Soon to be new owner

Looks like I may soon be joining the ranks of FJ09 owners.  I'm a little surprised I'm buying this bike, I am coming off a 2015 KTM1290 Super Adventure, a great bike that cost twice as much as the FJ... but a bike I never really could bond to.  The FJ will be my 69th bike in almost 50 years of never being W/O several motorcycles of all types.  I guess riding my wife's FZ09 convinced me that the FJ  would suit my needs for a tourable and fun performance motorcycle.  Thinking about the Graves full system with PC5 and suspension work.... and looking forward to catching up on the forum!

Anybody know if the Power Commander eliminates the top speed limiter? 

• Premium Member
Looks like I may soon be joining the ranks of FJ09 owners.  I'm a little surprised I'm buying this bike, I am coming off a 2015 KTM1290 Super Adventure, a great bike that cost twice as much as the FJ... but a bike I never really could bond to.  The FJ will be my 69th bike in almost 50 years of never being W/O several motorcycles of all types.  I guess riding my wife's FZ09 convinced me that the FJ  would suit my needs for a tourable and fun performance motorcycle.  Thinking about the Graves full system with PC5 and suspension work.... and looking forward to catching up on the forum!  
Don't think so. Getting the ECU reflashed does the trick for sure. There are plenty of threads addressing this, and I've had mine done also. Works great ! 

Welcome. I am kind of new here also. I was undecided among Triumph Tiger 800 and the KTM 1190. Ended up getting FJ 09 due to price, versatility etc... I hear the best option is NOT to go with PCV but get the ECU flashed when you get the exhaust installed.

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/

I called them the other day and spoke with Neil. He seems a cool guy that is prompt to help. Also, it cost about $200 I think instead of $400+ for the PCV.

• Premium Member
No it does not. You want to have your ECU flashed. Graves has the flashing details on their site. Oh, welcome.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

thanks for the tips!.....will do the reflash......anybody know what kind gains might be expected with a full system and reflash? thx!
What kind of gains are you looking for and why? 
Personnally, I mainly tour, with a tight twisty roads in every days plans.  I have done many advanced riding classes and find the FJ quite suitable just the way it comes for street riding.  The 115mph limit is reached if I go there, but at my age and wisdom, I have found it not necessary to go faster than that anymore.  I had the FZ-09 reflashed to smooth out the throttle and found myself going much faster than it's OEM limit of 130mph and totally realized I was being an idiot.  If you are going to the race track, its a different story.

Have fun with your new bike, hope it works out for you.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
2nd that about 2WheelDyno, they are wonderful to work with, and do a great job with the ECU flash. Welcome aboard, you will love the FJ-09

thanks for the tips!.....will do the reflash......anybody know what kind gains might be expected with a full system and reflash? thx!
Personnally, I mainly tour, with a tight twisty roads in every days plans.  I have done many advanced riding classes and find the FJ quite suitable just the way it comes for street riding.  The 115mph limit is reached if I go there, but at my age and wisdom, I have found it not necessary to go faster than that anymore.  I had the FZ-09 reflashed to smooth out the throttle and found myself going much faster than it's OEM limit of 130mph and totally realized I was being an idiot.  If you are going to the race track, its a different story.

I agree with you ....I would only rarely exceed 115 MPH, but I like the idea of being able to. I never leave a motorcycle alone and enjoy modifying them to their potential (without too much of a sacrifice in other areas) I'm a big believer of improving power to weight ratio with increasing output and lowering weight where I can. As far as output, I'm hoping a full system and re-flash would provide a modest but noticeable increase across the whole range.

• Premium Member

I agree with you ....I would only rarely exceed 115 MPH, but I like the idea of being able to. I never leave a motorcycle alone and enjoy modifying them to their potential (without too much of a sacrifice in other areas) I'm a big believer of improving power to weight ratio with increasing output and lowering weight where I can. As far as output, I'm hoping a full system and re-flash would provide a modest but noticeable increase across the whole range.

cheapest way to get a power to weight ratio improvement is a diet
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived