Fixing the FJ-09 Achilles Heel - Oil Drain Plug

Cruizin

11 minutes ago, nhchris said:

That sealing washer looks a bit trick. Where do you get another one at next oil replacement? Ebay?

cb

I picked up a bunch at a local autoparts but they're pretty common and cheap. Amazon, Ebay.....yep. Just google "Dowty Washer".

Edited by comsym
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Had the low profile Mazda plug on my 2015, it had an 8 or 8.5mm socket. Soft metal.

Replaced it with one of these, "814-M14BLK", several brands available. I prefer the 6mm socket.

Used a Yamaha crush washer, cheaper and better quality than the auto parts store version.

M14x1.5 thread.

2.jpg

Edited by suncoaster
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, link is still good;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F311557082474

Magnetic too! Just gives you a state of engine condition. Don't think it's going to stop anything. Just seeing the little bit of black powder material each time and not slivers makes ya feel good. Everything's OK. 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thanks 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Thanks, @BentAero - I also used

s-l400.jpg

Will fit 2016 Yamaha R1. Just wipe off this black gunk, replace...

...ground off the guard on my 2015 FJ-09 and installed this plug - fits perfectly.  No more worries about THAT.

And - thanks again for the FJR bags...still working great :)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 11 months later...