{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

I am very happy with the APE tensioner, but I have one gripe.... the jam nut is not a metric fastener. I'd expect that for a metric bike, the fix would be suited accordingly. It's somewhere between 17mm and 18mm, so I'm guessing it's an Imperial fastener. 6-point 18mm offset box end worked good enough... but was a bit sloppy. No biggie by any stretch, but I found it odd. Over the many years I've only owned metric vehicles (since I parted with my Chevelle SS in 1986), and now have very few Imperial measure tools.
Yup it's an 11/16" 
Another complaint is that both the mounting and adjuster bolts are poorly anodized and will rust unless you give them a coat of WD-40 every so often.  Using the stock mount bolts solves half that problem at least.

It works and we don't have much alternative, but relative to it's high price, the APE CCT is kind of a piece of crap.  That thing should be $40 at most,  bastards probably know they have a captive audience.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy with the APE tensioner, but I have one gripe.... the jam nut is not a metric fastener. I'd expect that for a metric bike, the fix would be suited accordingly. It's somewhere between 17mm and 18mm, so I'm guessing it's an Imperial fastener. 6-point 18mm offset box end worked good enough... but was a bit sloppy. No biggie by any stretch, but I found it odd. Over the many years I've only owned metric vehicles (since I parted with my Chevelle SS in 1986), and now have very few Imperial measure tools.
Yup it's an 11/16" 
Another complaint is that both the mounting and adjuster bolts are poorly anodized and will rust unless you give them a coat of WD-40 every so often.  Using the stock mount bolts solves half that problem at least.

It works and we don't have much alternative, but relative to it's high price, the APE CCT is kind of a piece of crap.  That thing should be $40 at most,  bastards probably know they have a captive audience.

Does anyone know of another company that makes a cam chain tensioner for our bikes?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

PSR - (Powersports Racing) makes one that's a bit more reasonably priced.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/75945/i/psr-manual-cam-chain-tensioner

I was aware of this when I bought the APE tensioner, but while I saw other people mention it, I couldn't find comments from anyone who actually bought one and installed it.

Ultimately, because I'm a coward, I paid an extra $25 to get the APE merely because it was a known quantity, but in retrospect I doubt it's any better quality than the PSR.  I mean it's a bracket, a screw, and some nuts to lock it into position - pretty hard to mess up as long as the mounting bolt holes are in the right place.

@piotrek and @stevesweetz I saw PSR made tensioners, but on their site it said that it did not fit the FJ-09. Maybe I went to the wrong product.

Regardless, my dealership just ordered the new CCT kit so I will go that route for now. Funny thing is the service clerk was pretty adamant over the phone that the noise would have to be verified before Yamaha would approve the claim,but changed their tune when I was standing in front of them. After explaining the noise to them and that the noise was intermittent, they ordered it without having anyone so much as look at my bike. All they did was verify that my VIN fell into the affected range. They said it would only take 5-7 days to get the kit... we shall see.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Just talked to the dealer (has my bike in for it's second CCT replacement at 1600 miles, parts have been back ordered), the new ship date I was quoted is Dec. 2cnd.
Yikes.  Dealer has my bike for the CCT (17k miles), has had it for three weeks and has not given me a date for the parts yet.  I'll call them tomorrow, riding weather is just getting good.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

After being told last week that the CCT my dealer had on order wouldn't ship until Dec, they called today and it has been delivered. I'll be glad to have it changed out next week, hope this time it lasts.
I called my dealer yesterday.  I was also told that the tensioner was on backorder until December 6th.  The guy also said that Yamaha told them they "may get it sooner."  I told them to give it another week to see if the Yamaha tensioner arrives, and if not, I will pick up my bike as-is next weekend and put a manual tensioner in it myself until the OEM parts arrive.  I ride essentially every day and there's no way I'm going to be bikeless during the best riding season of the year. 
And for those that will say "just put the MCCT in it and leave it," I have the extended service plan until 2020 and I put a lot of miles on my bikes.  I would rather know that a critical engine part is being covered under warranty than have an aftermarket part in it.
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

... Funny thing is the service clerk was pretty adamant over the phone that the noise would have to be verified before Yamaha would approve the claim,but changed their tune when I was standing in front of them. After explaining the noise to them and that the noise was intermittent, they ordered it without having anyone so much as look at my bike.
Yep... the easiest way to dismiss someone (like a customer with an issue) is via text/email (social media darling), not so much via telephone... and even harder face-to-face.... if you have the right argument. Quite a thing this human interaction is, I tell ya. 
Hope all goes well with the Yamaha CCT. On the referenced site I saw the FZ-09 in the drop down list, but not FJ-09.

FZ-09 and FJ-09 engines are 100% identical, FWIW.
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Just had the TSB completed again. The new tensioner, which I was told was the latest from Yamaha (who knows what that means at this point) is externally identical to the last one I had put in, cast "S2" and red dot. Not sure if that means anything or not, but the noise is gone, and I'm happy for now.

I had my FJ in for a oil change at 44,000 miles ( I ride every day) I ask them to check the CCT just for peace of mind.  They said it looked good but they would have the new type in Dec. and replace the original one NO CHARGE.    Dealer replaced CCT three times then installed APE CCT NO CHARGE .

• 4 weeks later...
Strange thing happened today. I brought my FJ in for a warranty kick stand issue in early September. The dealer told me that there was a recall on the FJ for the Cam Chain Tensioner. He said he'd call me back about it. Just heard from him today- He got the kit in for my "recall" and wanted to make an appointment to install it. I don't think I'm getting any CCT noise. I'm at 16k miles with constant everyday use since I bought it 6 months ago. Anyone else get told this was a recall? Could this be the CCT kit that you all are saying will be arriving to many dealerships in Dec? I wouldn't want to install the outdated CCT just to do it again.

• Premium Member
Vinnie, I'm not sure if this is an official,"Recall" or a,"service bulletin". Whatever they want to call it, personally I didn't have any noise but I choose to have it replaced with the new one. At first after the swap mine then made noise when cold but quieted down when warmed up. After some miles now no noise. I guess it had to settle in?
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 2 weeks later...
Been a month since my dealer ordered my kit.. still waiting.
Same here, been almost 2 months.  Bike is sitting sad in the garage on the battery tender.
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen