Question about Shad SH36 side cases

• Premium Member
I just ordered a set of the Shad SH36s from my local bike store and they cautioned that the OEM rear turn signals may need to be repositioned to fit the bags. (it was also suggested that I should let them install the mounts, in case such a problem occurred)

This sounds pretty dubious to me - it would be a rather serious glitch in the design and I've never seen anyone mention this problem on this forum or any other.

Anybody mounted these bags (and the 3P mounting system) and can speak to this?

Thanks.

Plenty of clearance
20160507_195449_2.jpg

BLB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the double-confirmation, timg. 
Does it also make the ridiculous rear taillight/plate combo look slightly less ridiculous? :)

Or should I still be saving my shekels for a tail tidy down the road…?
I think it does make it somewhat less horrible. But, as you can see, I mounted a double helmet lock bar and hyperlites along the top of the license plate, so I'm getting some use out of the whole thing. 
Here is a side shot -

New_Shad_bags_side_030916_forum.jpg

A-ha, I missed the helmet locks the first time. Sounds like good use of that piece! 
What brand of locks did you get and what piece are they attached to?

(any chance for a close up side shot of that area?)
I had those locks on my 2010 Concours 14, and transferred them over to the FJ. I suspect they are these - 
helmet_guardian_premium_helmet_security_lock_9_g.jpg

http://www.helmetguardian.com/

The cross bar mounts between the license bracket and the license plate, with supplied special tool required bolts for security.

Here are a couple side shots -

Tail_side_1_091716_forum.jpgTail_side_2_091716_forum.jpg

I attached the hyperlites to the side of the locks with the supplied double sided tape. I've had good comments on them. Anything to get the attention of the phone dead cager behind me.

I've left the pumpkin lights on the back because I think they work well with the Shad cases in place. I replaced them on the front with flatter LEDs though.

• Premium Member
Wow, that looks like a pretty sweet set-up - I'm gonna look into a set of them Helmet Guardians!

My last bike had hyperlites that were connected to the brake circuit and flashed under braking. They went when I sold the bike, though, and I've been trying to come up with relatively-non-tacky ways to get a little more visibility from the rear on the FJ. I've got he grey/black model and it really disappears at night.

Thanks much for the tips and visuals, @timg - very helpful!

...My last bike had hyperlites that were connected to the brake circuit and flashed under braking. They went when I sold the bike, though, and I've been trying to come up with relatively-non-tacky ways to get a little more visibility from the rear on the FJ. I've got he grey/black model and it really disappears at night....
...here's what I just added to my bike... bright as hell and looks pretty clean IMO (might install a modulator at some point). I too was concerned about brake light visibility, especially after I'd installed the SH48 top case. I have also turned my rear signal lights to act as running lights. I will post details tomorrow.
I've changed my tail light over to this for more visibility - 
motodynamic_tail_light.jpg
2014-2016 Yamaha FZ-09/MT-09/FJ-09* LED Tail Light with Integrated Alternating Sequential LED Signals in Clear Lens

https://www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/2014-2016-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09-sequential-led-tail-lights-clear.html

Stop Alert - utilizes 3 quick red flashes when brakes are applied initially
Sequential alternating yellow LED turn signals

I think upshift is right - I also have the 15 gray, and it can tend to disappear sometimes. I also added the knuckle guard running/signal lights to gain attention.

• Premium Member
I've been looking at that integrated rear light unit for a while now, @timg, but wondered about a few things:

1. Is it a pretty easy install?
2. Would I need the resistor bypass harness that's referenced in the product description?
3. Does it deactivate your existing rear turn signals or can those be kept active, too?

I kind of like @piotrek's idea of using the rear signals as running lights...

I've been looking at that integrated rear light unit for a while now, @timg , but wondered about a few things: 
1. Is it a pretty easy install?
2. Would I need the resistor bypass harness that's referenced in the product description?
3. Does it deactivate your existing rear turn signals or can those be kept active, too?

I kind of like @piotrek 's idea of using the rear signals as running lights...
It was easier to install than I expected. Disassembly was pretty obvious once you get into the tailpiece area. This really is designed for plug n play, to coin a phrase. Maybe a couple, three hours. 
If you do not have an LED type flasher installed (stock is not LED), you will not need the bypass now, but you may as well get it for free in case you go LED later.

All stock signals are active at the normal rate, if you follow the installation instructions - "To connect OEM + Integrated signals at the same time, please purchase optional splitter harness. Part number WH-SPL-Y02 and disable the resistors in the subharness.
Cut the 2 black wires to disable the resistors." Which was no big deal either, they design it all to fit together.
https://www.motodynamic.com/installation/Y-14FZ09.pdf

piotrek usually has excellent ideas, maybe the second best around ;)

• Premium Member
I recently rode over 1,000 miles in 3 days, 2-up, using the Shad 36 cases. She also wore a backpack. We had plenty of storage (she can't travel without make-up, curling iron, etc.) We went to TN/NC to ride the Tail of the Dragon and explore the mountains. Since they will fit an XL helmet, we left them attached after unloading our baggage at the hotel. It was nice being able to secure our helmets when stopping for food. My main concern/worry with these bags was ground clearance. I get pretty spirited in the corners, and was afraid I'd drag them. I was pleasantly surprised that they never touched the ground, even on the Tail of the Dragon. To anyone on the market for hard bags: I see no down side to the Shad 36 cases.

Archived