{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I took my FJ to the dealer today to confirm it's cam chain noise, and it was making more noise than the last time I rode it. Dealer was aware of the issue and helpful, but I decided to go with the APE cct and ordered one. I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks, and want to be sure it's ready. Also want a permanent fix.

I'm assuming installing a APE tensioner would void my warranty?

Or does it only void the warranty if a failure is caused by the APE tensione itself?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Or does it only void the warranty if a failure is caused by the APE tensione itself?

To the extent my title of "Guy On The Internet" allows me to say, I understand it as only if they can prove the APE caused the issue can they use that as a reason to deny a warranty claim.

To the extent my title of "Guy On The Internet" allows me to say, I understand it as only if they can prove the APE caused the issue can they use that as a reason to deny a warranty claim.

That's what I was thinking.. I might forego the "recall", order an APE unit, and install it myself. Just depends on how quickly I can get it in for servicing at my dealer.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
So, I took my FJ to the dealer today to confirm it's cam chain noise, and it was making more noise than the last time I rode it. Dealer was aware of the issue and helpful, but I decided to go with the APE cct and ordered one. I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks, and want to be sure it's ready. Also want a permanent fix.
You'll be thrilled with your decision. Such a simple device. Set it and forget it. Pre-lube the shaft on the APE CCT with drop of oil before install, then go finger tight. Back off 1/4 turn from there and button it up! 
Let me know if you need more info on the install as I read all 20 pages on the other site and separated the wheat from the chaff.

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Mine's on Order. No noise or indication but my Vin's on the list so I'll be proactive. Since my bike will be at the dealer anyway I ordered heated grips and the DC outlet.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

can i get an assist in interpreting the VIN ranges? It looks to me like the VIN ranges have 7 numbers and mine appears to only have six???? Drop off the first zero? somewhat confusing.
Yes, drop the first zero.

RN37E - JYARN37E are 49 state bikes, RN37Y are California bikes.  Focus on the last bit of numbers to see if you are affected.

That extra 0 is from the "Primary ID" of the bike that Yamaha also uses, similar to the VIN but a little different.

• Premium Member
I read on the Adventure Rider forum that this issue from Yamaha is not being called a "Recall" but a, "SERVICE PER BULLETIN".
Seems like Semantics to me but I guess it's legal mumbo jumbo....
I'm just glad that Yamaha is addressing this and seems like a good approach to the matter.
IMHO all bikes have bugs. It's part of motorcycle ownership. I've always tinkered with motorcycles. As my daughter once said to me when she walked into the garage while I was messin' with my motorcycles, "Dad! Your drilling another hole in that motorcycle again!" ;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

@stevesweetz Now my mechanic is saying that it's not a recall just a TSB. Guess your mechanic was right the first time.

I swear that repair order sheet he showed me said recall on it though.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@stevesweetz Now my mechanic is saying that it's not a recall just a TSB. Guess your mechanic was right the first time. 

I swear that repair order sheet he showed me said recall on it though.
LOL, while my mechanic changed his tune in exactly the opposite way! 
I think it's basically a "non-mandatory recall".  Thus far it doesn't seem like Yamaha is going to send out a notice to all potentially affected owners, but I think the fact that they're still covering the repair cost for bikes that are no longer under warranty makes it recall.  It also sounds like they're asking dealers to proactively do this change for any new bikes they currently have in stock.

---

Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting these parts.  My bike is rattling so much I'm worried about and the dealer said "if you're worried about it, don't ride it" - easier said than done.  I just paid $11K for this bike, I wanna ride it dammit!  Love the bike, but really disappointed at this issue, they had 2 previous model years and apparently already went through one design revision without fixing this problem.