Question about Shad SH36 side cases

If you have your center stand on, I doubt you'd get anywhere close to dragging a bag.  Even without it, i'm not sure how you would drag.  Although @ogri had a center stand drag and saved it in the link there (no idea how).  He got pretty far over so maybe if he had side cases on although I still doubt it as they sit up so high.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to hear from someone who has them installed because a set of SHAD cases are in my future...

In the mean time.... It does look like the cases may be the first thing to touch down (assuming the below image is to scale and my logic is sound).

http://i.imgur.com/PZG2CuZ.gif

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I would like to hear from someone who has them installed because a set of SHAD cases are in my future... 
In the mean time.... It does look like the cases may be the first thing to touch down (assuming the below image is to scale and my logic is sound).

I think your logic is sound, but the problem is the the angle that we are viewing it from. The photo is taken at dead center at the rear of the bike so were actually actually looking down through your red line from the center rear of the bike towards a point out to the left of the footpeg. For this calculation to work you would need to kneel down and look along the same plane as the footpeg but that's a photo so no can do. Also I do have a set of these bags and they haven't hit the road yet but now you've got me wondering
BLB

I think your logic is sound, but the problem is the the angle that we are viewing it from. The photo is taken at dead center at the rear of the bike so were actually actually looking down through your red line from the center rear of the bike towards a point out to the left of the footpeg. For this calculation to work you would need to kneel down and look along the same plane as the footpeg but that's a photo so no can do. Also I do have a set of these bags and they haven't hit the road yet but now you've got me wondering

I think I get what you are saying.. due to the perspective of the picture... the footpegs being further away would appear closer together than the may be in actuality.

So since you said you have a set of these cases.. i think you should go check it out and report your findings! I am very interested in a definitive conclusion.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have the SH36 cases as well. Have you ever had one drag in a corner, or heard of it happening? I normally take them off when I know I'll be riding it like a sport bike, but I'm riding it down to the Tail of the Dragon in September, and I'll be leaving them on.  I'm wondering just how far I can lean with them on.
  I don't think you'd come anywhere close to dragging the bags.

I suspect there is also no suspension compression in this illustration, but there will be in actual operation.  This changes the angular relationships considerably. 

I suspect there is also no suspension compression in this illustration, but there will be in actual operation.  This changes the angular relationships considerably.
Very true... I'm sure that if these things were dragging in corners somebody would have mentioned it in a review somewhere.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Thank you for that picture. It really puts it in perspective. I drag my boots sometimes, but never the pegs, and I have longer pegs than stock. Doesn't look like I need to worry about losing a case (or crashing from dragging one.)

So I am in the market for a nice set of side cases, and I have been looking at both the Shad SH36 and the Givi V35. I am leaning towards the Shad, but have a question. I have seen on different websites brackets with specific adapters for different brands (example: SW-Motech Quick-lock EVO side case racks for $325). I then went on the Shad website, and was looking at the cases and under the selection for color and gives the price $4969, it asks for bike model, and when you select FJ-09 it says add $175.
Does that mean that it comes with brackets to fit the bike and I don't need the motech ones? Is there an advantage to the motech ones that would be worth the extra money (I cant really think of one). 

I know that there are threads on here for similar questions, and I apologize if the question has already been answered, and I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!
Scott

I got the cases + the rack back in spring from a store who also sells on ebay, the guy is located in france but the total was cheaper than from shadusa (I live in canada so there was a big shipping charge). The total for me, for both the cases and the rack, including shipping (converted to usd) was 481$.

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/3904/question-shad-sh36-side-cases#ixzz4EwrVpby3

I scrapped the right peg with the cases on and the case did not touch the ground

I scrapped the right peg with the cases on and the case did not touch the ground
Yes! That sounds like definitive answer to me..

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Alright already, when my peg feeler touches down I will have another 3" before the bags touch. Also my peg feelers are about an inch shorter than the stock feelers, I estimated that you may have up to an inch more clearance if your still using the stock pegs. Naturally these measurements were taken on unloaded bike so your clearance will be less depending on how much junk your packin.4690417.jpg

4690424.jpg

BLB

Dude... @britelitebob you rock!! I think the clearance for the bags will increase as the clearance for the pegs decreases. So having a load on the bike will actually provide more clearance for the bags.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I just ordered a set of the Shad SH36s from my local bike store and they cautioned that the OEM rear turn signals may need to be repositioned to fit the bags.
(it was also suggested that I should let them install the mounts, in case such a problem occurred)

This sounds pretty dubious to me - it would be a rather serious glitch in the design and I've never seen anyone mention this problem on this forum or any other.

Anybody mounted these bags (and the 3P mounting system) and can speak to this?

Thanks.

Archived