GPS suggestions. Anybody try the TomTom rider 400?

martyl

I use my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active smartphone. It's waterproof and the capacitive touch screen works through the summer-weight gloves I use. (I haven't tried cold weather gloves, but I suspect they would have to have a touch screen compatibility feature; additionally, moisture on a capacitive touch screen renders it almost useless, so you had better enter your destination on the Maps app before you enter that rainstorm.) I just mount it to my handlebars with Mob Armor's "Mob Mount", and I have access to navigation, entertainment and communication all in one device. The main drawback is that AT&T is the only carrier that hosts the S7 Active in the U.S.

Personally, I don't understand why most high-end smartphones aren't waterproof by now. We have the technology.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active smartphone.  
Personally, I don't understand why most high-end smartphones aren't waterproof by now. We have the technology.
Maybe the 700 and 800 dollar price tags have something to do with it. 

• Premium Member
I use my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active smartphone. It's waterproof and the capacitive touch screen works through the summer-weight gloves I use. (I haven't tried cold weather gloves, but I suspect they would have to have a touch screen compatibility feature; additionally, moisture on a capacitive touch screen renders it almost useless, so you had better enter your destination on the Maps app before you enter that rainstorm.) I just mount it to my handlebars with Mob Armor's "Mob Mount", and I have access to navigation, entertainment and communication all in one device. The main drawback is that AT&T is the only carrier that hosts the S7 Active in the U.S. 
best keep the S7 immersed in water but keep topping up the level as it boils off
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

best keep the S7 immersed in water but keep topping up the level as it boils off
You are thinking of the Note 7.  There is some speculation that the fires are a result of impurities in the batteries being used for the Note.  I'm not too concerned about my S7 Active; however, it has a larger 4,000 mah battery, so if it ever does go up, it will be quite an energetic event. 
I prefer the ease of use and stability of iOS, but until the iPhone is waterproof in its own right, I'm stuck with Android.  Then again, last I checked, Apple's map application is not exactly spectacular.

• 1 year later...
Like he said above, the ZUMO 660LM with the ram mount kit is the way to go. The reason I switched from the automotive style is the "route" feature. I can draw a 350 mile route on Google map, as many crocks and curvy roads as I like. Export the map as a "KML" file, import the KML in the 660 and name it. It will show up as a track, then convert the track to a route. Now you have a route listed in you favorites. When you are ready to ride, select the  route and it will follow it just like you drew on Google maps. Sometimes my route starting point is a 100 miles away, so I use the feature, "go to start of route" it will make a direct path to the beginning of the route. Paid about $350 on eBay with the ram mount kit.
I know this is an older post, I have a 660LM and ive used HD Ride Planner or BaseCamp to build routes in the past. You can just create a route in Google Maps and Upload a KLM file and the GPS will read it? You don't have to convert it to a .gpx ? Ive spent hours trying to get the KLM to GPX with zero luck of keeping all my way points. Has garmin done away with this? My GPS is less than a year old 

• Supporting Member
I use the Garmin Nuvi 55 GPS, I bought it for a little over $100 and have used it for several years. It can be oriented in landscape or portrait mode and is attached with a RAM mount.
It doesn't have a built in "Twisty Mode"... But I do!!!

GPS.jpg

This road is ID-21 in Idaho between Boise and Lowman. FANTASTIC twisties!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I use an Iphone and an App called Scenic.  The app was developed by a motorcyclist.  It has downloadable maps and a twisty roads feature.  It works pretty well and is cheap.  I've also used a an older Nuvi that allows mp3 and bluetooth but is not motorcycle specific.  It was okay but I prefer the simplicity of the phone.

• Premium Member
Maybe the 700 and 800 dollar price tags have something to do with it.
The Kyocera Duraforce Pro is $420 and is waterproof/ruggedized. I used to have a Samsung "rugged" phone - the Galaxy Rugby Pro - and it was an expensive joke. Screen broke in the first month after a one meter fall, and it was downhill from there.

On my second Kyocera rugged phone, the first one lasted 3.5 years. Their software is buggy but the hardware is bomb proof.

That said, like other phones it is only good for short term navigation. GPS functionality chews through the battery pretty quickly.

I use a Chinavision Rage GPS. $114

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/All-Terrain-4.3-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS-Navigation-System/
Ive had it for a year now, came loaded with Canada/usa/mexico maps. I hard wired it to the aux power outlets behind the dash so it turns on automatically when i start the bike and keeps my aux 12v outlet free. It has an IPX7 waterproof rating (i rode through an Arizona monsoon downpower without issue). Has bluetooth, 4g storage, microUSB slot, trip log, altimeter, sunrise/sunset times, POIs including gas stations, hotels, parking lots..., posted speed limits for the road you're on, 3D buildings in major cities, and lots of other features that arent necessary.
Cons: -due to glare the screen can be hard to see in direct sunlight.
-i havent figured out how to upgrade or add maps. It uses igo maps btw.
-no twisty road mode :(

Pretty good value for the price

Review: https://youtu.be/-77jxmGhvMU

• 4 weeks later...
I used to use a motorcycle GPS but after I discovered the great android software available switched to using my phone. Use it with a RAM X mount.

You can use Google Maps if you cache maps beforehand (so you don't need a cell phone connection to navigate). You can preplan a route too and send it to your phone. There are also a myriad of GPS apps available for download that store maps on the phone and do not require a data/phone connection. Many allow for the importation of preplaned routes. Just Google Motorcycle Android Apps.

@dbeau, in google maps, plan your route by adding stops until you’re happy with it, then you’ll be prompted to “tap to download offline directions for spotty connections on your route” and the whole thing will be saved to your phone. You have to be signed into a google account for this to work.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived