Took the FJ-09 to the Drag Strip

My local track day organization has been running some events at the local drag strip.  Last year I took my 2005 R6 and had a blast! And melted my clutch.

This year I took the FJ-09.  I was hoping to get into the 11s, but the best time I got was a 12.061.  I'll take it for my second time to the drag strip.

20160607_194933_zpsvwsxzo41.jpg

I was struggling with the launches for the first few runs, as the anti-wheelie control kept kicking in on launch.  After 4 runs this way, I turned it off and it was much easier.  It seems like the unsophisticated wheelie control on the FJ-09 would kill my drive.  The anti-wheelie on the new R1 is much more smooth.

Even without anti-wheelie, my 60 ft times weren't great because I didn't want to destroy my clutch again lol.

Also, I kept hitting the speed limiter! You see above my trap speed was 110.24.  Those of you who have hit the speed limiter know that it isn't a hard stop at 115mph, rather the bike slows down once it hits 110mph and gradually hits 115mph.  I think without the top speed limiter, one could get 113+mph.

On my R6 last year, my best time was 11.350 @ 122.21 mph.

i'd like to see what my bike would do with the mini windshield i built + no topbox. Should shave a 1/4 second at least.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

We finally convinced rocky to move his Madstad down and tilt it back AND remove the top box. Did that help, rocky??? I didn't see your last print out. But it was pretty awesome to see rocky straight up-and-down on the bike with the topbox on the totally silent (by comparison) FJ. :-)

I had my FJ at the strip last night as well but didn't make any runs as I had an hour ride home and didn't want to risk any damage to the bike and being left stranded. Maybe I'll trailer it down next time...

Yea I'd bet you'd do pretty well with that docsimple!.

Yea like badger said, for my last run I removed the top box and tilted the windscreen, which I think helped a tiny bit.

I definitely think this bike has low 11s in it with the right rider! There are guys on the FZ-09 running high 10s @ 122mph

• 2 years later...

Archived