24" Madstad

I have the 24". I am 6'3" and found that it was STILL buffetting the top of my helmet.
Then I realized, I can slide the windscreen up and down on the angle adjuster! Now it's perfect, with no buffeting!

Let me know if you need more angles, or up close shots of the adjuster/bracket.

DSC_0125_zpszghmdezh.jpg

20160319_135502_zpshatbptmu.jpg
20160319_135440_zps0lz45d7p.jpg
20160319_135433_zpsf5zcbzlx.jpg

Function wise the Madstad is much improved over the stock screen. I don't really care for how big it is looks wise, but you can't have both right? I am 6' and it buffets my helmet a bit in the low position, but all the way up there is no buffeting at all. Much quieter than stock.

• Premium Member
I have the 24" Madstad and I'm 5'10". I keep it in the low position for shorter trips and have cranked it all the way up for longer trips on the interstate.

In the lower position, I get some air on my helmet--generally smooth, but sometimes buffetty in cross winds. In the upper position, I can hide behind it completely.

It is orders of magnitude quieter than stock either way.

It's not necessarily beautiful, but it is very functional.

• Premium Member
I have the 24" Madstad and I'm 5'10". I keep it in the low position for shorter trips and have cranked it all the way up for longer trips on the interstate. 
In the lower position, I get some air on my helmet--generally smooth, but sometimes buffetty in cross winds. In the upper position, I can hide behind it completely.

Curious about your screen size choice, the Madstad website says 5'8" to 5'11" should be a 20", but you have the 24". Do you feel you needed the extra height? I'm 5'9", and trying to figure out what size would be best.  

I just ordered the 24" in dark gray. I don't necessarily want a pocket of nothingness. It's not really possible for me anyways since I'm 6'6 with a 32" inseam. I think I'm also going to drill the stock screen to run on low mileage hot days.

• Premium Member
I just ordered the 24" in dark gray. I don't necessarily want a pocket of nothingness. It's not really possible for me anyways since I'm 6'6 with a 32" inseam. I think I'm also going to drill the stock screen to run on low mileage hot days.
I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam and I ride behind a 22" Madstad. The beauty  of the Madstad is you can not only raise and lower it with the factory mounts, but you can tilt it back to get as much air as you want. I have the dark gray and love it.  

I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam and I ride behind a 22" Madstad. The beauty  of the Madstad is you can not only raise and lower it with the factory mounts, but you can tilt it back to get as much air as you want. I have the dark gray and love it.

For sure! I had one on my vstrom and it was amazing. I don't know why there needs to be any other windscreen.

• Premium Member
I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and live in SoCal. I have the 22" Madstad and it's working great for me. One of the aspects I'm enjoying is that you still receive good airflow while riding. I get full pressure relief (cruise @80mph on the highway and have taken some regional trips of 500-1000 miles) and protection (rode thru a swarm of yellow jackets without being stung). Noise and buffeting are greatly reduced, and I can easily see going on a cross country ride with this windshield.

• Premium Member

Curious about your screen size choice, the Madstad website says 5'8" to 5'11" should be a 20", but you have the 24". Do you feel you needed the extra height? I'm 5'9", and trying to figure out what size would be best.  

First I tried the 20" and I was unhappy with it...then I tried the 22" and took it on a trip, and was again unhappy with it. Noise and buffeting. 
I got the 24" and it did the trick.

I wanted to be able to cruise on the Interstate with my visor open without noise or buffeting. The 24" allowed me to do that where the 22" and 20" did not.

The vertical range of adjustment is fairly large, so better to get a screen on the big side IMO, and keep it low when you want less screen.

Noise seems to be a very complicated thing, a function of height and height minus inseam and also a function of helmet and who knows what else. 

As the old saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Happy hunting.

Good analysis and write up. I also started with the 22 and for the same reasons exchanged it for the 24. Since I live in southwest Florida being able to ride with my shield partially open was very important. I am able to do that in the still air behind the Madstad.

Archived