Which earplugs do you use?

dakota

I'll stick to my custom Earmould ear plugs. Been using them for 8 years now ans wouldn't be without them.

Fyi - they even block out hubbies snoring ???

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll stick to my custom Earmould ear plugs. Been using them for 8 years now ans wouldn't be without them. 
Fyi - they even block out hubbies snoring ???

+100% on those EarMold plugs - best things since sliced bread.   A week or two ago I went out having forgotten (doh!) to put them in.   What a clatter from the engine and elsewhere, but with them screwed-in just an acceptable hum from wind over the helmet and a muted engine/ chain noise that's not in the least distracting now..   Eventually I just had to turn around and ride home after about a dozen or so km, but not before refuelling.   When I got off the bike for that I felt decidedly disoriented for short time - and I hadn't had a drink all day!   I'm going to buy a cuppla pairs of cheap disposable plugs and carry them on the bike in case I ever again forget the EarMolds - or lose them. 
PS - I think we hear your hubby from here, kimmie!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I use hte Sure Fire EP7 and the EP10s.   The EP7 has a reservoir through the plug which can be capped.   That way you can regulate the noise level to your taste.  The 7s are rated up to 28db when capped.   The EP10s move you up to 30db.  I use the 10s when I have to do alot of highway travel.  I have no problem hearing music from my sena with either version.   I can travel for a full day w/o much if any discomfort.  However, after a couple days of continuous use, some discomfort will set in.    I then switch over to foam plugs.  I keep some Howard leights and some cheap orange ones in the tank bag to switch off.  You can find sure fires in wal-mart but these are usually the EP4.  Suitable for the firing range no so much for a motorcycle I think.

[a href=https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Defenders-filtered-Earplugs-reusable/dp/B01B63Y2IA/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01B63Y2IA&pd_rd_r=BK851MT60GC5KD1FXQQC&pd_rd_w=N16Ra&pd_rd_wg=oIIX3&refRID=BK851MT60GC5KD1FXQQC]Surefire EP7[/a]

SureFire EP10

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I just picked up some 3M OCS1135 E-A-RSoft Yellow Neons, 33db rating, case of 200 pairs, individually wrapped (2 ea), 20.00 USD on Amazon.

Tried them out this afternoon on a short ride and they were comfortable and worked as expected.  Now I have plugs in my tail bag, each riding jacket, and a box of 200 pair next to my helmet.  If I have them handy I am much more likely to use them. :)

• 6 months later...
Mine are still going strong @piotrek so I think it’s an anomaly. Superglue?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I just checked and they claim they’re silicone free, so it may be worth a try. I also checked and mine came with another sized set in the box so see if they are any use as you may have one ear canal bigger/smaller than the other?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I have had the ones you would clean and used them for a long time. I have recently figured out how to put the ones you twist and throw out after a few times of use. It’s cheaper to buy them in bulk and are much more comfortable on long multi day rides, block out the most amount of noise(when put in correctly) and don’t care at all if you lose them.

• Premium Member
I use Mack's that I can buy at any Walmart. They work and are cheap and easy to find.
Do you recall which ones? Do they work okay with the headset (music, speech etc.)? I cork my head with foam plugs (Home Depot) if there's nothing better available, but they block nearly everything.
They're the foam tan ones. I don't have a headset so I can't answer that. With them in and my helmet on I can hear enough to understand speech if the person is standing within a few feet of me. I wear them every time I ride; except when I have my earbuds in listening to talk radio. 

Let’s go Brandon

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Capture.jpg

I clean/reuse them for several days before I throw a pair out. So 50 will last years. Comfy (I have different size ear canals, the fins adjust perfectly), quiet and cannot beat the $10 price

I the same as many have tried lots of different types over the years. I have a peanut sized head and I guess the ear holes are on the small size. For ease of use I had some custom plugs made from a local audiologist, and the fit OK, but they do move when putting on a full face compared to a flip fronted helmet. I do get some pain after an hour or so with the full face. The are reasonably quiet around 24db. I will use the Howard Leight lazer or max lite plugs. They are much quieter at around 34db; they take a bit of getting used to the lack of noise, as at first you feel as if you have gone deaf. I can hear car horns etc with no problems. The are all day comfortable for me. The first pair may clean your ears of wax and you may not want to put them back in. Espessially if you lick them to make them a bit slippery. I carry a few pairs in my tank bag and if the first pair is wet they can dry with a second pair in of at the price I will bin them. Without plugs my ears ring sometimes for hours, not a good sign, I have a deafness issue anyway from years of industry followed by even more years of riding in a fire truck with the windows down and sirens blaring, quite a few rock concerts chucked into the mis did not help either. What I will say is if your hearing is fine, make sure you keep it that way, wear some sort of protection inside that helmet.

Archived