Can the xsr900 slip and assist clutch be used on the FJ?

fattraxx

• Supporting Member

Hi All,

I know this thread (like me) is getting a little long in the tooth but I had a question about the loctite used on the clutch boss nut/thread.  Does anyone know with authority what colour was used?  i.e. RED or BLUE?  Someone reported it as being RED (or they thought so at least) but I was hoping that a definitive answer was out there.

It's my understanding that RED NEEDS heat to release it safely while BLUE doesn't.

Cheers

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Hi All,

I know this thread (like me) is getting a little long in the tooth but I had a question about the loctite used on the clutch boss nut/thread.  Does anyone know with authority what colour was used?  i.e. RED or BLUE?  Someone reported it as being RED (or they thought so at least) but I was hoping that a definitive answer was out there.

It's my understanding that RED NEEDS heat to release it safely while BLUE doesn't.

Cheers

I used red Loctite when I installed mine.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, betoney said:

I used red Loctite when I installed mine.

Thanks for the reply betony.  Do you know if it was red Loctite that was already on the thread when you dismantled the original?  It seems that there are all sorts of methods and related issues for getting that nut off in the first place so wanted to give myself the best possible chance with the least possible risk before attacking the job.

I should say that I have a rattle gun that many have reported as working well getting boss nuts free and don't particularly want to spend a small fortune on a special basket holding tool (if not 'necessary') that I probably won't ever use again.

So I guess I'm still wondering if I need to apply heat or not depending on the original type of Loctite used.

How was your experience?  Did you use any heat or just the special holding tool and breaker bar?

Thanks again.

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

don't particularly want to spend a small fortune on a special basket holding tool (if not 'necessary') that I probably won't ever use again.

How was your experience?  Did you use any heat or just the special holding tool and breaker bar?

Thanks again.

I used the clutch holding tool and a breaker bar.  

The clutch holding tool is just a special shaped vice-grip tool with tabs on the end to hold the basket, it’s not too expensive. The basket is about $400, you DO NOT want to improvise with a homemade tool and damage it. 

• Thumbsup 2

15 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks for the reply betony.  Do you know if it was red Loctite that was already on the thread when you dismantled the original?  It seems that there are all sorts of methods and related issues for getting that nut off in the first place so wanted to give myself the best possible chance with the least possible risk before attacking the job.

I should say that I have a rattle gun that many have reported as working well getting boss nuts free and don't particularly want to spend a small fortune on a special basket holding tool (if not 'necessary') that I probably won't ever use again.

So I guess I'm still wondering if I need to apply heat or not depending on the original type of Loctite used.

Thanks again.

It doesn't matter what type of loctite is on there, apply heat carefully and it will come off more easily.

More importantly: Don't forget to UNSTAKE the nut before you try to remove it! it's peened to the main shaft.

Holding the basket by hand while attempting to use an impact wrench on the basket may induce pain or trauma, YMMV. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks again.

Like @skipperT mentioned, the nut is a security type nut and technically a one time use, just like the front sprocket nut.  Make sure you have a replacement before you undertake this project so you aren’t waiting a week with the bike torn apart. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

The clutch holding tool is just a special shaped vice-grip tool with tabs on the end to hold the basket, it’s not too expensive. The basket is about $400, you DO NOT want to improvise with a homemade tool and damage it. 

Yes good point. And that US$400 basket is closer to $600 here in Australia!  Ouch!

2 hours ago, skipperT said:

It doesn't matter what type of loctite is on there, apply heat carefully and it will come off more easily.

More importantly: Don't forget to UNSTAKE the nut before you try to remove it! it's peened to the main shaft.

Holding the basket by hand while attempting to use an impact wrench on the basket may induce pain or trauma, YMMV. 

-Skip

Thanks skipperT, Yes I've come to the decision to use some judicious heat - carefully as you have said.  It can't hurt no matter what colour the loctite is.

And yes I've seen the videos of some experienced mechanics using their hand to hold the clutch boss or pressing on the clutch pack with a thumb while using a rattle gun.  They make it look easy but for me there is that primal inner self preservation holding me back!  Inserting fleshy parts into potentially spinning sharp metal bits tells me - just don't do it!  For me at least.

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Like @skipperT mentioned, the nut is a security type nut and technically a one time use, just like the front sprocket nut.  Make sure you have a replacement before you undertake this project so you aren’t waiting a week with the bike torn apart. 

