Which earplugs do you use?

dakota

I use custom made ear plugs called "Ear Moulds" made here in Oz.

They work so good that I now have a 2nd pair cos hubbies snoring is so bad I wear them every night.
My first set are still going strong (which are 8 years old).

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I started wearing earplugs just for long rides. I found that it made for a more comfortable ride so I now wear them always. One thing led to another and I began using them with the lawnmower and string trimmer.

Riding comfort, and the reduction in distractions that it brings, is an underappreciated benefit of all safety gear.

I'm currently using Moldex Pura-Fit 6800 but find them a bit too long. I'll go back to Hearos, which I really like, after using up my supply.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I use Howard Leight MAX foam earplugs. I also engage in shooting sports, and use them for that as well. they are the best I have found, and you can learn more at:

http://www.howardleight.com/images/pdf/0000/0254/Sound_Source_1a_UnderstandRatings.pdf

For shooting, I also put a headset designed for shooting on top of my ears with the foam plugs inside. The motorcycle helmet plays the same role on my FJ-09

I use the Howard Leight Laser Lite ear plugs. I'm very picky with my helmet fit, and my ears and eyes go along with that. I wear earbuds at work sometimes, and after a few hours they begin to kill me. With the Laser Lites, I can where them all day for several days on end with no discomfort at all, which I found surprising. I DO cut off the little wing ends if I'm going to be wearing them all day, as I find that the little bit sticking out can scratch against the helmet liner and create a loud noise, or push the plug farther in, which is uncomfortable. For my commute to and from work, I don't find that necessary.

I've only been riding for about 8 years now, but ear plugs are one of the best additions to my riding gear, that I've been doing the last year and a half or so. On the street it cuts out a ton of the wind and tire noise, but my ears feel like they "adjust," and I believe that I can pick out all the other small sounds as well. The biggest thing for me is it allows you to concentrate more, especially during technical riding, and it reduces rider fatigue during the long trips. I though it was silly when I read about it, but tried it myself and I'm not a believer! I would say it was one of the biggest "mods" I did to my dirt riding, as the loud exhaust (and sense of speed) is now muffled, and I can concentrate on bike control.

I also tried the reusable wax mold-able plugs that everyone raves about, and I just couldn't get them to work. I do wear the Laser Lites a couple times before tossing.

This is what I have been using so far this year. The Challenger MH model for motorcycle helmet. Sound quality is ok, not as good as average Sony ear buds but that's maybe not a fair comparison. Fit is good and they fit great inside the helmet. As they advertised they are intended to be plugged into a helmet communicator so the cord is relatively short. I'm using these along with a Sena 20s unit for bluetooth and comm.

Ear plugs are definately a good idea, can't imagine not using them....even if they were just plain plugs.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
I'm also using the No-Noise Motorsport ear plugs. I used to use the packages of little foam plugs from Wal-greens that silenced everything to a degree that I could not here the motorcycle, whether or not there was a vehicle next to me, the Sena headset or anyone trying to speak. It was too much sound damping.

With the No-Noise plugs, things are quieter. Certain wind noise frequencies that used to hurt my ears if I tried riding without protection just can't be heard. Yet, I can hear cars in my blind spot or next to me in lane. I can hear my SENA communicator and I can hear my own motorcycle. All of the sounds I DO hear, sound at about the level of a comfortable conversation on the back patio with traffic background noise.

I think it's also important to consider the helmet worn since the Shoei RF1200 is a decently quiet helmet in the first place. The fit is good when inserted just right. If I don't get it just right, I feel like there's a pinch going on in my left ear after about 10 minutes that turns painful after another ten minutes. If I get it right, I completely forget they're there.

• Premium Member
I use,"Pinlock" brand earplugs. Dampen sound but does cancel completely which is perfect. $20.00 at Cycle Gear. Comes in two sizes per pack but only one set of actual ear filters. Wouldn't ride without them. P.S. I also use them with my Sena comm. system. Works just fine.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I use plugfones plugged into my Sena. I'm hoping Sena's noise canceling helmet is released this spring though but it's been "coming soon" for 1.5-2 years now. My Sena has been acting up since I got caught riding in a flash flood late last riding season so I need some new gear anyway.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1053001?term=ear+plugs&pageno=2&r=~|categoryl1:

I have tried a lot of different ear plugs. From $60 custom molded, and foam plugs of various shapes, other brands like this but cost $20 a pair. The plugs in the link above are $1.99 a pair, that is not a miss print. These plugs seem to be large in size but happen to fit my ear great, some smaller plugs do not fit my ear and are useless. I do cut off the loop and cord.

It seems to me that ear plugs can be too good at blocking sound waves, then my skull bones seem to pick up vibrations from my helmet and that causes uncomfortable perception of sound.

Notice that most of ear plugs you can buy a box of 100, which becomes really cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/1053001?term=ear+plugs&pageno=2&r=~|categoryl1: 
I have tried a lot of different ear plugs. From $60 custom molded, and foam plugs of various shapes, other brands like this but cost $20 a pair. The plugs in the link above are $1.99 a pair, that is not a miss print. These plugs seem to be large in size but happen to fit my ear great, some smaller plugs do not fit my ear and are useless. I do cut off the loop and cord.

It seems to me that ear plugs can be too good at blocking sound waves, then my skull bones seem to pick up vibrations from my helmet and that causes uncomfortable perception of sound.

Notice that most of ear plugs you can buy a box of 100, which becomes really cheap.

May have to try these. I have large ear canals. I have access to about 12 different types of ear plugs a work and only the 3m Classics work for me. I just had a set of the custom ones made at Sams club. They worked great until I put my helmet on. I did try the Pinlock ear plugs and the large are to small. As for shooting at an indoor range. Plugs and noise canceling ear muffs are the way to go. Mine hook up to my phone so I can listen to music at the range.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived