Chopped and repostioned OEM

gwader

Without the OEM, the wind hit me pretty hard in the chest,but clean air at the helmet was great. After a heating and bending over test. I ended up just cutting off the top about 3 inches. Then added new holes to test if the wind was off my chest. Then under the mount plate I added 5/8 spacers with longer screws on the front two . This helped to curve down the wind forces. At 65-70 mph the turbulence is minimal. Then at 75-85 it gets amplified.
26471242263_ba455c49e4_z_d.jpg
26469474444_b977b8392c_z_d.jpg
27006432051_1eea83d0ff_z_d.jpg

• 6 months later...
I too have fixed the stock screen by cutting and re-positioning.
I cut 5cm at the centre and more on the sides, in a curve.
The screen has also been re-drilled to fit on the Givi 2122DT mount and painted black on the rear.

Gone are the vortex inducing horns of the original. No buffeting and noise is much reduced.

Now I have clear laminar air flow to the helmet and neck, with the bottom of the flow hitting me in the chest.
I am 180cm and have the seat on high, with a sheepskin.

Here it is at the Toy Run today, quite warm (33C), so the airflow was appreciated. 
P_20161204_115106_zpsgp1ge200.jpg  P_20161204_115125_zpswdjr3pwv.jpg

....today, quite warm (33C).... 

Totally unfair post :'( But I would post the same if I could annoy northern hemisphere types too.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I live in Maine. I have "invisible friends" all over the place, including Puerto Rico and Australia. They're always giving me grief about Winter up here in "the tundra".

I tell 'em to get back to me in August...

I live in Maine. I have "invisible friends" all over the place, including Puerto Rico and Australia. They're always giving me grief about Winter up here in "the tundra". 

I don't miss Maine winters. Were you there in 77? Oh hell, that was a Blizzard.

I was in high school in semi-rural upstate New York, with the lake effect snow for that one. When I went out to shovel the drive way, the snow was above my head - where do you throw it? It took a few days and the county v-plow to break the drift across the bottom of our road. Aaaaah, the good ol days. One reason I'm in SoCal now. 

Nope, I was in Japan in '77.  Way the heck up on the North end of Hokkaido, right across the Sea of Japan from Siberia. 
Those folks DO winter!

First got stationed in Maine in '73, got married, re-enlisted, left for Japan in '76, didn't get back here until '88.

WAS here for the Ice Storm of '98 tho.  Lotsa fun.

(Sorry for the thread drift, folks).

• 4 months later...
I too have fixed the stock screen by cutting and re-positioning. I cut 5cm at the centre and more on the sides, in a curve.
The screen has also been re-drilled to fit on the Givi 2122DT mount and painted black on the rear.

Gone are the vortex inducing horns of the original. No buffeting and noise is much reduced.

Now I have clear laminar air flow to the helmet and neck, with the bottom of the flow hitting me in the chest.
I am 180cm and have the seat on high, with a sheepskin.

Here it is at the Toy Run today, quite warm (33C), so the airflow was appreciated. 
P_20161204_115106_zpsgp1ge200.jpg  P_20161204_115125_zpswdjr3pwv.jpg

What is that pouch under the windscreen?

• 7 months later...
I really want to do this when it's time to switch back to my summer setup come spring time. I'm not sure I want to cut up the stock screen so I'll likely get one if those cheap eBay double bubbles.

I wish I could see Suncoasters pictures to see how he approached it.

Archived