What do you want to see in the new FJ-09

Let's tell Yamaha what we would like to see in the FJ-09 if it ever becomes a reality.

Like -

5 gallon tank
Touring cases
Windshield options.
Suspension travel for the occcasional off road
Cruise Control?
Standard equiped Center Stand.

Optional Colors - What's your favorite.

Definitely under 450 lb, MSRP under 10k with luggage, the windscreen in the pics looks kind of awful, so I'm sure I'll be in for a Givi or related touring screen. Cruise control would be icing on the cake but not required. A better suspension than the FZ would be nice, but adds cost. I'd almost rather keep the cheap stuff and go upgrade at a later date.

I'm conflicted on color. My favorite colors are red and gray, but we already have a red bike and a gray bike in the stable... so I think I really want one in white.

Hi Koinz, centerstand- looks like Yamaha has got that coveredadjustable seat height- My '08sdr came with 3sets of spacers of different lengths you can mount between the seat pan and sub frame to tailor seat to peg distance to your inseam. ( great for older/longer legs)    That's about it for me  The after market should help out with any of the other issues that chronically plague new models.  Suspension- I've a Penske twinclicker, I 'can have built to fit. Several outfits sell springs/pistons or complete cartridge systems that will work in the forks- I don't know why bikes don't come from the factory with quality or even decent suspension components. It doesn't cost that much more to make a piece that works : instead of a turd. :)      Windshield- maddstad engineering will have a trick system that works once these bikes start sell'in. ;)   Luggage- Giant Loop - I picked up the Great Basin saddle bag system last spring - It's great on the 'strom or the WR250r ,bet it will work on one of these critters too.          OK, there is one more thing Yamaha could do in the ergonomics department. The Superduke top tree had 2 clamp locations for the handle bars. Pretty cool for a performance machine to have adjustments to fit the rider.    You're going to need to flash the ECU to defeat the lean surging and hesitation that comes with having to meet more stringent emissions, but there are shops out there that know this set up.  I hope Yamaha doesn't castrate the FJ power plant the way Suzuki did when the went from the TL to the V strom ,or even from the SV 1000 to the 'STROM.    Time will tell.         

Agree on the suspension as well. I put penske's on my ST. Love them. Also had my ecu flashed, it woke the beast up. Of course a nice slip on muffler and possible an open header. On the st, the cat is in the header pipe.

Would love to see this as a shaft drive bike, but maybe asking for too much there. That would definitely drive the cost up.

Hate to burst anyones bubble, but this bike is already designed and being built right now. It comes out next week, November 3rd.

It does have centerstand, you can see it in the pics. It does have a larger fuel tank than the FZ-09, it has taller suspension but not sure that I would take it on anything more than a fire road. It probably will weigh in around 460 lbs, maybe a few lbs less.

I am actually designing a skid plate for the FJ-09, will finish the design once I can actually see an FJ-09 in person and will sell it right here on the forums for an affordable price, probably by April, if not sooner.

I'm really looking forward to the release of this bike and also, the new R-1. The Kawasaki H-2 is getting all kins of pub right now, but I wanna see what the new R-1 is gonna be like because people will actually be able to afford an R-1.

• 1 month later...
Cruise Control is a must. I hope they put out a kit to add cruise. Rather then a tail rack that is added behind, how about a rack that sits on the passenger handles that can carry a top box. Allowing room for a 14" duffle behind the rider on the seat. For solo riders.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 2 months later...
I am actually designing a skid plate for the FJ-09, will finish the design once I can actually see an FJ-09 in person and will sell it right here on the forums for an affordable price, probably by April, if not sooner.
Is this still an ongoing project?  I finally got to look under an FJ-09, and that oil pan really does look very exposed...

HAving a hell of a time with the mounts. That feakin exhaust is just in the way of everything and to go under it would leave hardly any clearance.
yeah, that was my second thought:  "... very exposed...   and very hard to protect!"   :-)

Archived