What gloves do you ride in?

dakota

In the spirit of the helmet and boots threads... what gloves do you ride in?

I have some aging Alpinestars SP2 gloves. Can't really complain, they have been great warm weather/summer gloves. They are less great in 50 degree rain.

Do you have favorite goretex gloves? Can you stay warm, dry, well protected and still feel the controls? Do you keep a separate pair of summer riding gloves?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also have some Alpinestars SP2 gloves that I love. I use them for 90% of my riding. For colder rides, I have a pair of Tour Master Polar Tex gloves. They are pretty good for the cold, but I have to use fleece liners when it gets into the low 30's (Fahrenheit). Without the liners I still have a pretty good feel of the controls, with the liners it is much more ambiguous, but still manageable. They claim to be waterproof, and for the most part the are, but if you are in heavy rain for an extended period of time your hands will eventually get damp, which I attribute to a wicking effect from the cuffs.

I'm also interested in what others use as winter gloves in case I want to upgrade next winter....

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I've recently gone to a two-set combo of Rev'its because they fit my meaty hands.  Last year, I bought a set of Summit H2O and loved them, so this year I added Dirt 2 for running around in the heat.  I got a chance to use them both over the weekend - 3 hour ride in light rain and 4 degree celsius temperatures and the Summits held up really well.  With the grip heaters, my hands were the only warm part on me and they stayed dry.  Then Saturday, I put on the Dirt 2 gloves for a Total Control training course where it hit 28 degrees on the tarmac.  Both sets were great.  I was really surprised by how well the touch pads on the Dirt 2 worked with my iPhone.

I have a pair of Dainese EVO gloves that I bought slightly used for $100.00....I love these gloves but dont think I could pay what they want for a new pair...

They are very comfortable ..I have no idea what Ill do when they wear out..:)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-4-stroke-evo-gloves?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=COfy5P-c4swCFclkhgodURoKgQ

• Premium Member
I'm like the Imelda Marcos of glove ownership. Largely due to hating putting wet gloves on after a fuel stop, so I tend to carry 3 pairs on a trip. Currently Weise Daytona leather gloves for warm weather. Very old but still going well Alpinestars Drystar ST1, cordura & fake leather and very waterproof but the lining can come out which annoys me. They get a bit sweaty when it is warm & wet like in Italy. I also have some Weise winter gauntlets which are rarely used now I have muffs. I'm not a fan of the Ixon gloves, supposedly to take over from the Drystar so they are a reserve should the Drystar lining take the piss. Just bought some more Weise gloves for 20 quid in the end of line sale. Again, supposedly waterproof for use in wet summer weather or cooler days in spring & autumn. I hope they are good as the retailer sent me 2 pairs and Weise in an L seems to be a reliable size for me. I think there is also a pair of Racer Field vented summer gloves only suited for very hot weather where comfort over-rides protection as they are quit thin leather.
http://www.fowlers.co.uk/shop/sale-clearance-1056 if anyone in the UK fancies a punt for £20. The £60 jacket is a bargain too so I have one of those as well as I broke a zip on an old retainer.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I'm like the Imelda Marcos of glove ownership. Largely due to hating putting wet gloves on after a fuel stop, so I tend to carry 3 pairs on a trip.
You're not the only one.  I typically take at least 3 pairs, 4 including the heated gloves if there's the possibility of sustained cold riding. 
Two of them are always Helds.  I'm not sure the models of the Helds; one is likely a Steve, the other I have no idea whatsoever, and the tags on both have effectively disintegrated from years of use.  Damn are they nice.

I used to use some Hein Gericke vented gloves in summer but the threads started coming apart after a few years.  These days, then, pretty much the Helds.

The other set I usually carry are Rev>It racing gloves of some sort (GPX? I forget).  Loved them in the store, but after riding with them for awhile I realized I bought one size too small.  Still, better than wet gloves.  This spring they became my daughter's gloves so I'll have to find something new.

I've got a set of rain-specific gloves but I can't remember the brand. I tend to wear them only if I don't have anything else dry, though, because they have almost zero grip. I prefer regular gloves with the Aerostich rain over-gloves, that works fine.

I have two sets of heated gloves from Gerbings. The first set are a wired-up pair of Hein Gericke winter gloves that are da bomb. They're 16 years old now and I love them. I misplaced them (in a fit of organization I put stuff in storage boxes and could not find them again after) and bought a new set of Gerbings a couple of years ago. They're fine gloves, and the insulation is certainly better than the 16-year-old gloves that were winter commuting gloves for several years, but the H-G gloves were always nicer kit.

I think that's all of them.

If I were to buy another set I'd look at both Held Steve and the Rev>It line. And a lawyer for the divorce proceedings.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I have been using a pair of Highway 21 Revolver gloves, ~$50, and they work pretty good. Comfortable, seem to have good protection, and waterproof. I always intended to get a better pair, but I don't have any issues with these, and I always have another need for the money, so I still use them

Summer gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-neutron-gloves

revit_neutron_gloves_detail.jpg

Middleweight/Waterproof gloves (can be worn into the 30's with heated grips and wind guards: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-summit-2-h2o-gloves

revit_summit2_h2_o_gloves_black_detail.jpg

Super cold weather gloves when it's dry out: http://www.mobilewarminggear.com/ansai-mobile-warming-mens-ltd-max-leather-glove/
mens_heated_glove_ltd_max_black_1_1_2__66209.1406059643.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to give the Held Air n drys a go. I am hopeful these will work through a variety of weather without having to pack multiple sets of gloves.

Will post a review after I put them through their paces.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately (fortunately?) we have not had much in the way of rain, so I can not attest to the waterproofing of the Held Air N Dry gloves.

I have been quite happy with their warm weather performance. They do not vent as well as dedicated summer gloves, but riding at least into the mid 80s is no problem. I hate packing extra stuff so like the versatility of one pair of gloves doing double duty.

If you are on the fence I would recommend them at least provisionally. Hard for me to give a full evaluation without any rainstorms yet...

• 3 weeks later...
I hate thick gloves and more often than not ride around with summer gloves on for most of winter. I have a pair of Five waterproof jobbies that are good but not warm at all, I have the cut down muffs from the tenere on the Tracer now mounted behind the handguards. Lets me wear summer gloves all winter. I do have a pair of Motodry w/p gloves as well but too thick to get on and off easily.
When I can't get them on due to the finger holes pulling out it is the most infuriating feeling in the world! I swear those gloves will put me in the looney bin one day...
For summer vented armoured shorty gloves are my preffered choice

Archived