MT10 test ride

wessie

• Premium Member
Tracer in for a service so I just spent an hour on a Yamaha MT10. Like almost every other inline 4 I have ridden, it's not my thing. I missed the torque of the triple engine at the first junction.

The R1 derived, crossplane engine makes a lovely burble when you open the throttle at 5000 rpm but after that the wind noise drowns out the engine until you are near the top of the rev range. I didn't use earplugs but any long term owner will want them.

Riding position is not too bad. My knees were happy. Arms less so as you are canted forward more so than the Tracer. Compared to what I'm used to, I felt perched on top of the bike. Bars are not so wide as I am used to so felt narrow to begin with, but I soon got used to the level of steering needed for each turn. Due to the wet conditions I wasn't pushing it hard in corners.

Riding at 50-70 across a twisty B road was fine as far as wind/noise. Accelerating up to over a ton happens very quickly as you would expect. If you ride at this speed often then I would suggest using a fly screen to deflect the air over your head - at an indicated 100mph my helmet visor was trying to make friends with my nose so I didn't go much faster.

Suspension was set on the firm side (no idea if this is the default). This was too firm for the bumpy roads I deliberately selected to be quite representative of my main riding. One bump made me leap out of the saddle to the point where I inadvertently opened the throttle. Not something to be recommended on a 160bhp bike.

The seat is an odd shape. It feels hard when you sit on it and it feels even harder after 40 minutes and by the end of my hour, I just wanted to get off the bike.

Fuelling is very good. At low revs the bike is a pussycat. My perception is the bike is not going anywhere but that is because my brain is calibrated for big twins & triples and I expect the initial take off to be a bit jerky and maybe needing some clutch slippage. People who go the other way complain big twins & triples are lumpy or jerky.

I tried all of the power modes but defaulted back to the middle one. I didn't alter the TCS from the default as the roads were quite damp in places and pissing with rain elsewhere. The air in your face is an advantage in the rain as it keeps your visor clear.

I went around the Gloucester North bypass and the bike is a pussycat in traffic. You might get fed up with the leant forward riding position if you do lots of urban miles.

Mirrors are straight off the Tracer so work for me but others may fill them with elbows. There's an annoying white LED on the dash - seems to be like the Eco thing on the Tracer which encourages you to change up - it's not linked to revs. I would want to turn it off or fit some tape over it.

So, the funny crank hasn't changed my mind about inline fours. They just don't float my boat. The seat is a major disappointment and will cause many threads on forums and create business for Bagster etc.

I won't be going back to test the bike in better weather.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the review. What is it with Yamaha that their seats suck? Even my forty year old XS650C I immediately replaced the seat back then as the stock one was like a 2x4. I hope I can demo the MT-10. I'd like to try the XSR900 as well.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Thanks for the review. What is it with Yamaha that their seats suck? Even my forty year old XS650C I immediately replaced the seat back then as the stock one was like a 2x4. I hope I can demo the MT-10. I'd like to try the XSR900 as well.
Spa/Skellerns have a few XSRs in stock. Green one looks nice. Try to think of it as the British Racing Green favoured by Triumph rather than the same green the Diversion 900 came in...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Very good review.

Much better than the bike "review" mags/net places that have to pander to get called back to do more reviews.

I'm with you on the I4's lack of low end tourqe, the solution was always to go down a tooth on the front sprocket, and that usually made the speedo closer to accurate too.

Go down a tooth on the FJ09 or FZ09, and it would be so wheelie happy, you'd be hard pressed to ride it without losing your rights to freedom quickly. ;)

But that's true of my experience with high power I4's on top.. they are just too much fun in that 100 to 150mph range, and that will get you arrested in many places if you are caught. (And it's too easy to just pass a few cars, and be going 135mph.. whoops..)

I do miss that top end on my FZ1, but for 99.9% of the rides, I LOVE the easy power of this smaller Triple. :)

• 1 month later...
about a month ago, i rode one. i wrote a blog about it here (with pictures):

http://4theriders.com/blog/first-ride-on-the-yamaha-fz10/

as for torque, it's a cross plane i4...it makes torque similar to that of a v twin. i didn't find the bike lacking in torque what-so-ever. that bike has no top end like a typical 4. it's all low and mid-range.

here's a quick excerpt from my blog:

"The bike looks like garbage. I’ll just lead in with that. I don’t know what the hell Yamaha was thinking when they designed it. That actually seems to be a bit of a trend lately with Yamaha and their new line up of bikes. Like the FJ09. It too looks like a recycled can. But that doesn’t mean I don’t love it! The FZ10, not at all to be confused with the FZ1, because that’s a COMPLETELY different mo-sheen, also appears to be made of post-consumer products."

i got to ride an XSR about 2 months ago.  fabulous machine!   

4TR_9820-X2.jpg

and here's the fz10
4TR_3990-XL.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Go down a tooth on the FJ09 or FZ09, and it would be so wheelie happy, you'd be hard pressed to ride it without losing your rights to freedom quickly. ;)

I dropped the stock sprocket to a 15 tooth within a few weeks of owning the bike, it makes it much more enjoyable to ride.  Taking off from a dead stop takes much less effort and makes the engine feel much more alive and responsive, and I happen to like shifting and riding it above 5K rpm on a normal basis.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 6 months later...

Archived