Hello from Montreal

rdk

Hello from Montreal.

I bought my 2016 FJ-09 last Thursday (sight unseen, everything done by phone until delivery), based in part on the feedback from a good friend of mine, Cha0s, who bought a 2015 last year.

It replaces my 2008 WR250X, and it's the 4th bike I've own since 2003 (previous bikes were a 2003 Suzuki SV650S, a 1988 Yamaha FZR400, and the aforementioned WR).

Haven't even gone through a full fuel tank yet, but I love it so far.  I might miss the one wheeling abilities and flickability of the WR, but this is such a more usable bike overall, I hope I'll be able to put a lot more miles on it.

0 km odo at delivery:

20160623_172332-1600.jpg

20160623_172314_HDR-1600.jpg

Welcome, although you will miss the WR this thing is a wheelie machine!!! I find myself constantly fighting the urge to bring it up and the hooligan always wins.
Again welcome, the advice you received was like mine and spot on.
Egg
2015 EffJay 09, 2014 F150 Raptor, 2004 WRX STI & 79 Ford Bronco

• 1 month later...
Hello rdk!

I'm from Montreal too (well, south shore) and just bought a like-new 2015 FJ-09. I'll pick it up in a few days.

If you're doing rides in Montérégie this fall and you're willing to be an accompanying rider for a new rider (I just got my license), let me know :D Thanks to our stupid laws, I need to find people to ride with AND it'd be fun to ride with other FJ-09 riders!
2015 FJ-09 Matte Grey (Sold!)

Welcome to the forum and the awesome world of riding an FJ.

Good luck finding an "accompagnateur", maybe we can arrange something sometimes (with a family, I don't get to ride as much as I would like, and when I do, I tend to ride with a small circle of friends). I know that law is annoying, but a good accompanying rider can be a good supplement to basic rider training.

Enjoy your FJ, and be careful, that's a lot of bike for a first bike.

Can you please elaborate a bit on theCanadian law that requires a motorcyclist Not ride alone? 
The LoneRanger finds this a difficult law to follow...for obvious reasons ;_)

In the province of Quebec (not anywhere else, as far as I know, but I could be wrong), since 1997, new riders like me must ride for at least 11 months under the supervision of an accompanying rider, before being allowed to pass the final road exam in order to obtain the full license. And this is after a mandatory safety course (9 hours theory in class, 16 hours on a closed track, 10 hours on the road)! 
The idea behind the law was, supposedly, to allow the new rider to get more experience while being "coached". The reality is that it doesn't work. A lot of new riders simply don't ride for a year after their obligatory safety course as not everyone have close friends or family that rides. Those who do find an accompanying rider will often ride faster and more aggressively than they would if they would be alone, so its not necessarily safer.

There was a report done in 2012 mandated by the local DMV (the SAAQ) recommending to retire this measure, and to implement new, better measures to protect new riders such as zero alcohol, no passengers, mandatory protective jacket and no night riding for the first year. They would also require a 3 year experience before being able to drive powerful supersports. These measures would be more in line with what other provinces and some US states are doing. We've been waiting since then for the bill to pass. Rumors says it will finally be presented and be voted on this fall. *Fingers crossed*

In the mean time, we need to harass friends and strangers to babysit us :(

Welcome to the forum and the awesome world of riding an FJ. 
Good luck finding an "accompagnateur", maybe we can arrange something sometimes (with a family, I don't get to ride as much as I would like, and when I do, I tend to ride with a small circle of friends). I know that law is annoying, but a good accompanying rider can be a good supplement to basic rider training.

Enjoy your FJ, and be careful, that's a lot of bike for a first bike.
I understand :)

And yes I'll be careful. I don't have a daredevil personality and don't intend on taking more risks than I need! I thought of buying a smaller bike like a CB500X but since I'm tall, a bigger bike was definitely more comfortable for longer rides.

• Premium Member
And I thought our laws were weird. Hard to imagine that requirement will make anyone safer, although it must really turn people into law breakers......

And I thought our laws were weird. Hard to imagine that requirement will make anyone safer, although it must really turn people into law breakers......
Some people do cheat by following other motorcycles and avoiding to be alone too long, but when the bike is registered to your name, the cops know right away if you have a learner's license or not as soon as they enter your plate. So its a big gamble. 
I don't recall the exact penalties but its pretty stiff if you get caught. 

I'm crossing my fingers for the law to change this fall. :)

Archived