Buying an FJ-09 feedback needed...

Guest bruinfj09guy
I've seen as low as 9k otd including tax here in CA where tax hedges around 9%. I'd call around and solicit better deals from multiple deslerships.

Having said that, I'm on my second shiny new Yamaha, after trading in the FJ09 on my FJR. Newness wears off quick. I'd consider saving the couple thousand but that's just me. Either way is appealing really. If the bike seems well kept and shows no signs of abuse then a few thousand miles is really barely broken in.

Good luck!

I've seen as low as 9k otd including tax here in CA where tax hedges around 9%. I'd call around and solicit better deals from multiple deslerships.  
Having said that, I'm on my second shiny new Yamaha, after trading in the FJ09 on my FJR. Newness wears off quick. I'd consider saving the couple thousand but that's just me. Either way is appealing really. If the bike seems well kept and shows no signs of abuse then a few thousand miles is really barely broken in.

Good luck!
Why'd you move up to the FJR? Do you miss the FJ-09 or fully happy on the FJR? 

"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

Guest bruinfj09guy

Good luck!
Why'd you move up to the FJR? Do you miss the FJ-09 or fully happy on the FJR? 

It's a long story, but I'll break it down for you and other readers.

"Why'd you move up"? -- I nearly bought a new '14 FJR before learning of the FJ-09. After riding the FJ-09 I was hooked on that torquey triple and bought for hoolaginism and general fun. There were several minor gripes with the FJ-09 (the usual suspects in this forum) that wore on me over the 9500 miles I rode it, and I increasingly second guessed my decision. My riding style had also changed from weekend fun to more general commuting (in addition to weekend fun in the twisties), and the lack of polish on the triple (vibration, grunt, etc) became increasingly annoying. I bought a used FJR (2008, pictured in my avatar) to determine which bike I liked better. It was a tough call; I loved both bikes but for different reasons.  I eventually sold the FJR as I didn't feel flush with cash enough to justify having the 2008 sitting paid for while I was making payments on the FJ-09. As I watched and admired as the FJR rode away with its new owner I felt an instant sense of loss.

I was able to find a very good price on a leftover '15 brand new FJR after a bit of obsessive searching. I was also able to secure a better finance rate. I got the FJR considerably below retail; I paid near retail for the FJ-09 and have watched more and more FJ-09s pop up for sale at low prices. I expected that the resale/trade in value on my FJ-09 was probably optimal at the time I traded it in, as the model is still new and there aren't a ton for sale used. I also expected more would show up for sale with the release of the FZ-10 in the U.S. (which hadn't been announced, but I fully expected despite the narrative from many dealers that it wouldn't happen as it's not right for the U.S. market bla bla bla). The determination to trade was in part economic, as I figured it was the best time to get out of the FJ-09 and a good time to maximize equity on the FJR due to the low price and the better rate. I was upside down on the FJ-09 by a few thousand bucks after a year of making payments. I bought my FJR with zero miles for probably around the value of a used one with a year's worth of miles.

The decision primarily rested on the determination that the FJR was a better all-arounder for me and that I would be happier having just that bike. I truly loved the 2008 FJR and it was a very good machine. I also determined that if I were to have two bikes I'd rather have a new FJR and an older used FZ1 or some such thing for ripping.

"Do you miss the FJ-09"? -- The short answer is no. The engine was fun, and the TCS was useful given the torque of the triple and my tendency to hammer on the throttle from stops. I miss the torque of the triple and the fact that it is more light and nimble than the FJR. It was also a fairly comfortable ride with the higher seating position and the upright riding style. I could never get the aerodynamics situated to comfort and I don't care for the look of the screen/lip combos that others say adequately reduce buffeting etc. I liked the look of the bike with the handguards, but the width isn't conducive to splitting. Making the FJ-09 ideal for my purposes sufficiently reduced the "FJ-09-ness" to the point where the bike lost its appeal to me.

Having said all that, I do miss the high torque off the line power of that engine. A used, low-priced, well maintained FZ-09 might be in my future. Who knows?

"Fully happy on the FJR"? -- Yes and no. The FJR with D-mode, especially, has the potential to really rip. "S" mode has tons of power and a lot of snap. In either mode (or without modes) the bike can cruise effortlessly in triple digits (on a track, of course, on a track) like a fighter jet. It is truly a refined engine with tons of smooth power and its durability has stood the test of time and millions of cross country miles. The only drawback (if you can call it that), as earlier mentioned, is that it doesn't have quite the off the line "snap" that the FJ-09 has. Also, I split in LA traffic daily and the bike does feel a bit heavier (it is, after all, almost 200 lbs heavier). The weight doesn't bother me but it is slightly less nimble and a little heavier on the brake. I think I still prefer it for splitting in stop and go and I definitely prefer it commuting just about any other time.

The bikes are a little different out in the twisties. The FJ-09 is fun and the snappy throttle is nice exiting a corner. The FJR doesn't really lack, though, and it still screams and pulls through and out of a corner just fine. I'm probably interested in making some longer "sport touring" runs in the coming years, and I determined the FJR is my preferred bike for that purpose. So, I guess the answer is mostly "yes," with some qualification. In any case, I wouldn't trade back. Sometimes I wish I didn't make the deal, as I forked out a considerable sum of cash for my payoff, which I didn't want to roll into my new loan (I don't like being upside down on vehicles!). But, there is no question that the bike parked outside my place is the one I most want to be there.

[if anyone is interested, the black beauty in my avatar is for sale again, as the fellow I sold it to moved back to a BMW. I can give some history on it, if anyone likes. It is now on its third owner, but the original owner had it from date of purchase until three months ago. I'm convinced there is no better FJR available for the asking price of $5600, despite its 55000 well-maintained miles.]

Really appreciate the detailed response. I can see wanting an FJR in the future, my purpose for getting the fj-09 is a replacement for my sport bike that I can comfortably ride with my wife both cruising and corner carving. Maybe some couple hour away weekend trips.

I'm surprised to hear you say the FRJ is better for splitting and not much if any better for corner carving.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Really appreciate the detailed response. I can see wanting an FJR in the future, my purpose for getting the fj-09 is a replacement for my sport bike that I can comfortably ride with my wife both cruising and corner carving. Maybe some couple hour away weekend trips.  
I'm surprised to hear you say the FRJ is better for splitting and not much if any better for corner carving.
Well, there maybe is a bit of confirmation bias going on. The bike I like is the bike I like.  
The FJ-09 IS good for splitting. The engine/exhaust is a bit noisier which is useful and sitting higher up can have advantages. It took some getting used to splitting on the FJR and was a little uncomfortable and unnerving at first, due to the weight etc. I just prefer being on the FJR, and I definitely like it better at all times other than really low speed tight space splitting.

I'd say the FJR also took a bit of getting used to in the corners, but not much and I don't think I was much, if any, faster on the FJ-09 over the FJR. The FJR is a lot of fun in the twisties too. The weight goes away real quick at speed.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Also note that one of my primary justifications was change in purpose. If my sole purpose for the bike was Saturday morning jaunts through the twisties I probably wouldn't have switched.

Also note that one of my primary justifications was change in purpose. If my sole purpose for the bike was Saturday morning jaunts through the twisties I probably wouldn't have switched.
Understood, that's my main purpose for the bike. Weekend rides, not commuter.

Well, good news and bad news...

The bad news is the used one sold before I was able to get to it, the good news is I picked up a brand new one instead. 2015 Matte Gray. Rode it home the 50 or so miles from the dealer.

Excited to start the few mods I want to do to it already.

Thanks all for the replies!

I wanted Candy Red and was really reluctant to pay the price of a new 2015.  I ended up finding a Demo with 4500 miles out of state. I bought it and had it shipped to me sight unseen, besides getting pics from the dealer and asking a bunch of questions.  I took a risk, but I knew going into it that I still had the 1 year factory warranty, plus I got an additional year of the Y.E.S. From Yamaha since I did a demo ride.  I figured any mechanical issues would show up in 2 years. Also, the deal was great, about $7800 after set up and other bogus fees.  I paid taxes in my state when registered, roughy $8400 when all was said and done.  I got the bike about 3 weeks ago, it is in great condition and I love it more every time I ride it!  goodnluck with whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy either way!

Archived