• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can the xsr900 slip and assist clutch be used on the FJ?

fattraxx

Question for the guys who have done this mod, have you lost your engine braking? That is one aspect I don't want to lose and even flashed my bike to get more, but I am in desperate need of a lighter clutch as there is something wrong with my left arm lately and it hurts all day especially after being on the clutch for an hour plus in commuting traffic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Question for the guys who have done this mod, have you lost your engine braking? That is one aspect I don't want to lose and even flashed my bike to get more, but I am in desperate need of a lighter clutch as there is something wrong with my left arm lately and it hurts all day especially after being on the clutch for an hour plus in commuting traffic.
I have all the parts and I am about to install.  I have about 100 miles on a friend's XSR and I noticed no less engine braking effect under my normal sporty riding conditions.  However the shifting and clutch feel were much smoother.  When I get a chance to ride mine I will report back my findings.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member
+1 on wanting the same engine (or more) braking. 
And I'd go see a doctor about your arm if I were you.

• Supporting Member
Before buying the FJ, I test rode the Versys 1000 several times and the assist clutch is NICE, lever pull is truly a 2 finger affair.  I didn't try out the slipper feature, but if you have arm pain and an hour ride in commuter traffic this might be the answer for you.  There are also devices that alter the leverage of the clutch pull which reduce the rate of pull.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

May be this is what u need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272496336067

• 3 weeks later...
200 miles so far on the new slipper clutch. No reduction in engine braking. I takes really aggressive down shifting with a dump of the clutch to start the slipping action. By contrast, the factory slipper on the Daytona 675R is much easier to slip and thus lessens its engine braking considerably. The biggest benefits of this upgrade for me are the smoothed out gearbox and the refined clutch engagement. The pull is lighter as well.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Supporting Member
 The biggest benefits of this upgrade for me are the smoothed out gearbox and the refined clutch engagement. The pull is lighter as well.
I cant imagine it getting any smoother.  I was on a several hour ride the other day and one thing that kept  getting my attention was how fluid and seamless the transmission felt.  Shifting between gears was butter smooth and effortless, much nicer than my prior FZ1, and that shifted very nicely.  I am relieved to hear that this swap doesn't increase the engine braking.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have all the parts and I am about to install.  I have about 100 miles on a friend's XSR and I noticed no less engine braking effect under my normal sporty riding conditions.  However the shifting and clutch feel were much smoother.  When I get a chance to ride mine I will report back my findings.

Awesome thanks mate.

May be this is what u need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272496336067

Seen them before. I used to have to fit them to hardley ridables when I was an apprentice. Sort of work on a over cam system. I am going hydraulic to see if I that helps my sore arm..

200 miles so far on the new slipper clutch. No reduction in engine braking. I takes really aggressive down shifting with a dump of the clutch to star the slipping action. By contrast, the factory slipper on the Daytona 675R is much easier to slip and thus lessens its engine braking considerably. The biggest benefits of this upgrade for me are the smoothed out gearbox and the refined clutch engagement. The pull is lighter as well.

That is good to hear. Might have to do this mod if my new hydraulic clutch doesn't get it light enough for me. Since increasing the engine braking on my re flash I can lock and slide the back end under very hard engine braking. I kinda like it though, not nasty at all.

• 2 months later...

Just got done with the clutch upgrade. The hardest part was to get the clutch boss nut off. This is a 30mm nut that's held in place by two indentations and (what looked like) red Loctite. Since I didn't have a clutch holder tool I ended up using my air impact wrench. I put the bike on the side stand, shifted in 6th gear and used the impact wrench to undo the clutch boss nut. After that it was a piece of cake. All-in-all the job took about 4 hours, but that's because I am not a professional. I needed a 30mm socket (clutch boss nut), a 5mm hex bit socket (clutch cover bolts), a 10mm socket (pressure plate bolts), a torque wrench, and a diagram of the XSR900 and FJ-09 clutch. I used most of the friction and clutch plates from the FJ-09's clutch. There are a couple of additional friction and clutch plates, which you will see on the parts diagram, which come into play in the XSR clutch and are not part of the FJ-09 clutch.

I strongly recommend having the XSR900 service manual as well. It shows how to put the plates in and the torque values for all the bolts and nuts you touch. I found a copy of it here XSR 900 Service Manual

I modified my original parts list so this is the new and tested parts list (see below). The total parts cost is around $250. Not bad at all. The thing I noticed right-away after the upgrade was how light the clutch pull is. Shifting between gears is a two fingers job now. Downshifting is so much smoother as well. 

I really appreciate the light clutch pull in traffic and recommend the upgrade to all FJ-09 owners. 

Clutch_Parts_List.png