New Guy Intro

phpaul

New member here, just bought a '16 FJ09 this afternoon.

I'm 65, retired and have been riding since 1966,  mostly dirt bikes/enduros and street bikes of various types, Most recently a '79 Yamaha XS650 and a '74 Suzuki GT550.  Both of those go on the block to finance the new FJ.  I decided I needed to forge my way into the 21st century and experience modern power, brakes and suspension.  Plus, I'm a bit tired of diddling with carbs every time I want to ride :D

This is my first brand new bike since about 1981 so I'm pretty stoked.  Daughter (on her '12 Ninja 250) and I will be putting some serious miles on it tomorrow and probably Monday as well.  We're looking at a gorgeous 4th of July weekend here in Downeast Maine.

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, glad to have you join us.

Long time since a new bike, a lot has changed, get ready to have some fun.....

• Premium Member
New member here, just bought a '16 FJ09 this afternoon. 
I'm 65, retired and have been riding since 1966,  mostly dirt bikes/enduros and street bikes of various types, Most recently a '79 Yamaha XS650 and a '74 Suzuki GT550.  Both of those go on the block to finance the new FJ.  I decided I needed to forge my way into the 21st century and experience modern power, brakes and suspension.  Plus, I'm a bit tired of diddling with carbs every time I want to ride :D

This is my first brand new bike since about 1981 so I'm pretty stoked.  Daughter (on her '12 Ninja 250) and I will be putting some serious miles on it tomorrow and probably Monday as well.  We're looking at a gorgeous 4th of July weekend here in Downeast Maine.

Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your ride as much as I do.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Very cool! I too have ridden the Enduro type bikes for many years, and love my FJ09. Perfect all around motorcycle for the street and light dirt/fire road use.

Welcome to the FJ world. Lots of cool stuff for this bike.

firstride.jpg

First Ride Report:

My daughter (left with the black Ninja 250) and I (right) rode about 120 miles today.  For my crippled old butt, that's a LONG ride and it went very well.  Only problem was the wind which was  blowing that little Ninja all over the road.  Didn't bother me a bit on the FJ.  (That's my grandson's R6 in the middle.  Long story and let's just say my advice was not heeded...)

I found the riding position VERY comfortable, particularly as compared to my old beaters.  I did start to get a little stiff the last 20 miles or so, but some conditioning will help that and I don't normally ride that far any more anyway.  There may be a nice touring seat in my future but a quick perusal of prices left me gasping...

The power, even in Standard mode, is amazing.  I don't believe I ever wound it past 6K and it just pulls like a freight train.  Conversely, it's quite happy at 55 in 6th and will pull very well without downshifting if that's what you ask of it.  I'm being consciously conservative for several reasons:  It's new and getting broken in, I didn't want to leave the Baby Ninja in the dust and it's been a LONG time since I rode a bike with anything like that much git.

I think this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship...

Welcome to the forum and to ABS and to traction control.
And fuel injection!
Fer shure.   
It is SO nice to just tap the button and listen to it purr while I put my gear on.  No diddling the choke or tweaking the throttle trying to keep it running long enough to warm up.

Grandson's first comment:  "You need a louder muffler"  Uh, nope.  This old fart is perfectly happy with the stocker.

Archived