FJ-09 dyno numbers!

A bunch of owners of the Super Tenere went through this when it first hit North America. The up-shot was that the top speed is controlled by the ECU. Much like most chip controlled fly be wire bikes. Somebody will break into the ECU and start making a flash available for the FJ.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that does suck. To be honest, I only tried it once, got to 114mph and thought I felt just a hint of a wobble. Probably just my imagination? But reading this makes me wonder. Any hint of wobble Lewis or David?

Not that I "need" to go any faster, but that would suck if this bike is limited in speed because of some stability issue.

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Well, that does suck. To be honest, I only tried it once, got to 114mph and thought I felt just a hint of a wobble. Probably just my imagination? But reading this makes me wonder. Any hint of wobble Lewis or David? 
Not that I "need" to go any faster, but that would suck if this bike is limited in speed because of some stability issue.

Ty
Zero wobble this time, but I tucked under my tall windscreen with arms in. I also tightened the windscreen screws tight. Mine came loose and I think that might contribute to the wobble in the past. Also wind as our arms are in the wind stream at that speed and could cause the wobble.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Very true, I would seldom find the conditions to run faster than the limiter either. Its a small gripe considering how great the rest of the bike is...
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
Ohh, so you did feel a wobble before? Interesting. Not too concerned, I didn't buy this bike to do top speed runs. If I want that, my Bandit 1200S has topped out at 150... way faster than I want to go again! 
Ty
Not really a wobble, but a lightness in the front end. As I push this bike more and more I am starting to discover the suspension limitations. Hard sharp hits are really jolting and ripple pavement (washboarding) on the fwy is bothersome.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Is it just North America with these limits? And I cant fathom why they would cut 20%  off the top end of the bike? Small gripe my a$$. It's a "  I want my money back" size gripe. Why should I have to spend hundreds to get an ECU flash for something that should be there already. WTF Yamaha. I bought a performance sport bike with the performance neutered?

Had a chance to give it another test today. Isolated stretch of road.

TCS off
Mode A

Blasted quickly to 114mph.. no more. Not a hint of wobble. So that's where we are for now.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the razor sharp steering, great brakes, and comfort. A really easy bike to ride! ;)

Ty

This MT 09 Tracer in Germany seems to be doing a good 128mph or so. Might just be a US thing? [video src=http://youtu.be/ByBtubJ8qM4]

Lets see, I saw 218kph in that Vid... that converts to 135mph. Exactly what the FZ-09 is limited to. What we should expect here. Yamaha is going to have to give us an answer....

Ty

• Premium Member
I have read elsewhere that top speed is 145 mph.
Probably just speculation. Do you have a link? 
FYI, the U.S. ECU has P/N 2SC-8591A-20-00. The UK ECU P/N is 2SC-8591A-00. I guess the extra 20 means 20% less top speed.

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

The speed limiter is disappointing on the FJ. Even the Versys 650 can go higher than that and was only limited in speed by the lack of horsepower. What's Yamaha thinking off? I don't get it. Maybe someone will figure how to copy the UK ECU programming and flash it to the US. I would seriously keep my Versys if the MT09 Tracer is also limited at 115mph.

We need to go straight to our dealers and get the skinny from them.  They will need to contact Yamaha corporate directly.

IF the dealers start feeling the heat, you can bet that Yamaha will.

Yamaha can't afford to take a PR hit like this.

On the other hand, it's not THAT big of a deal to me, unless it was done as a safety measure to cover up a design flaw in the handling above 115mph.  For example, my old Ducati 848 had a top-end of about 165mph.  How many times a year did I go that fast?  NEVER.  The FJ-09 is still probably the quickest bike in its class out there, bar none.  As for the previous comparison of top speed vs. the KLR650, I'd only point out that the KLR would be left far behind in an instant before top speed ever became an issue.

All of that said, it is somewhat confusing that a bike with a projected top speed of 140-145mph would be crippled on purpose by the manufacturer.  We deserve an answer!

Archived