Which earplugs do you use?

dakota

When I started riding I don't remember anyone talking about riding with earplugs. I always used a full face helmet, and spent more time on back roads than highways so rarely went faster than 55. The noise never bothered me that much, but it doesn't mean I wasn't doing any damage.

After getting back into riding and upgrading the rest of my gear I decided that ear plus made sense to protect my hearing long term. However, I was also concerned with the more immediate danger posed by blocking out too much noise. Having been involved in shooting sports I was familiar with cheap foam earplugs and wanted to try something that would block wind noise preferentially rather than just block everything.

Enter the No Noise earplugs (Motorsport version). I don't know how much they actually tune these for different applications vs marketing BS to get people to buy more than one set... but I am totally sold on these.

Noise reduction
5/5

Went on a 50 mile test ride with speeds ranging from 35 to 65. Wind noise was reduced from a dull roar to a very mild woosh. I could definitely still hear the engine, in fact with so much less wind noise it was actually easier to hear the engine. I was not in any stop and go traffic so no opportunity to hear any horns, sirens, etc, but I don't believe that will be an issue.

Comfort
5/5

As far as comfort, these were much more comfortable than the cheap foam earplugs I have used shooting. Will reassess once I have the chance to go for a longer ride but don't anticipate any issues.

Packaging
5/5
I dont expect much in the way of extras with earplugs but I like the little storage tube these come in.

Quibbles
With a properly fitting helmet my ears get smashed downwards and I have to readjust after putting on the helmet. I have found the little tube that protrudes from the end can get caught during this process. I have not had the earplugs come dislodged, but it does take a moment longer to readjust my ears and make sure the plug is still well secured. All the more reason to go with a modular helmet, makes this process much easier than reaching up and in a traditional full face helmet.

Overall 5 stars for the No Noise Motorsport earplugs. Highly recommended!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I was happy with EAR Neon
3m-yellow-neons-earplugs.jpg&boundedSize=310
http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/PPE_SafetySolutions_EU/Safety/Products/Product-Catalog-PoW/?PC_Z7_U00M8B1A0OP590IB369UJT2UU4000000_nid=F041QL74K3beN8MT32R3VMgl

Then I tried Howard Leith LaserLite
0281400.JPG
http://www.arco.co.uk/products/281300?s=1

the Laserlite are easier to install, seal better and therefore block more noise. They also last a lot longer as they are more resilient to being used several times before disposal. I think this is due to them being more waterproof. The Neons are more like bath sponges and soak up moisture, compromising their ability to roll up for proper insertion.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have been using custom earplugs for nearly 2 years now - and I don't think I could ever go back!
http://ultimateear.com/products/squidgy.php

they might cost more, but you cannot put a price on comfort. it takes me about a second to put them on. they always fit and in place.
they do not push when wearing a helmet, and a simple wipe and they are clean again.
I have done it with two different colours: Red ® for the right ear, and Blue for the left one.

• Premium Member
I disagree with the need to retain horn and siren noises. They are loud enough that you can still hear them through earplugs. I prefer to attenuate everything so that I don't continue to lose my hearing as the miles roll by.
I use the 3M 1100 foam plugs. They attenuate noise volume by 29 dB. That knocks down the wind and road noise, but the sirens still get through. I bought a box of 200 for less than $20. They came in 100 bags containing one pair each, and I keep a few pairs in each jacket. They are washable and re-usable. I cut off 25% of the length on the narrow end to get a better fit and they are comfortable enough to wear for hours. I also sleep with them and wear them to concerts.4563808.jpg

If I want to listen to music, then I use the Shure SE215. They work well as earplugs on their own because the cables can be disconnected. They claim to have 37dB of sound isolation. How many plugs work that well? They have excellent music quality when connected to a music source. You don't need to turn up the music very loud because they do such a good job of blocking out external noise. And they have a low profile that fits into your ear and under your helmet comfortably. 4563807.jpg

I tried the Howard Leights, but found them to be single-use only. I don't care to throw them away after every ride so they don't work for me.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

These are way better than the standard foam ones I used for years. I'll never go back to that style...unless I forget mine and have to use an old set.  

http://www.amazon.com/Nonoise-Motor-Generation-Ceramic-Filter/dp/B00EDHWELY

41jasrReLAL.jpg

I have those and I hated them, I guess like most gear, its a personal choice....I'm now using the Howard Leith LaserLite plugs and those I really like..much more comfortable for me.

If anyone wants my  no noise plugs, they are yours for free....worn once, cleaned and then put back in the tube.

[span]I use the 3M 1100 foam plugs. They attenuate noise volume by 29 dB. That knocks down the wind and road noise, but the sirens still get through. I bought a box of 200 for less than $20. They came in 100 bags containing one pair each, and I keep a few pairs in each jacket. They are washable and re-usable. I cut off 25% of the length on the narrow end to get a better fit and they are comfortable enough to wear for hours. I also sleep with them and wear them to concerts.[/span]
I also use those. I use them for sleeping too, when not at home. They work well.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Moldex Sparkplugs. -33Db rated, very soft & comfy, and I buy in 100 pair oxes, keep 'em in the garage by my motogear.

earplugs-6604-4-240.jpg
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
I use the Howard Leight Max, which are rated at NRR 33. I started using them for sleeping, then shooting, now riding. They are very comfortable, very inexpensive, and bright colors so easy to find. I get them in boxes of 200 for less than 20 cents a pair.

I have tried about every set of foam plugs on the market. I must have sensitive ears because they all produce incredible pain after a few hours. To the point I dread removing my helmet. Recently bought some putty type plugs called Mighty Plugs. All day comfort and great noise mitigation. Reusable over and over. Even they, though, are not able to overpower the noise produced by the stock windscreen so I ordered a Madstad this week. Anyone else have pain in the ears from the foamies?

• Premium Member
I have tried about every set of foam plugs on the market. I must have sensitive ears because they all produce incredible pain after a few hours. To the point I dread removing my helmet. Recently bought some putty type plugs called Mighty Plugs. All day comfort and great noise mitigation. Reusable over and over. Even they, though, are not able to overpower the noise produced by the stock windscreen so I ordered a Madstad this week. Anyone else have pain in the ears from the foamies?
I have heard many folks complain about pain with the foam plugs, but they never seem to bother me. I guess I'm just lucky that way....

Everyone is different in the ear plug department. But if you're riding all day the majority of people will get pain from foam plugs. Another thing about the foam plugs is that the performance varies form person to person and will not always perform depending on your installation. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

For me the custom molded plugs work consistently better than anything else. Both performance and comfort.

I always wear custom ear-plugs, and have done so for years. I say [em]‘always’[/em], but a few days ago I rushed out of the house for a very short trip and forgot to put them in – what a difference! Never again.

But if I may offer a warning: some years ago I was on a long and fairly arduous hot and sweaty and dusty road trip. Mostly I didn’t bother to remove the plugs at fuel-stops, so they were in for several hours a day, for several consecutive days.

Towards the end of the trip I began to develop an ear-ache in the right ear, which subsequently closed right up and was severely swollen with quite a nasty inner-ear infection. Happily by this time I was home, but medical treatment was necessary, and though successful I still have some slight residual discomfort from time to time.

So my [em]caveat[/em] is – scrupulous hygiene of both the ears and the ear-plugs is necessary to avoid potential problems.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I tried some custom molded ones a number of years ago too. They fit and worked great.....until I put my helmet on. The helmet caused a very slight change to the shape of my ear canal apparently which broke the seal between the ear plug and my ear. Obviously they didn't work that way. I tried the, with different helmets but to no avail. All the years I used foam plugs I had to put the left one in backwards, with the fat end of the taper going in first, in order to get it to stop the noise. I guess that ear is a little abnormal. The Mighty Plugs are so easy and comfortable that I can wear them day after day on long trips with no hint of discomfort, never mind pain.

Archived