• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Midlife Crisis Tour

rustyshackles

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks.  Recently did a ride from San Diego to northern CA and had spent a bunch of time importing some nice routes/roads and it turned into a thoroughly frustrating experience trying use Basecamp.  If I deviated from the route or turned off the unit I was screwed.  Did you use "Create a Route" or just leave your route as a "Track"?  From what I've learned subsequently, leaving the route as a "Track" rather than importing it as a "Route" might be the key to not having the Zumo recalculate things.
No. It's not instead of, it's in addition to. After you've created your route and confirmed its going where you want, create a track. After you send the route to device, then send the track to device. On the Zumo, import the route, then import the same file in "off road tracks". By doing that, if the Zumo deviates from your originally intended course, the screen will display the original 'track' in a different color -just follow the track until the two lines converge again. 
It's important to confirm your desired route is actually going where you intend before exporting to device. Once you export...

Logic says recalculating is a good idea, but it doesn't respond consistently to a written/imported route. It's best to turn OFF recalculate when using an imported route and use the track you imported to confirm your course. Recalculate works fine when you let Zumo plot your course but can really get goofy on an imported, pre-prepared route.

It's inexcusable Garmin's Basecamp instructions are non-existent, especially since it appears the software and algorithms were written by space aliens.
Thanks bentaero!  That's great info, I'll try this next time.  
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

What a great way to get out and clear the mind and revitalise the body.  The passport hunt, is like treasure hunt I take it? great idea and way to expand what you get to see.

The pics are fabulous a really credit to you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Archie and hope you get to spend many valued days with him.

Glad you restored some balance into you life (some could take a leaf from your book).

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 1 month later...
Nice ride report. I picked up on it a few days as you were traveling, but got interrupted with my own rides and just today got back to read more. For your information I was the McMenamin's architect for over 16 years and most of the buildings you noted were projects I got to participate in. My partner did most of the early McMenamins as we started doing their work in the late 80's on their 6th pub. We did 2-4 a year for 4-5 years then got handed such projects as Edgefield, Crystal Ballroom, Kennedy School and The Grand Lodge. My favs are Kennedy School, Imbrie Hall and Rock Creek Tavern. Two of those being new buildings. Some of them lasted many years, such as Edgefield which took as much as 20 years to get where it is now. I designed a spa at Edgefield three times and yet it didn't get built until 4 years after I stopped doing their work. I have stories. Doing their work was one of the high points in my 40 year architectural practice with over 90 design attempts and at least 50 actual projects. (actually never counted how many we helped get built).

Next time you visit a McMenamins, give me a call: 503-789-4450, Ken

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived