2017 FJ09

If this has already been covered I apologize, I'm new here. Anyway, I'm visiting the local Yamaha dealer yesterday and he has no FJ's.  Says he's not ordering anymore 2016 models because he will have 2017 models by the end of June.  Any ideas on why such an early 2017 release?  Anybody want to speculate on changes/enhancements? 

• Premium Member
Sounds like BS. Why wouldn't you keep bikes in stock in May and June? Some people just hate money, I guess.
Absolutely.

I bet the dealer has money woes and has not settled the account for previously sold bikes and is now not getting any more.

It happened to the dealer in South Wales and then a few weeks later they were in receivership due to cash flow difficulties and a Yamaha truck outside taking any unsold bikes back to HQ. Since taken over by a small group from England so no customers have been left stranded. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Either BS or a mistaken dealer. The 2016 was announced in October 2015 and didn't actually start showing up in dealers around here (US northeast) until March.

If there were any notable changes driving them release a 2017 that early, they would have been announced by now. You don't do "surprise" releases for major model changes.

Maybe your dealer actually meant 2016 model year and they're just not able to get them in before then because they're low on the distribution list.

Guest bruinfj09guy
This is highly speculative, but maybe he is anticipating a release of a US FZ-10 and is afraid of getting stuck with FJs once the FZ10 becomes available?

• Premium Member
This is highly speculative, but maybe he is anticipating a release of a US FZ-10 and is afraid of getting stuck with FJs once the FZ10 becomes available?
they aren't really competing for the same customers. If they were, why would Yamaha make the bike? 

£2000 price difference. 160bhp v 115bhp will make the MT10 much more expensive to insure. No fairing will rule an MT10 out for touring for many. Many will be put off the inline 4 as they are weird like me and prefer twins or triples. 

I've given the most likely reason above: debt.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest bruinfj09guy
I agree, actually, that the decision to not stock more is likely a financial one. It costs money to hold bikes on the floor; dealer probably wants to sell the bikes they have before getting in more stock.

I disagree, though, that both the FJ-09 and MT/FZ-10 won't appeal to the same consumer. I actually think that they do and that that is the reason there was no 2016 FZ1. I'm sure many former FZ1 owners bought the FJ-09 (I had two FZ1s before my FJ-09) and would gladly go for a modernized version in the FZ-10, with the bells and whistles the FJ has; namely, TCS, ABS, with cruise control on top. The FJ doesn't really have much more of a fairing than the MT-10 and I'm sure a more FZ1-esque typed windshield will show up on the market in no time. But maybe I'm just a rare form of FJ-09 customer; I loved the torquey and grunty triple at the beginning but ultimately went back to the smoothness of a 4 cylinder in my '15 FJR. Having said that, maybe I'm a different type of customer all together given that I bought the FJR. But I'd still give the FZ-10 a whirl as a second bike if it showed up in the US, and I do imagine there will be FJs going in on trade if the FZ-10 hits the floors States-side. We'll see. A dealer I spoke with a few weeks ago thinks the FZ-10 will never show up here as it looks "too European," but the FJ is a bit of an unconventional looking bike, too, and it seems to have done ok. Ultimately, there is overlap on bikes and bike customers; crotch-rocket guys sometimes buy cruisers; cruiser guys sometimes buy sport tourers; sport touring guys sometimes buy crotch rockets. Personally, I'm in the market for a good used FZ1 again, or maybe an FZ09, now that I've done away with the FJ-09 and have the FJR.

I think Yamaha is actually quite strategic with their releases and overlap of options. Case in point: the FZ9 and the XSR 9. Those bikes are essentially the same with a few different decorative pieces.

My guess is if there is a 2017 FJ-09 it will have cruise, at least as an option.

Guest bruinfj09guy
My guess is if there is a 2017 FJ-09 it will have cruise, at least as an option.
If Yamaha reads this forum they should also improve the seat, handle bars and windshield.
(rofl)  

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
any rumors?
Nothing and with the launch of the MT07 Tracer & MT10, Yamaha are a bit busy at the moment. Apart from new colours, I would not expect any significant changes until the Tracer/FJ09 has been in production three years. We'll find out in a few months as any announcement is likely to be made at the Milan show on 10 Nov 2016.  

Archived