{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Thanks for sharing Charlie. I haven't noticed any noise yet but good to know Yamaha is acknowledging problem.

Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

It takes a while for it to filter around. When the "Intent to recall" for the shift shaft issue came out in the US, it took a couple of weeks for it to make it's way around the world. So far, this isn't a recall, but a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). Not sure if it will become a recall, seems enough bikes are affected to do the TSB but not enough to issue a general recall.

Still, good on Yamaha for responding.

Ive been getting intermittent rattling from the cam chain tensioner so I will probably let them replace it with the new part at no cost to me... if that doesnt fix the problem I will be going with the APE tensioner.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Well, Holly Heck, I'm TOTALLY VINDICATED in my correct viewpoint that the DESIGN OF THIS TENSIONER IS FLAWED.

Period.

You guys have no idea the hoops Yamaha had me jump through on this deal. I started out with a 2014 FZ09, that died when the CCT failed in epic manner, ultimately resulting in the bike locking up the engine, and rear wheel at over 60mph, when I'd just passed a very large, lifted Ford F350 Powerstroke that was spooling his sewer pipe exhaust and right on my ass, mad because I'd just passed him and about 10 other vehicles on the way to work....

When CHAAASSSIIPPPIITTTTT! It made a huge noise, lost power, and locked up solid. The dealer had told me they would look at it, but it would take a few days. They told me it was normal noise, not to worry about it. I had become so disgusted with Yamaha, and my local service department, that I had just bought the APE unit to replace the very common for 2014 CCT failure prone design.

But the engine failed before I could put the manual set and forget it design that never fails. (Sure, the cam tensioner slider can wear, and you have to re-adjust the tension, but unless you fail to lock the nut on the manual unit, or adjust it too tight? Even then, you would only have a slight amount of wear, and it would be "adjusted" correctly when the wear resulted in the correct amount of chain tension. (Worse case example, adjust it as APE recommends, and you will be fine, thousands of race engines run these manual CCT's and they don't fail. Period.)

So, I see Yamaha has a new "oil" system to help lubricate the cam chain. During my many, and very long arguments with Yamaha "warranty" EXPERTS, they told me that the design was a oil pressure piston.. Laughable, it's not, never was on this engine design, and one of the reasons I think they finally agreed to warranty my bike's engine failure at less than 2000 miles.

The "ratchet" mechanism in there is brittle, and failures due to it breaking are commonplace in the FZ09 community. Many folks originally tried to put a set screw in to limit the ability for the plunger to "back out loose" and this caused many CCT's to break, and those parts were thankfully trapped inside the CCT, but it was totally useless at that point.

Others had complete engine failures like mine, not hundreds, but enough that on a new bike, with an absolute jewel of an engine design, we were very unimpressed with Yamaha that they would allow such a great engine to falter on such a POS CCT design. We are talking about a part that might cost 30.00 to source, if that for Yamaha. A manual CCT supplied to a large builder like Yamaha would be much less than 30.00 cost per unit, and it's about as easy to design as anything mechanical. It's a BOLT AND A LOCK NUT fixed into plate/bore fitting? Hello, high school CAD CAM here folks.

Anyway, I'm happy to see that Yamaha has done the right thing finally. It's taken a few years, and I'm sure they have many other owners like me who just wanted a bike that's reliable, and fun to ride. They got most of it right. But on this little detail, EPIC FAILURE YAMAHA.

Give us all mechanical CCT's and the oil mod please. No charge, and Yamaha should pay me back for having to buy my APE unit to solve their $HITTY CHEAP A$$ design.

Went back over the TSB.

1) The oil mod is NOT needed if you go with a manual CCT.

2) The "worn" pics provided by Yamaha are going to be interesting for them in court, assuming that some of the failed engines ended up there. (Mine was headed there, but they finally agreed to warranty the engine failure, so I immediately traded the 1214 FZ09 in for the 2015 FJ09 that I have today, but it cost me more than 2000.00 in lost value, not counting the higher price of the FJ over the FZ. I wonder if Yamaha will agree to pay me that lost money? I doubt it.)

3) They have two versions now of the CCT, appears that they changed the case machine work/design to get more oil supply to the CCT, so if you are lucky, and have the new machine work/design you only need a replacement CCT, but if you have the older original engine case, you will need a different CCT with a "seal" or ring seal on the body and a cam cover bolt and spacer to allow cam shaft oil galley supply to the CCT below it. (Or increase the amount of oil flowing to the CCT at least.)

4) It's still not a "hydraulic" unit, but now with the added oil, it does appear they have realized that wear is a problem on the ratchet, something the owners of this failed/flawed design would be quick to remind them fails on bikes with a few thousand miles on it, or worse, as folks have ridden them failed later out of warranty, and APE has made a ton of money selling the best fix possible.

Come on Yamaha, man up and make it right with ALL the triple owners out here, man up and provide a manual CCT, and for the folks who had to buy their own, cover the cost of that at least. (And in the cases where engine failure cost us thousands? At least give us something to compensate for the loss?)

Free set of hard bags in Red would be nice... Figure 2000.00 of my lost money is worth a few hundred in bags right?

RIGHT.

I expect nothing from Yamaha, and ONLY because this is an awesome bike did I buy another one. It sure is not because I'm happy with how Yamaha treated me, or the others who like me, had massive engine failure as a result of their failed/flawed CCT design.

At 1000 miles my CCT has starting having this problem. Rattle was intermittent at first, but now it's happening often. I took the bike to the dealer last weekend and thankfully they had just received this TSB. I'm letting them do the Yamaha fix while the bike is still in warranty, but they haven't received the parts yet.

@sixcharlie You seem to be missing page 3 and posted page 4 twice.  Any chance we can get page 3?