I've got the 'kit' coming for this project and yes it includes a new boss nut and thanks for the reminder about the peened part to consider before removal. Most important.

Has anyone actually made a video specifically for this project?  I've looked and haven't found one...?

If I feel creative I might break out the go pro and do one myself if not!  Although perhaps after this passage of time, those who were thinking of doing it have already done it or moved on. I'll report back here on the outcome and my experience at the very least.

Anyway, thanks guys for your info and advice.  I appreciate it.

Cheers.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, betoney said:

6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes good point. And that US$400 basket is closer to $600 here in Australia!  Ouch!

OK, I've got one of these coming.  You're right, a $40 clutch holding tool vs the risk of damaging and replacing a $600 part is a no brainer.706886475_EBCCT020.thumb.jpg.25ab8b2e99097ce53b8f037576df95d5.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Ok, it's been a month of waiting but the kit from Part Shark is finally here at the local post office waiting to be picked up ... tomorrow!  I'm hoping to be able to attack the job tomorrow but it will depend on committments.  I'm hoping it all goes well.  I have my heat gun, clutch basket holding tool, rattle gun (if required), information gathered from numerous sources on how to do including the great advice from those here (you know who you are) and a fridge full of beers if it all goes pearshaped!

Wish me luck!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Surgery is complete... about 4hrs.  Operation went well no major problems.  Patient is recovering waiting for a transfusion - oil change (decided mid op).  Hopefully patient will be up and around tomorrow and enjoying their new slippery clutch.

Pre Op...

292828375_PreOp.thumb.jpg.885375884c3007deff83f53e9037c6ee.jpg

Post Op...

1425596799_PostOp.thumb.jpg.c656749cf3eb1a7bb10178fc438bcc0a.jpg

Parts removed in surgery....

1045222534_Leftovers.thumb.jpg.fd927c52180dc1a72532d75f7a491762.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

Kudos to you, Dr Dazz!   i wouldn't know where to start on major surgery like that: my medical skills extend as far as removing the odd splinter and applying a Band-aid!   Hope it works well for you.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

Ha, thanks wordy.  Hopefully I will have earned the title of doctor and not turn out to be a quack!  Dr Dazz... sounds a bit like Dr Nick of that well-known long running cartoon show.  "For $1.99 I can perform any operation" 😋

Anyway, I have to thank many from this forum for all of the tips and tricks who helped to make it as painless as possible.

I used a heat gun as advised earlier which certainly helped to free the dreaded RED Loctite on the boss nut and of course a clutch basket holding tool.  Never attempt to do this without one is my, and others more learned, advice!

I didn't have to use my rattle gun after all after following the heat treatment method.

I took a photo of the clutch actuator (pull lever) position just before it released from the pull rod when I was removing the cover and I'm glad I did as you must have it in that same position when reassembling for the alignment marks to realign.  I was fortunate in that I got it first go for which I was amazed!

I installed the 'new' (later model) clutch cable with this project as well and first impressions of the clutch lever pull post op was noticeably lighter and smoother.  Three less springs in the clutch and a nice even curve on the cable all contributing I can only presume. Winner!

I'm off to get that transfusion material mentioned earlier and do the first (nervous) test later today..... unless Mrs. Dazz has other plans for me now that it's the weekend here.

The Kit from Part Shark..

1.thumb.jpg.22a20e263f1973fd8afa75947a542fb4.jpg

Clutch basket holding tool in action...

2.thumb.jpg.dc6228e902441a2f1a98d6d5586896d1.jpg

RED Loctite.....

3.thumb.jpg.57af9f4fe6cc8bbb572b166b078a5837.jpg

All cleaned up ready for reassembly....

4.thumb.jpg.7f97512b774dd54adcad0c73955bddc4.jpg

Pull lever alignment position for reassembly....

5.thumb.jpg.aaf86b74577d0345f0353db489ed0c44.jpg

Edited by dazzler24
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Changed the oil and filter and went for a quick run today and pleased to report that all is well. I now have a lovely light, smooth and positive clutch feel.  I don't know what I was expecting from the excercise, problems/issues wise, but really happy to report that it just works!  No further adjustments or fiddling required it would seem.  I'm a happy chappie!

Haven't had a chance to 'test' the slipper functions/effect as yet but hope to go for a decent run during next week to give it a good work out.

Thanks again to all who helped and advised.

Now, next project, onto that rear shock.... I can sense a K-Tech Razor R looking for a new home under my seat!!

Edited by dazzler24
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1