Summer North Carolina meet up, Aug 26-29

I don't know yet. Just starting to look into it. Originally I was only going to be up there for a day, but I have more time off of work now, so I'm looking into getting a hotel room.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I don't know yet. Just starting to look into it. Originally I was only going to be up there for a day, but I have more time off of work now, so I'm looking into getting a hotel room.
I'm staying at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp, it's just south of Waynesville on 276 in Cruso. The owners are cool and they have a bunch of small 2 man cabins at $45 a night or you can tent camp. Nice set up and they do a good breakfast there on the weekends, campfire at night and we always meet some interesting characters passing through there. 
BLB

• Premium Member
This is not a model-specific ride. More the merrier. We'll try to post tentative routes in GPX format in August so everyone has them.

I would like to get a head count for Friday dinner about a week ahead of time.

From this forum it looks like Bob has more miles in the Smokies than me. I've only been through twice on a motorcycle (and on the way to somewhere else). He can probably provide us good routes.

I'm staying at the Travelowe's motel in Maggie Valley. That campground looks nice, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I've laid out some route and have them in GPX format. PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send them to you. My route is a starting point - interested to see other people's ideas, too. I relied on this website plus personal knowledge: http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfAppalachians/BestRoads/Best%20Roads.htm

My routes tend to be optimistic, but there are usually shortcuts on straighter roads if we're running short on time.
Saturday - 428 miles
South on 276 from Waynesville to the BRP. Exit BRP on 151 into Asheville. BRP south on 80 over to Little Switzerland (226-Alt) then north on 80 (making a loop). I've heard so many great things about Little Switzerland, I want to see this.

North on 80 to Bakersville then north on 261 to 143 to Roan Mountain. West on 19E then south on 107 to 226 to Red Hill. West on 19W back to a very straight section of 19E. There are shortcuts on this route if we're running short on time.

Cross I-26 and head west on NC-1381. This is recommended in the site above and Google Maps satellite view shows it paved. Head to Hot Springs.

South on 209 to I-40. Can't figure out any way around this part of I-40, so north on I-40 for about 15-20 minutes. Then ride TN-32. Again, a second road I really want to see.

From here, we can either ride through Smoky Mountain National Park or ride on I-40 back to the Maggie Valley area. I'd like to avoid I-40 *BUT* I'm worried about deer and traffic in the Park.  This will be an all day ride and expect to be back to your campsite or motel after dark.  There ARE shortcuts we can consider along the way to save time.

• Premium Member
Sunday - 342 miles. Going a little short to maybe have a chance to see Wheels Through Time (but that's optimistic). There are PLENTY of shortcuts on this route, too. The route cuts back and forth along the NC/SC and NC/GA state lines. PM me your e-mail, and I'll send you the GPX file.

Warm up on the BRP for 30 - 45 minutes. Take 276 south to Ecusta then continue south to Caesar's Head Park and cross into SC. Head west on 11.

Head north on 178 almost back to the BRP then west on NC-1756 (paved per Google Map Satellite View). South on 281 back across the SC line. Head west on 11 again.

Head north on Highlands Hwy and cross into GA briefly. At Pine Mountain, take a 15 mile round trip out and back on Warwoman road. Cross back into NC and take 28 to Highlands. NOTE: there can be heavy enforcement around Highlands and lots of looky loo traffic.

64 toward Franklin and take Wayah Road west then north. From there take 74 back to Maggie Valley.

This route hits Ceasar's Head "backwards" - you go downhill on tight, twisty roads. I could be easily convinced to reverse the route. Warwoman and Ceasar's Head are both fun. I've never done Wayah Road.

There are also lots of good roads between Balsam Grove and Franklin if we want to cut out the GA roads, go shorter, and definitely have time for Wheels Through Time.

I'm going to hit the Dragon Monday morning on my way back west.

Sunday - 342 miles. Going a little short to maybe have a chance to see Wheels Through Time (but that's optimistic). There are PLENTY of shortcuts on this route, too. The route cuts back and forth along the NC/SC and NC/GA state lines. PM me your e-mail, and I'll send you the GPX file. 
Just some suggestions FWIW: 342 miles of aggressive twisties is pretty optimistic, especially for a group ride with riders who may not be accustomed to riding twisties all day. That will be a looooong day.

Warm up on the BRP for 30 - 45 minutes. Take 276 south to Ecusta then continue south to Caesar's Head Park and cross into SC. Head west on 11.

Taking the BRP @ Soco Gap is a lot of extra miles and time. To conserve both, head out of Waynesville on 276. Just prior to the intersection of 280/64/276, Looking Glass Falls will be on the left; a big waterfall right next to the road. When you get to Brevard area, you'll run into slow tourista traffic all the way to 11. Also, the road surface is getting pretty bad on the section from Ceasars Head to 11. Did I mention slow tourista traffic? Fortunately, by late August the kiddies will be back in school, so family vacation traffic will be less, but you should expect it to be slow, to hit/miss on that section.

