Which earplugs do you use?

dakota

33DB, comfortable, disposable. I've spent 19 years in aviation and 29 years on a motorcycle using all different types of earplugs. These are by far the most comfortable and practical. Pony'd up for the "BIG BOX" of 200 for under 20 bucks on Amazon.
ear_plugs.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
It's very individual.

I recommend buying as many different types/sizes as you can, and picking a favorite.

For a while, I used the silicone flanged ones, but they are not as comfortable long-term, and they sometimes get bonked by the helmet.

I discovered that foam ones, on the smaller side, work much better for me.

I wear earplugs several times a week, whether for subway, for riding, for shows, or even for loud bars.

I buy earplugs for gardening power tools and for car racing.  None have been very good and they don't want to stay in or seal.  I even have tried the wax ones - not bad.

I just bought a new kind at CVS.  These blue ones are marked for a 33db sound reduction.  The others are all marked 22db.  I tried them and they work great. 

Have you guys/gals thought of going to an Audiologist and asking for some custom fit ones if they do something like that?

its something I just thought of since I do use my old ear molds as ear plugs at the nitro drag races...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member

I have tried many different brands, styles and sizes of the "in-ear" foam ear plugs and cant find any that dont hurt after about 2 hours of riding.

I decided to try Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Putty Ear Plugs and they work great for me, very comfortable.  You roll them into a ball and then hold them on the ear canal opening for a few seconds and they form to your ear dimensions.
If I'm on a day-long ride, taking them in and out throughout the day, a set will last a full day.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I've got real small ear canals and have always had problems with finding ear plugs that work or stay put and don't cause pain, that is why when I worked on the ramp as an aircraft mech I wore David Clark ear defenders but they are a tad large to fit inside my helmet so I have tried a number of different ear plugs. The silicone moldable type worked well and didn't cause me as much pain but when I started to sweat they would become loose and not provide the coverage I desired then I was provided with a free set of these https://mightyplugs.com/ about 4 years ago and have been riding with them ever since without issue.

Cheers

• Premium Member
If I want to listen to music, then I use the Shure SE215. They work well as earplugs on their own because the cables can be disconnected. They claim to have 37dB of sound isolation. How many plugs work that well? They have excellent music quality when connected to a music source. You don't need to turn up the music very loud because they do such a good job of blocking out external noise. And they have a low profile that fits into your ear and under your helmet comfortably. 
My favorite sound-isolating earphones are now available in a Bluetooth version. They offer 37 dB of noise reduction, which beats most earplugs and is sufficient that you can play music via Bluetooth to your smartphone at a low to moderate level.  
max_desktop_SE215-_K-_BT1_main-01.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I have tried many different brands, styles and sizes of the "in-ear" foam ear plugs and cant find any that dont hurt after about 2 hours of riding.

I decided to try Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Putty Ear Plugs and they work great for me, very comfortable.  You roll them into a ball and then hold them on the ear canal opening for a few seconds and they form to your ear dimensions.
If I'm on a day-long ride, taking them in and out throughout the day, a set will last a full day.

How do the silicones compare to foam noise wise? I almost wouldn't mind a tad less noise reduction so I can hear my music from the sena a bit better.

I was using the pinlock plugs for a while and then the other day I stopped to grab lunch and upon removing one dropped it in a storm drain :/ Back to foam corks for me which is fine I've been sleeping with them for years so I have many extras.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

If I want to listen to music, then I use the Shure SE215. They work well as earplugs on their own because the cables can be disconnected. They claim to have 37dB of sound isolation. How many plugs work that well? They have excellent music quality when connected to a music source. You don't need to turn up the music very loud because they do such a good job of blocking out external noise. And they have a low profile that fits into your ear and under your helmet comfortably. 
My favorite sound-isolating earphones are now available in a Bluetooth version. They offer 37 dB of noise reduction, which beats most earplugs and is sufficient that you can play music via Bluetooth to your smartphone at a low to moderate level.  

What helmet do you wear and is it easy to put on and remove your helmet with these earplugs in?

• Premium Member
What helmet do you wear and is it easy to put on and remove your helmet with these earplugs in?
I wear a Shoei Qwest and it is a snug fit. When I put it on over the earphones, I pull the chin straps outwards to spread the helmet out a little while putting it on my head. If I don't pull out the straps then the helmet may move the earplugs out of my ears. 
I like that the earphones knock out a lot of noise so that I don't have to play the music very loud. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I wear a Shoei Qwest and it is a snug fit. When I put it on over the earphones, I pull the chin straps outwards to spread the helmet out a little while putting it on my head. If I don't pull out the straps then the helmet may move the earplugs out of my ears. 
I like that the earphones knock out a lot of noise so that I don't have to play the music very loud. 

Cool, that's good to know.  I have a modular helmet so I can also spread it out a bit when putting it on.  I may give these a try since I really have been wanting to add music to my trips.  Can you wear these all day without any pain?  Thanks again for the info.

• Premium Member
Can you wear these all day without any pain?  Thanks again for the info.
I could but I don't think that I ever have. I usually stop several times a day and then I remove them while not riding. 

Just ordered a set of the bluetooth ones SE215 on ebay for $134 delivered.

• Supporting Member

How do the silicones compare to foam noise wise? I almost wouldn't mind a tad less noise reduction so I can hear my music from the sena a bit better. 

I guess the level of noise reduction is subjective.  The actual NRR listed on the box can vary in the real world from my experience.  With the silicone plugs in, I can kind of hear my riding buddy talk if we pull off the road in a low traffic area, I can hear wind noise and vehicles approaching while riding on the highway.
That's not very helpful is it?  I dont listen to music while I ride, so I have no idea how loud a Sena unit is.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived