{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

Been a month since my dealer ordered my kit.. still waiting.
Same here, been almost 2 months.  Bike is sitting sad in the garage on the battery tender.
I'm still riding mine daily.. The cam chain noise Ive heard has been intermittent so I'm not too worried about it. If I start hearing it more often I will put it up.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, someone on here noted this earlier, and yes it's true... the APE tensioner (adjusting screw) does rust. I noticed when prepping the bike for storage. No biggie and cleaned up pronto... but still.. ::)
Yeah for $80, the quality on that thing is too low.  The mounting screws rust too - but I think most of us stuck with the stocks screws for that. 
I handed my bike over to the dealer for winter storage this weekend (I don't have a garage) and they told me they had finally received the CCT kits about a week earlier.  I already told them a while ago I installed a manual tensioner so they didn't call me when it came int, but since I was turning the bike over to them, they gave me the option of getting the new automatic one installed while they had it.  I figured what the hell and gave them the go ahead as long as I get the APE back in one piece.

Guest martiink
Hi from Europe. Ugly rattling from the right side of engine occured during my last ride. And persisted after starting the bike a day later... After searching I found this thread. The problem was that my local Yamaha dealer is horible and I would not risk to let him fiddle with my precious (bike). Moreover I´m sure he would try to persuade me it was normal noise. I ordered repairing tensioner kit, was very cheap (about 60$). Installed it 2 days ago (ca 1hour of work) and the sound is now perfect without any rattling...
Thanks to all who shared the problem and solution, it helped me a lot.
Martin, Czech Republic (best beer, nice girls, Jaromir Jagr...)

Hi from Europe. Ugly rattling from the right side of engine occured during my last ride. And persisted after starting the bike a day later... After searching I found this thread. The problem was that my local Yamaha dealer is horible and I would not risk to let him fiddle with my precious (bike). Moreover I´m sure he would try to persuade me it was normal noise. I ordered repairing tensioner kit, was very cheap (about 60$). Installed it 2 days ago (ca 1hour of work) and the sound is now perfect without any rattling... Thanks to all who shared the problem and solution, it helped me a lot.
What is the "repairing tensioner kit"? Do you have a link? Just curious.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Well, dealer called the other day to tell me my tensioner was in. Problem is, I bought a PSR tensioner and put it in. This did absolutely nothing. You can turn the tensioner all the way in with no resistance, and the chain still sounds like a can of rocks. I think the bad OEM tensioner has ruined the guides/sliders. I just hope, if that's the case, that they don't try to say the MCCT caused the failure, since I've let the bike run a total of ten seconds with the MCCT in. I do still have the YES warranty on mine and I'll be pretty upset if they try to make me eat the cost of the timing chain (I used to run a powersports service department and I know how much of a pain in the ass these companies can be).
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Guest martiink
Hi from Europe. Ugly rattling from the right side of engine occured during my last ride. And persisted after starting the bike a day later... After searching I found this thread. The problem was that my local Yamaha dealer is horible and I would not risk to let him fiddle with my precious (bike). Moreover I´m sure he would try to persuade me it was normal noise. I ordered repairing tensioner kit, was very cheap (about 60$). Installed it 2 days ago (ca 1hour of work) and the sound is now perfect without any rattling... Thanks to all who shared the problem and solution, it helped me a lot.
It is mentioned in scanned document in very begining of this thread - tensioner kit 1: 90891-10272. Here in Czech republic it costs 1464 CZK, which is 58 USDIt consists of several parts including modified "tensioner assy 1RC-12210-09" which costs 3614 CZK (143 USD) if you order as a separate part... It is odd yet true  

It is mentioned in scanned document in very begining of this thread - tensioner kit 1: 90891-10272. Here in Czech republic it costs 1464 CZK, which is 58 USDIt consists of several parts including modified "tensioner assy 1RC-12210-09" which costs 3614 CZK (143 USD) if you order as a separate part... It is odd yet true 
Got ya.. I thought it may have been something different.

My dealer called this morning to tell me that the kit had come in. So it took them a month and a half to get the part. Taking the bike up there next week to get the new tensioner installed.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Guest martiink
Piotrek: all parts in your picture are included. Not less, not more:
TENSIONER ASSY 1RC-12210-09 (15 in your picture, includes bolt 16 and washer 17)
RING 1RC-14633-09
COLLAR 1RC-11478-09
GASKET 90430-006166
BOLT 1RC-12157-09

There is only single part that must be ordered separately - tensioner gasket 1RC-12213-00-00

The kit 1 is for my VIN code, kit 2 is slightly different...

Duhs10: My kit arrived in 3 days after ordering...

Piotrek: all parts in your picture are included. Not less, not more: TENSIONER ASSY 1RC-12210-09 (15 in your picture, includes bolt 16 and washer 17)
RING 1RC-14633-09
COLLAR 1RC-11478-09
GASKET 90430-006166
BOLT 1RC-12157-09

There is only single part that must be ordered separately - tensioner gasket 1RC-12213-00-00

The kit 1 is for my VIN code, kit 2 is slightly different...

Duhs10: My kit arrived in 3 days after ordering...
Nice! Mine was replaced today. Have't had a chance to ride it. Definitely a bright red mark on the new tensioner... 
I hate not working on the bike myself... I hope everything was put in correctly, seems like an easy job and the tech that worked on my bike has a FZ-09 and replaced his tensioner so I felt like that was a good sign.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

So I had a chance to run the bike a little bit today... all I can say is wow. I didn't realize how noisy the old tensioner was. There were times when I could hear it "clacking" which was obvious but I didn't realize how much chatter was going on all the time... I guess I thought it was the clutch making the noise, but now that I have to new tensioner installed it is noticeably much more quiet. Glad I went ahead and got that replaced...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Dropped my bike off at the dealer to replace a leaky fork seal just before Thanksgiving, only to find out a couple weeks later they had decided to do the CCT replacement while it was there. They referred to it as a "recall".
Funny, because I never got a notice like I did with the shift cam recall. The ETA for the revised CCT kits keeps getting bumped, now looking at beginning of Feb. >:(  Best time of the year to ride here in FL and I'm grounded. Wishing I had gone the APE route when I was considering it awhile back. Sigh.

Dropped my bike off at the dealer to replace a leaky fork seal just before Thanksgiving, only to find out a couple weeks later they had decided to do the CCT replacement while it was there. They referred to it as a "recall". Funny, because I never got a notice like I did with the shift cam recall. The ETA for the revised CCT kits keeps getting bumped, now looking at beginning of Feb. >:(  Best time of the year to ride here in FL and I'm grounded. Wishing I had gone the APE route when I was considering it awhile back. Sigh.

That sucks... my dealer let me keep the bike until the new CCT came in.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Dropped my bike off at the dealer to replace a leaky fork seal just before Thanksgiving, only to find out a couple weeks later they had decided to do the CCT replacement while it was there. They referred to it as a "recall". Funny, because I never got a notice like I did with the shift cam recall. The ETA for the revised CCT kits keeps getting bumped, now looking at beginning of Feb. >:(  Best time of the year to ride here in FL and I'm grounded. Wishing I had gone the APE route when I was considering it awhile back. Sigh.
Yeah, not a recall. Go get the bike, ride it home and install the APE. Your bike, your terms...bug off (st)ealer.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000