Head north on 178 almost back to the BRP then west on NC-1756 (paved per Google Map Satellite View). South on 281 back across the SC line. Head west on 11 again.

Great road, little to no traffic until you get near Rosman. When you get to US64 you'll go west a few tenths then north on 215, which has little to zero traffic. NC-1756 will be marked as Charley's Creek Rd. The first couple tenths is sketchy, but after that it's bitchin'. You'll go for miles never leaving 2nd gear, alternating between lugging the motor, to screaming the motor, but you'll rarely need to shift. Some of the curves are VERY tight. Don't underestimate them.

Head north on Highlands Hwy and cross into GA briefly. At Pine Mountain, take a 15 mile round trip out and back on Warwoman road. Cross back into NC and take 28 to Highlands. NOTE: there can be heavy enforcement around Highlands and lots of looky loo traffic.

Highlands Hwy/28 is a blast south of Highlands. When you get on Warwoman, only go until the road straightens out, then turn around and go back to 28 continuing north. The 'western' end of Warwoman is fairly straight/high speed stuff. It's way more fun on the 'eastern' end.

64 toward Franklin and take Wayah Road west then north. From there take 74 back to Maggie Valley.

This route hits Ceasar's Head "backwards" - you go downhill on tight, twisty roads. I could be easily convinced to reverse the route. Warwoman and Ceasar's Head are both fun. I've never done Wayah Road.

It's been many years since I've been on Wayah Rd, so I can't comment on it's current condition. IF you decide to cut some miles, once you get north of Franklin, traffic thins out and 28 up to 19/74 is a blast. There is rarely any traffic, with many passing opportunities if you need them.

There are also lots of good roads between Balsam Grove and Franklin if we want to cut out the GA roads, go shorter, and definitely have time for Wheels Through Time.

Don't forget, whenever you get near any town such as Waynesville, Brevard, Highlands, Franklin, etc, traffic moves at a crawl making group progress that much slower.
The area has been plagued by thunderstorms virtually every day for weeks. That means lots of sand and stones in the center of your lane in right hand (blind) curves, and anywhere that a steep driveway has runoff. Stay low or high, but don't ride in the center.

I'm going to hit the Dragon Monday morning on my way back west.

Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at your route suggestions in detail tomorrow when I get off work.

In the past I've always planned long days then cut loops if necessary. We'll be able to skip roads and still get back on route.

UPDATE:
Saturday
If we cut out TN-32, we can save 100 miles.  I'll ride it and the Dragon Monday.
Instead, if we cut out TN-209 still do TN-32 and use I-40 to get home, we can save 50 miles.

If we cut out Roan Mountain and don't go farther north than Bakersville we can save 50 miles.

So that's 2 - 3 hours of time saved if needed.

Sunday
I tweaked the route on Sunday down to 330 miles.
If we cut out Ceasar's Head and use 64, we save 40 miles.
If we choose to skip Wayah Road and do the middle part of 28 instead, that saves another 30 miles.

So that's 1 - 2 hours of time saved.

• Premium Member
Saturday route suggestion:

From looking at the miles you want to cover It appears your not interested in doing much site seeing on this trip. Thats ok with me because I already have enough pics of waterfalls and pretty colored leaves anyway.

So for the best and most fun way to get to the area you want to ride on Saturday and avoid the crap around Asheville is to head north up 209 out of Maggie through Hot Springs, then take 25 to 208 to 212/252 then 19w over to 197 and this will put you smack in the middle of the best place to get lost on a motorcycle.  From here you can do Roan Mt. and Little Switzerland and possibly get over to 181 and the roads around Linville falls. And don't tell anyone but there's roads up in these areas that will make you forget about all the roads with fancy names that are posted all over the internet. 

When we get done up here there are plenty of other good roads to get back, 197 south through Barnardsville and Jupiter to 251 along the French Broad River then out through Lechester.

Or Hortens Creek Rd through Mars Hill and Marshall and then Medows Town Rd to 63 and back to 209 are just a few that we use.

And there's the BRP but the section near Asheville is kinda lame and there will be traffic.

Anyway I know this is sloppy but I'm not a route maker, I usually know where I want to end up and just go the most fun way I can find to get there. Sometimes I don't even no where I want to end up, but I still have as much fun as I can getting there as well.

BLB

Some very, very good small twisty roads near Little Switzerland:

226A, Double Island, Blue Rock, Halls Chapel, 7 Mile Ridge, Gouges Creek - Hanging Rock.

