Summer North Carolina meet up, Aug 26-29

• Premium Member
Where: Maggie Valley, NC

When: Friday dinner Aug 26, Frankie's Trattoria, 6 pm. Currently have a reservation for 6 but I'll update that when the date gets closer.

Lodging: many options in Maggie Valley. I'm staying at the Travelowe's motel.

Riding: many options. I'll propose routes a little later. If anyone has routes, I'll last them here, and we'll figure out how to share GPX files.

Ideas:
Friday - it will take me most of the day to get to Maggie Valley
Saturday - TN-32, Hot Springs, Roan Mountain, Little Switzerland
Sunday - Pisgah, Caesar's Head, Highlands, part of the Moonshiner 28
Monday - hit the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway on the way home

Really want to hit the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley one day.

Who: me, britelitebob, duhs10 for at least part of the ride

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its looking like the 27th will be the day I get to participate. I'm attempting to get more time off so that I can be up there the 27th and 28th. More than likely have to ride or trailer my bike up on the 27th. What time would you think the riding would start? May effect how I go about meeting up with everyone.

Also, out of curiosity... where is everyone coming from? I will be coming from Fayetteville, GA about 30 miles south of Atlanta.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Usually roll out around 8. Can go earlier so long as I can get breakfast first.

Javashot and I are coming from near Memphis. Britelitebob from south Florida. Asa is from Charlotte.

• Premium Member
I'll be riding up from Dade City, it's about 600 miles to Maggie Valley from my place. I do back roads, usually 129 or 441 up through Athens and Clayton Ga but I will be glad to meet up with anyone if we can make it work. I'm also planning to stay for at least 5 days of riding so I may head up earlier or stay longer after you guys split.

I reserved a camping cabin at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp for the weekend, its only 20 miles or so from that motel you guys are staying at in Maggie.

BLB

• Premium Member
Here is another option in Waynesville. Nice place, nice people. The XR1200 owners group stays there in May.
http://www.oakparkinn-waynesville.com/

Try The Tipping Point Tavern
http://tippingpointtavern.com/

And Bogarts
http://www.bogartswaynesville.com/
And Clyde's for breakfast
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49648-d2239503-Reviews-Clyde_s_Restaurant-Waynesville_North_Carolina.html

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I'll look into those restaurants for lunch or dinner stops. Thanks.

What are people's opinions on dirt or gravel roads? ASSUMING NO RECENT RAIN, if we had to ride a mile or two on a gravel or dirt road to connect twisty roads, is that ok? Specifically I'm looking at where TN-32 crosses into NC. The Google map car drove it (but overexposed the pictures, so it's hard to see the road quality). Sport touring bikes ride it but describe it as "not for the faint of heart". We have road bikes, so if anyone has a problem with it, we can always do the TN section out and back (which is good) and may have to anyway if it is raining and the road muddy.

Let me know on this thread or by PM if you want no gravel or dirt. I prefer no dirt, but I'll cross it if I have to.

Ive been down dirt roads before, but don't have any crash bars on the FJ so generally avoid them.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
What are people's opinions on dirt or gravel roads? ASSUMING NO RECENT RAIN, if we had to ride a mile or two on a gravel or dirt road to connect twisty roads, is that ok? Specifically I'm looking at where TN-32 crosses into NC. The Google map car drove it (but overexposed the pictures, so it's hard to see the road quality). Sport touring bikes ride it but describe it as "not for the faint of heart". We have road bikes, so if anyone has a problem with it, we can always do the TN section out and back (which is good) and may have to anyway if it is raining and the road muddy.

Hey guys, 
That dirt section up to hwy 32 is pretty good although some may find the loose gravel on the switchbacks challenging on street rubber. Making your way up there from Maggie Valley is the risky part though,  I-40 up through the Pigeon River Gorge with all the insane semi drivers is treacherous.  
There's no shoulder on the inside lane, and when traffic stops due to wrecks there's no way out, and there's lots of wrecks.
We usually get up there through Hot Springs but that's a long haul.
BLB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hey guys, 
That dirt section up to hwy 32 is pretty good although some may find the loose gravel on the switchbacks challenging on street rubber. Making your way up there from Maggie Valley is the risky part though,  I-40 up through the Pigeon River Gorge with all the insane semi drivers is treacherous.   There's no shoulder on the inside lane, and when traffic stops due to wrecks there's no way out, and there's lots of wrecks.We usually get up there through Hot Springs but that's a long haul.

So maybe just out and back? Maybe we ride out to Little Switzerland first then loop back to 32? We either ride back to Maggie Valley by I-40 or through the Smoky Mountains park.

We can take a poll in the morning about riding through 32 or starting at the end. At least the dirt road eliminates 1/2 the drive on I-40.

• Premium Member
Hey guys, 
That dirt section up to hwy 32 is pretty good although some may find the loose gravel on the switchbacks challenging on street rubber. Making your way up there from Maggie Valley is the risky part though,  I-40 up through the Pigeon River Gorge with all the insane semi drivers is treacherous.   There's no shoulder on the inside lane, and when traffic stops due to wrecks there's no way out, and there's lots of wrecks.We usually get up there through Hot Springs but that's a long haul.
So maybe just out and back? Maybe we ride out to Little Switzerland first then loop back to 32? We either ride back to Maggie Valley by I-40 or through the Smoky Mountains park. 
We can take a poll in the morning about riding through 32 or starting at the end. At least the dirt road eliminates 1/2 the drive on I-40.
Well however we do it is ok with me but that's gonna be a long day so I hope everyone has upgraded their seats.
BLB

• Premium Member
One of my good employees is scheduled for surgery in two weeks, with recovery/rehab expected to last six to eight weeks. Don't really want to hire & train anyone short term so looks like I'll have no free time for the trip as I'll be covering for her during that time.  Sorry guys :-[

Love to go in the fall if anyone has plans...

Does anyone care if I invite my friend (rides a Triumph Street Twin), Dad (Vulcan 1600), and Neighbor (Kawasaki Concourse)? If we want to keep it just FJ's I'm cool with that too.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
One of my good employees is scheduled for surgery in two weeks, with recovery/rehab expected to last six to eight weeks. Don't really want to hire & train anyone short term so looks like I'll have no free time for the trip as I'll be covering for her during that time.  Sorry guys :-[  

Love to go in the fall if anyone has plans...

Sorry to here you won't make this one but I'll be up in the fall,
no dates yet but I'm open to suggestions. 

BLB

• Premium Member
Does anyone care if I invite my friend (rides a Triumph Street Twin), Dad (Vulcan 1600), and Neighbor (Kawasaki Concourse)? If we want to keep it just FJ's I'm cool with that too

Fine by me, I have a friend who's just north of Atlanta that may come up for a couple days.
Where are you guys staying?
BLB

Archived