Buying an FJ-09 feedback needed...

After a few weeks of trying, my 09' CBR1000RR finally sold last night.

So, I'm set on getting a 2015 FJ-09 in the matte gray.

A couple places near me still have a few overstock and the out the door price is about 10k for everything.

I also found a used one matte gray 2015 with about 1,500miles on it for about 8k out the door. I've decided the used one is the better deal.

Am I missing anything, or is the choice just that easy to save the 2k over new?

Honestly pretty much made my decision unless there is something major I am overlooking, mainly posting cause I'm excited to pickup an FJ!

"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

• Premium Member
I have to respectfully disagree with Joel.
Things to consider. First is a used bike will only be a year old and I would hope be in relatively new condition if taken care of. Maybe in a few extras thrown in.

Second is taxes will be more on a new bike.

Not sure where you're located but a friend in Indiana just bought a new leftover 15 for $8,500 out the door.

Good luck!
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

It's the same as any vehicle - you never know how that used one was ridden or maintained.

I mean maybe the engine is fine, but the guy burned off 75% of the clutch doing wheelies, you just never know. That said, apart from the cam chain tensioner issue, the Yamaha CP3 engine seems relatively bulletproof, so perhaps there's not too much a person can to it even if they hooned it; but I'm no expert.

Personally I wouldn't buy the used one without at least test riding it. Dealerships are usually bit more lax about letting you test ride used bikes, so I would try to do that. If it seems fine, go for it.

I have to respectfully disagree with Joel. Things to consider. First is a used bike will only be a year old and I would hope be in relatively new condition if taken care of. Maybe in a few extras thrown in.

Second is taxes will be more on a new bike.

Not sure where you're located but a friend in Indiana just bought a new leftover 15 for $8,500 out the door.

Good luck!
If the price difference was that close I wouldn't hesitate, but the local dealers have the 2015's new priced starting at $8,500, then tack on tax (7%), freight, build fee and it totals right at 10k out the door.

It's the same as any vehicle - you never know how that used one was ridden or maintained. 
I mean maybe the engine is fine, but the guy burned off 75% of the clutch doing wheelies, you just never know. That said, apart from the cam chain tensioner issue, the Yamaha CP3 engine seems relatively bulletproof, so perhaps there's not too much a person can to it even if they hooned it; but I'm no expert.

Personally I wouldn't buy the used one without at least test riding it. Dealerships are usually bit more lax about letting you test ride used bikes, so I would try to do that. If it seems fine, go for it.

Yeah, the used one I will definitely be taking for a test ride first. It will be the first time riding an FJ. I'm sure it will tell a lot. Looking at the pictures and talking to the guy, it has no blemishes, but can't confirm that until I get my eyes on it hopefully this weekend. 
Of course if something doesn't seem proper, I'll plunk down the extra 2k to get the brand new version.

On the topic of the cam chain tensioner, will any yamaha dealer do that swap out, or only for the original owner at place of purchase?

If the phony fees aren't in there already it isn't really a price :)
Yeah, that's why I'm curious how jet's friend got one out the door for what I'm seeing here as starting price. 

• Premium Member
If the phony fees aren't in there already it isn't really a price :)
Yeah, that's why I'm curious how jet's friend got one out the door for what I'm seeing here as starting price. 
I'm well familiar with the dealer and know they are a high volume dealer and it was a online Memorial day sale so I'm not surprised.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

On the topic of the cam chain tensioner, will any yamaha dealer do that swap out, or only for the original owner at place of purchase?
Any certified Yamaha shop should do it, but I've found shops are usually bit nicer to you and willing to fit you in their schedule if you bought the bike from them (whether you're the original owner is meaningless). 
Alternatively, getting a manual tensioner and replacing it yourself is an easy job.  If I had bought a used bike that had the problem, I would just do that.  I'm only giving the shop the opportunity to do the Yamaha fix since my bike is still under warranty for a while (the tensioner repair is covered by Yamaha even if your bike is out of warranty, but for now I don't want to do anything myself that would give them any opportunity to claim I voided the warranty).

• Premium Member
I got my 2015 FJ for $9700 OTD way back in May 2015. It really depends on where you live. I'm in Oregon where there's no sales tax and title+four years of registration is only $200.

Power Yamaha in Sublimity, OR is advertising 2015 FJs for $8500 right now, and they don't tack on any BS fees (freight, setup, etc). They're a high volume dealer, but I'd think you could negotiate a similar deal elsewhere.

• Premium Member
There was a thread a while back for best out the door price on new FJ-09's. New bikes were running around $9500, so I'm thinking 10K for a used 1500 mile fj-09 isn't a great deal. Not that it's bad, but I would look at other dealers and see if you can find a 2015 under 10K new.

and if there aren't any dealers close to you that are giving good deals, just pick this used one up.

There was a thread a while back for best out the door price on new FJ-09's. New bikes were running around $9500, so I'm thinking 10K for a used 1500 mile fj-09 isn't a great deal. Not that it's bad, but I would look at other dealers and see if you can find a 2015 under 10K new. 
and if there aren't any dealers close to you that are giving good deals, just pick this used one up.
No no, the used one is 8k, the new ones though are 10k out the door.

Archived