost to have auto-blipper and launch control ?( which I may use a few times) I mainly use the QS since I spoiled myself using one on my FZ-07... I'm not trying to derail the thread or anything or start a debate...
Auto-blipper? Launch control? I'm a curmudgeon luddite...please. Ride the bike. Use the clutch. Or buy a scooter.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000