{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

Dropped my bike off at the dealer to replace a leaky fork seal just before Thanksgiving, only to find out a couple weeks later they had decided to do the CCT replacement while it was there. They referred to it as a "recall". Funny, because I never got a notice like I did with the shift cam recall. The ETA for the revised CCT kits keeps getting bumped, now looking at beginning of Feb. >:(  Best time of the year to ride here in FL and I'm grounded. Wishing I had gone the APE route when I was considering it awhile back. Sigh.
Go get your FJ back & have them call you when the updated CCT kit comes in. Had Mary's done in July and it's perfect, no noise at all. Your bike isn't going to blow up riding it 'til the kit comes in. Leaving it there makes no sense. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Dropped my bike off at the dealer to replace a leaky fork seal just before Thanksgiving, only to find out a couple weeks later they had decided to do the CCT replacement while it was there. They referred to it as a "recall". Funny, because I never got a notice like I did with the shift cam recall. The ETA for the revised CCT kits keeps getting bumped, now looking at beginning of Feb. >:(  Best time of the year to ride here in FL and I'm grounded. Wishing I had gone the APE route when I was considering it awhile back. Sigh.
Yeah, not a recall. Go get the bike, ride it home and install the APE. Your bike, your terms...bug off (st)ealer.
Thanks for the advice, Clint (and Bruce). Thinking I might just go ahead and order that APE unit. "Set it and forget it", as they say.

• 2 weeks later...
Was there ever a formal recall on this or VIN numbers identified or is this still one of those "address it when they complain" deals? (Sorry, I couldn't read through over 17 pages of content but I did check the first and last few pgs) There's a used '15 for sale that I may inquire about and it would be helpful to know if this impacts that bike.

Was there ever a formal recall on this or VIN numbers identified or is this still one of those "address it when they complain" deals? (Sorry, I couldn't read through over 17 pages of content but I did check the first and last few pgs) There's a used '15 for sale that I may inquire about and it would be helpful to know if this impacts that bike.
It's not a recall.. it's a TSB (technical service bulletin).

There is a range of VINs affected. They are listed in the 1st post of this thread.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Ah, my apologies...I didn't check the actual images! Thank you.
No worries...

The TSB says that they will only replace the units that exhibit the noise. However, most dealers will replace it if you mention it to them. I would ask them to replace it prior to purchasing the bike because it's basically free to the dealer.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Appreciate all the good information in this thread. Just purchased a 2015 FJ-09 last month with less than 3000 miles. Could hear a noise and after reading this thread, helped me understand what the noise is.

Clint, Just ordered an APE tensioner this morning.
Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
The dealer listened to my FJ 09 in like November and the new tensioner arrived last week.  I thought my old tensioner just acted up from time to time.  In reality the old tensioner was noisy and just got more noisy from time to time.  The new unit is super quiet.

Has anyone found a reliable source of the APE tensioner in the UK? Not sure I want to get something so important off ebay, unless there are no known cheap copies knocking around. Mine is noisy all the time now so needs replacing.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Stainless hardware would be nice.
Use the factory bolts if you replace the CCT. They are better looking and don't rust as easy.
The only fix I'd be willing to try on the APE unit is to nickle plate the adjusting bolt/rod/foot. Or just replace it with a correct threaded stainless unit and lock nut.

I suppose you could try and coat it with paint, but they are all just band aids over using the correct anti corrosive metals/materials.

• 1 month later...
My 2015 FJ09 which is in the service bulletin range has never made any unusual sounds, but after reading this and other threads, I figured I would call my dealer and feel him out. He looked up my vin and said he would order it. He got it in about a week and I went in Saturday morning and in about 20 minutes I was back on the road. I can't tell any difference in the sound, but at least its done.