Most of the numbered roads in western NC are good, but there many very good named roads!
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Saturday route suggestion: 

...So for the best and most fun way to get to the area you want to ride on Saturday and avoid the crap around Asheville is to head north up 209 out of Maggie through Hot Springs, then take 25 to 208 to 212/252 then 19w over to 197 and this will put you smack in the middle of the best place to get lost on a motorcycle.  From here you can do Roan Mt. and Little Switzerland and possibly get over to 181 and the roads around Linville falls. And don't tell anyone but there's roads up in these areas that will make you forget about all the roads with fancy names that are posted all over the internet. 
When we get done up here there are plenty of other good roads to get back, 197 south through Barnardsville and Jupiter to 251 along the French Broad River then out through Lechester.

Or Hortens Creek Rd through Mars Hill and Marshall and then Medows Town Rd to 63 and back to 209 are just a few that we use.

It looks like your loop would be clockwise.  My loop was similar but CCW.  We hit Little Switzerland then Roan Mountain then Hot Springs.  I've got similar roads.

Waynesville --> 276 to BRP for 5 miles to 151 into Asheville.  We'll hit some traffic coming into Asheville, but Garmin actually routed us on I-40/240 to avoid the worst traffic (10 - 15 miles on i-state).

BRP for 30 miles to 80/226-Alt for the Little Switzerland loop.  Besides the BRP and I-40, I don't see any good west-east connectors over to Little Switzerland.  For Little Switzerland, I've got 80 south 221 north 226-Alt north now to McKinney, 7 Mile, and Halls Chapel to 19E.

Cross 19E and take 80 to Bakersville to 261 to 143 to Roan Mountain. 

About 8 miles of 19E to 173 south to 107/261.  It looks like there is an interesting section right at the state line.  I tried to route all the way over to 197 but it added more mileage.  I have a section of 197 from Red Hill back to 19W to 19E for the straight section to keep mileage low.  Windy Gap Road/NC-1421 to Laurel Valley Road/1503 keeps the mileage down.

Instead of roads around Marshall, take a look at Big Laurel Road/NC-1318 1319 and tell me what you think.  It's more generally east-west and puts us at the top of 209 like you suggested.  209 to I-40 then up to TN-32.

Just saw 63 between Trust and Newfound off 209. DANG! If it's obvious we won't make TN-32 Saturday, your roads around Marshall and 63 would make a alternative without going so far north to get to 32.

Do let me know if you want the GPX file.

226A, Double Island, Blue Rock, Halls Chapel, 7 Mile Ridge, Gouges Creek - Hanging Rock.
226A is on the route.  Tonight, I replaced a section of the BRP with McKinney Mine, 7 Mile, and Halls Chapel.  Thanks!

• Premium Member
Saturday = 387 miles
Sunday = 338 miles

TLDR - when I lived in CA, we assumed an average speed of 50 mph. With more traffic on backroads and more houses along the routes east of the Mississippi River, I assumed 40 mph average speed on this ride and ride all day.

My longer explanation about routing distances. My experience is mostly CA (but I have ridden in 28 states) and usually with the same 2-3 guys. We did track days and touring together, probably 1-2 weeks total every year and our riding styles matched well. 450-500 mile days were routine on multi-day trips and 600 mile 1 day rides weren't unusual. In CA populations tend to be packed more in cities meaning the twisties didn't have many mailboxes or driveways. Cars driving between cities used i-state so only local traffic used back roads. For that reason assuming 50 mph average speed for a day - including gas stops and quick lunches - wasn't unreasonable.

That's not true east of the Mississippi. Homes are more distributed across areas. There are no good alternative routes to some backroads so roads like Hwy 74 and Hwy 64 that should be pleasant are clogged with traffic. So I've dropped my average speeds on routes. These routes assume an average speed of about 40 mph. At that speed, we'll be out all day, back for dusk and dinner.

Regarding sightseeing, I don't mind. The loops in my route mean we can cut off an hour here and there if we want to spend time somewhere. I like to take a few photos of the bikes with scenery behind them, but it's a jump-off-the-bike-click-click-back-on-the-throttle action. For this trip, I was just thinking of riding. If there is something really interesting to see (like Wheels Through Time), I'm happy to see it. I'm always a sucker to spend a few minutes seeing something like the World's Largest Ball of Twine. In fact, I've avoided looking for those on this trip so I don't drive the rest of y'all nuts stopping to see them. :)

I hope these routes are flexible enough to allow for a long lunch or a photo op or smelling the roses if that's what everyone wants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Oil and brake fluid changed. Tank bag back on. Chain lubed. Bike washed and ready. Mechanical and first aid kit ready. Clothes laid out. Uploading the last route to the GPS as we speak. Just need to pack the last few things and I'm ready to ride!

• Premium Member
Oil and brake fluid changed. Tank bag back on. Chain lubed. Bike washed and ready. Mechanical and first aid kit ready. Clothes laid out. Uploading the last route to the GPS as we speak. Just need to pack the last few things and I'm ready to ride!

You had me motivated until I went out to my shop and realized it was still like an oven out there so I decided to come in and just pack some clothes for now.
BLB

Archived